The Masterchief Is Not 7 Foot Tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean to try and get anything started with the canon/non canon statement. Any information we can get is good information if it comes from a reliable/verifiable source. Will this info change my armor? NO. I'll make it to fit me. I don't want to wear stilts or look through my breastplate. I did consider removing my kneecaps... :lol:

I think there will always be updates to all the measurements from Halo. Be it MC, Arbiter, grunts, brutes, weapons, you name it. We all need to make our armor/weapons in the scale that is right for us.

tlither said:
I didn't mean to try and get anything started with the canon/non canon statement. Any information we can get is good information if it comes from a reliable/verifiable source. Will this info change my armor? NO. I'll make it to fit me. I don't want to wear stilts or look through my breastplate. I did consider removing my kneecaps... :lol:

I think there will always be updates to all the measurements from Halo. Be it MC, Arbiter, grunts, brutes, weapons, you name it. We all need to make our armor/weapons in the scale that is right for us.

Damn skippy. [even IF my armor just might be 1/3 the size of MC's...] :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.
MC is a freakishly large monster either way.
Chaos you had to have at least a slight inclination to take that statue and drag it away as fast as possible.
..... I know I would.

That wax sculpt could've been much, MUCH better considering the realism of the more complicated, human characters.
Look at his left shin/knee...!
We need to figure out how that visor was made... It looks like a giant version of the H3 helmet.

This is probably answered somewhere but its sorta related.

Are the weapons MC sized for the marines?
Id assume so, so that ammunition would be compatible in the field and so that MC could still use any human weapons.

Maybe we should scale our weapons up too?

I'll go with whatever the literature approved by bungie says. Video games are a representation more the factual IMO. Even a battle in a computer is merely an artistic representation of the "real life" version of the story (hence different dificulty modes, bullets doing more damage, ect). Basically, if bungie has allowed him to be called 7 foot or whatever, thats enough for me, if we start looking for inconsistencies (especially artistic) I don't think it would be too difficult to start a list of "this don't make sense" stuff.. I know I could run a pretty lengthy list.

Camera's in video games are not like actual camera's. If they were, objects such as grenades and guns would be hard to spot, so the game designers enlarge them to be clearly visible, but not so much as to seem unrealistically sized. This can be easily recognized by some of the pep scaling problems from models ripped from the games. This is kind of hard to explain, but those of you who work in 3d modeling may know what I am talking about. Basically, what I am trying to say, is that the in game camera is based on the player view of the in game environment, so scaling of objects varies widely based on player interaction. A grenade in the hand is often not the same model as a "to be picked up" grenade laying on the ground.(the one on the ground is often significantly larger)

I hope that made sense.

Another way to look at it, is that there is not genuine depth perception in video games 3d or otherwise. It has to be faked with tricks of proportion and camera view.

That didn't sound like it made sense either... I give up :p

That faked sizing is what we see and know as the visual representation of Halo. THeir faked sizes versus known in-game sizes would give us items that are sized as they appear in the game.

However, it's useful to note that untouched weapons are larger on the ground than when in someone's hands. The relationship in size is what you need to determine, and if the size of the model is 7.5 feet tall, the gun they are carrying is in relation to that size.. not to a size listed in the manuals and stuff.

That's why the plasma grenade is listed as being 6" in diameter. If you throw a plasma grenade next to an inactive grenade on the ground, you can certainly see a size difference.

More compelling, try watching an oddball when someone's carrying it and then drops it. It definately increases in size because it's no longer sized in relationship to the model carrying it. (the oddball is larger than a spartan skull would be anyways, but it's good for seeing the dramatic shift in size).

Canon? they're both good enough. but as far as comparing items to them for sizing? use the model sizes if you're comparing them to other model sizes.. it only makes sense... they aren't sized for a 7 foot tall person, they're sized to a 7 foot 6 person.

Want a good way to measure a weapon in reference to your body scale?

Here's my way:

Let's all "assume" master chief is seven feet for this example.

Realistically, the body is proportional.

Meaning, the upper half of your torso (including your head) should be equivalent to the lower half of your torso.
EG: If your seven feet tall, from your head to the bottom of your stomach, you should be 3.5 feet tall, and then 3.5 from the top of your hip to the bottom of your feet.

It should scale out as pictured below....

MCscale.jpg

Now if Master chief is seven feet tall...his arm, should be as long as his gun.

mcscaling2.jpg

Using adam and link's pictures, adam's arm is..."3 feet long" for example, then the rifle, starting from the back of the rifle, should be almost as long as his arm......

mcscale3.jpg

Consider that food for thought....(using somewhat off proportions and the top of my head....generally weapons will come out to about that scale in my opinion)

Darke

Honor, Armor, Unity
The 405th

okay, but put that same weapon in the hands of a human marine- say someone who is 6 foot.

Shouldnt it be giant in comparison? a 3 foot long weapon right? with the fire rate and recoil would it be like firing an m60/saw?

I would go into Halo 3, and look at your marines while holding their weapons.

The game being as it is, automatically scales any weapon to fit whomever holds it.
Hence, why the marines weapons look normal when they hold it, and also why it looks normal when you pick it up yourself ingame, but print out that same weapon at the default object size in pepakura and it will look MONSTROUS in your hands, because it's game vs real life...the above post is in reference to real life scaling, and how you really should think in terms of weapon size. A good example is the brute grenade...print that out in pepakura and its gigantic, even the WETA team made a big brute grenade...the pictures are here on the 405th somewhere.
At any rate, it's worth noting that that's why we have a scaling method to scale our pepakura pieces to OUR size, and not the master chief/marine size....because those sizes, granted will be different than our sizes, because....game model vs human.

Never gonna have the same scale...period.

Skippster86 said:
okay, but put that same weapon in the hands of a human marine- say someone who is 6 foot.

Shouldnt it be giant in comparison? a 3 foot long weapon right? with the fire rate and recoil would it be like firing an m60/saw?

I think the weapons should be scaled to a normal human's measurements. Spartan's don't make the guns, and there surely aren't as many Spartans as there are regular Marines, so it makes more sense that way. If you select someone's name in a Pre-Game Lobby, and look at the size of the Assault Rifle compaired to the Spartan, it looks relatively small.

EDIT: added should, and agree with Darkesword.

leegrisham said:
Wow.
MC is a freakishly large monster either way.
Chaos you had to have at least a slight inclination to take that statue and drag it away as fast as possible.
..... I know I would.

Trust me...I was so friggen tempted to just break back in there after the place closed......

But the lady that was there watched us I guess to make sure we didn't end up doing something stupid. Me and the other girls wanted to pile ourselves at his feet and stare up at him like he was our savior xD

That didn't go over too well =[

But aside from that, the fact sheet that was there off to the left [not in picture] said that Bungie worked with the wax shop to scale the statue to actual size in RL so I would only assume that it's accurate. The sheet said MC stood 7'2" in armor. But here he's crouched slightly.

In the end WHO CARES?! Even if the MC was like....I don't know....5'5" [>.>.....<.<.....xD] he'd still kick friggin ass.

All we know is, he is quite taller than a normal human male. Just scale your armor [and weapons] to your body type and if anyone has a problem with how you scaled it just no-scope them in the face and tell them to have a nice day =D

Adam said:
This is crap. he's 6'6 and 7' in armor... *plugs ears*
I would agree. Besides, 7' is just about 2 meters, and thats not that giant.
*Plugs ears*

Skippster86 said:

You're actually right on the money there. The AR uses the 7.62x51mm round (.308 caliber) that the M-14, the M-60 and its replacement, the M240, use. An M60 can, in fact, be fired from the shoulder. The weight would be the primary concern, the recoil is managable and could be dealt with with the appropriate compensator. I would think that the futuristic AR would be much lighter than the current crop of 7.62mm machine guns, probably akin to the 7.62mm versions of the M4 that are making their way into the hands of operators in the present day.

nice. Ive fired the m4 and its manageable, I suppose its close to what the AR from Halo could do. Gotta love that sound.

Now back to the MC sizing. How does he fit inside warthogs, scorpion tanks, etc?

Skippster86 said:
nice. Ive fired the m4 and its manageable, I suppose its close to what the AR from Halo could do. Gotta love that sound.

Now back to the MC sizing. How does he fit inside warthogs, scorpion tanks, etc?
I bet he has to push the seat ALL the way back. :D

That's interesting.. you know how the weapons rescale themselves to large sizes when laying on the ground? Also how they rescale themselves when the master chief picks them up?

Do they actually rescale themselves again to a different size when a Marine grabs one? So they don't look too large?

I guess I gotta' do a film trading guns with marines and see if there's any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back