The Reaver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the Pillars as a mount was really clever. I like your work, and you've got a great idea going.

Kudos, brother.

After playing around with a few ideas on the blade core and not having much luck at all I am tempted to try something else out in the near future since I could be getting some more funds for this soon and I'm hoping you all may have an awnser for me. A friend of mine some time ago mentioned making a hollow fiberglass blade by Using fiberglass and the resin in each of the 2 halves of my blade mold then after trimming them up glue them together. Well I though about it and tried and 1 half did turn out some results it wasnt great. After doing some research I think I'm ready to make another attempt soon with carbon fiber and using the bagging procedure to make the layers bond tighter. My main question is what epoxy will bond 2 separate 1/2's together? If this works well I may even try the skull and wings section in this manner to keep the weight down for when carrying it around all day.

If anyone has had experience with carbon fiber bagging or making custom atuo parts like this and feel you can guide me in a good direction please feel free to do so. And for thoes that have been waiting on more updates on this sword I'm sorry its not more frequent... the lack of funds make this rough and the unemployment dosent help either.

I almost hate to revive this post by asking a question after such a long time but I am hoping you all can give me some tips if you have done something like this before. I am attempting to do a vacuum bagging set up so that I end up with just a light weight fiberglass form instead of a plastic part. Like most of the molds made here I am also using a silicone mold, but that is where the problem is. In order to get a good vacuum seal you normally use a 2 sided gum tape to hold the bag in place under pressure. The problem is no 2 sided tape that will stick to silicone. I am currently attempting to use a clamped down wood panel to keep a tight seal on the mold but I was wondering if you all had a better solution.
One thing I plan on doing for the rest of the molds I need to make, is put a dovetail cut on the outer edge of the silicone mold and then pour some plastic into that dovetail to give the tape something to hold on to. Does this sound good to any of you that may have done any vacuum bagging of fiberglass or carbon fiber?

a%3E

Here are a few pics of what I have going with that idea atm.

6330296222_ec3c51ef77.jpg
livebyhonor
DSC00201.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

And here is howthe sword looked before I started making the molds

reaver012-1.jpg

reaver013.jpg

reaver014-2.jpg

reaver011-1.jpg

and a short video showing how the Lightsaber testing went, And yes I said lightsaber. It's something I figured I would put in to make the sword as bad a** as I can
[video]http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/livebyhonor/?action=view&current=2011-10-14reaver002.mp4[/video]

a%3E
6329545915_0f36d858f0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back