The Scale Of Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friendly said:
Nice job, Reno... So does anyone know how to mix cement... in space?
Hmmm. How would you mix cement in microgravity? More importantly, how would you get the materials up there, not that cement has anywhere near the strength to support a structure the size of a Halo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can tell you what, you certaintly couldn't use concrete to make this following peice:

The ark.

I didn't do size listing because we only have best-guesses right now, but with it 'petaled' like that, it's approximately 10 times the size of halo, or 100,000km (100,000,000 meters) in diameter. Petaled, it's almost as big as Jupiter, and unfolded it's actually probably bigger.
So sorry, but if you wanted to make an Ark, you don't have the resources at all, heh.

(Note, that IS the same max file that I had before, but the scale is so rediculous that it was having z-depth rendering problems, so I went with an offline render. The pelican, PoA, T&R and Cov Capital ship are all still there, just invisible several times over.
And yes, I know the 2 'arms' on it bend a bit weird. I made this model in 5 minutes or so. Max doesn't support editing or moving stuff on that scale, so I had to work small, and then inflate it.)

I remember that someone, not too long ago, posted some random funny thread about actually building the halo ring. The title to the topic was "Life size halo ring project" or something like that and then he posted "Ok, guys. I have 10 000 kms of concrete, 8 000 trees" and so on. He was just kidding, but he posted it as if he was serious.

It might have been in this site or maybe another. All I know is that I wasn't a member back then.

Bravo Zulu on the 3d modeling. It illustrates the point well. Man, the Ark is stupidly huge! It's hard to truly grasp numbers on that scale.

You know, looking at the UNSC vessels, you realize there was an intense investment poured into one ship.

That kind of investment would only be countered by something along the plans for the Bering Strait (Baring?) Bridge, and the Trans-Atlantic tunnel, both of which would require astronomical resources and money from almost every country on Earth to build. I remember one estimate saying that the Trans-Atlantic tunnel would require every steel mill (plus all of it's suppling mines) to work at full capacity for 3 YEARS. NON-STOP.

Each of those vessels would require a similar amount of resources and effort. Then you remember that the UNSC, at its peak, probably has about 150-200 vessels in the fleet. Resources from other planets would be required. Untold amounts of labor would be needed, not to mention all of the hazards building one of those in space!

Yeah, that's definately true about the UNSC ships.
For perspective against real-life ships, the USS Iowa Battleship clocked in at 270 meters long. A modern aircraft carrier is only 257 meters.

The Halcyon/Marathon class cruisers(more or less the middle-end size of ship) is about 4 times the length of a modern warship, let alone the extra materials considering the 2 meters of battleplate on the 'heavy' ships, and required extra materials required for operating in a vacuum.

That said, playing around with these models(and making the ark) and getting a real feel for the scale of the Halo universe was fun, and that said, I'm inclined to do various other curiosities and examples of stuff in the halo universe, pending I find good examples. If anyone wants to see something scale up to other stuff, lemme know and I could throw together a representory model and comparison shots.

And when talking about the scale of vehicles, you have to account for the fact that Bungie couldn't possibly have made EVERY object in-game with the exact dimensions as they would be in real life. Sure, they gave us all the info for halopedia, but seeing that Halo is becoming more of than a game (Like Star Wars is more than a movie) Bungie could have sat down and drawn every thing out and purposely not thought about the games.

I've heard some people in another thread saying there's no way the warthog could be 14 feet long... but thinking about what it would have to go though via terrain (and plasma bolts) it seems suitable. When we discuss the gi-normous size of all things halo, we should compare more along the lines of real-world scenarios and not just what it looks like in-game.

Remember, the master chief is mucho taller than you. Ever put on a pair high-heels and looked around?

ShearMe said:
And when talking about the scale of vehicles, you have to account for the fact that Bungie couldn't possibly have made EVERY object in-game with the exact dimensions as they would be in real life. Sure, they gave us all the info for halopedia, but seeing that Halo is becoming more of than a game (Like Star Wars is more than a movie) Bungie could have sat down and drawn every thing out and purposely not thought about the games.

I've heard some people in another thread saying there's no way the warthog could be 14 feet long... but thinking about what it would have to go though via terrain (and plasma bolts) it seems suitable. When we discuss the gi-normous size of all things halo, we should compare more along the lines of real-world scenarios and not just what it looks like in-game.

Remember, the master chief is mucho taller than you. Ever put on a pair high-heels and looked around?
I seem to recall that someone pulled apart the game meshes and found that everything is indeed built on the same scale. The only exceptions (this was for Halo:CE) was Halo and Threshold, which were only seen at a distance, so were built at a different scale. So Bungie's modelers were very consistent. The Warthog dimension discussion is an interesting one. Consider this, a HMMWV used by the army is 15 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 6 foot tall.

Decided to add some new ones(only a few), and also polish-up the current models by getting their textures in and whatnot(though the Truth and Rec model goes untextured at the moment :'( )

Newcomers being the Shadow Covenant heavy transport from Halo 2, a Phantom dropship, and a Longsword interceptor in the first set.

Next adding in the UNSC Frigate class with In Amber Clad...

A higher-lod(prettier) Pillar of Autumn...

Then the covenant ships with the Truth and Reconciliation and an Assault Carrier.

And then the final comparison shot against Halo itself(that ity-bity spec on the right next to the text is the covenant Assault carrier model ;) )

This is probably the last re-tred of this comparison set for now unless I make/come across more Halo objects to comare against. I could pull people in, spartans, etc, but that wouldn't warrant as much attention as the ships and installations, I think.
Also, I agree, the scale, outside a select few things, has been highly consistant in design and exectution so far.

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
I seem to recall that someone pulled apart the game meshes and found that everything is indeed built on the same scale. The only exceptions (this was for Halo:CE) was Halo and Threshold, which were only seen at a distance, so were built at a different scale. So Bungie's modelers were very consistent. The Warthog dimension discussion is an interesting one. Consider this, a HMMWV used by the army is 15 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 6 foot tall.

Never mind then :rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back