thinking about making a suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
im thinking about making a MJOLNIR suit, but im kinda having a tough time getting started. i think im going to make the helmet first, so that way if i tak a break on the rest of the suit for whatever reason, ill at least have the helm :) but im not sure wich construction method to use. so as far as i can see, toy can cut out cardboard shapes and put them together, and harden them with fiberglass cloth and resin, or you can somehow make a mold and use some sort of silicon mixture. i think the first method maybe the easiest, because i obviously dont have a mold. can anyone give me some insight?

Your right, Pepekura (aka the paper way) with reinforcement is probably the easiest, noobile friendly way. After you get the skill of building a suit, or just have lots and lots of money to play with, then you should consider molding. But take a few minutes to look through the pepekura section of the creation forum, read some of the stickies at the top, then look at a few of our users works in the gallery. Good Luck.

Cardboard/Pepakura would probably be the easiest for your first job, while the molded ones are for more advanced makers. The Pepakura model will run you from anywhere between $50-$300 from what I heard (depending on how detailed it is) and the molded will run over $1,000, but I'm not sure on an exact amount.

Cardboard would be your best bet, it's cheap, but if you want durable armor, make a pepakura model. Also, you could do as I am, I am using Pepakura, but I am gluing it to cardboard to make cardboard armor, using regular paper (I do not see why cardstock would be needed here).

I am also using hot glue instead of duct tape, to make it a little more durable.

I hope this helps you some, and I only explained what I'm doing to give you an idea of how some people do it.

I'm off, going to work on mine now, good luck, hope you have fun!

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Cardboard/Pepakura would probably be the easiest for your first job, while the molded ones are for more advanced makers. The Pepakura model will run you from anywhere between $50-$300 from what I heard (depending on how detailed it is) and the molded will run over $1,000, but I'm not sure on an exact amount.

Cardboard would be your best bet, it's cheap, but if you want durable armor, make a pepakura model. Also, you could do as I am, I am using Pepakura, but I am gluing it to cardboard to make cardboard armor, using regular paper (I do not see why cardstock would be needed here).

I am also using hot glue instead of duct tape, to make it a little more durable.

I hope this helps you some, and I only explained what I'm doing to give you an idea of how some people do it.

I'm off, going to work on mine now, good luck, hope you have fun!

110lb. CARD STOCK!!!!!. its easy to bend yet holds its shape very well. its relatively cheap and u can get it almost anywhere. cardboard on the other hand is freakin hard to work with i think

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan857 said:
110lb. CARD STOCK!!!!!. its easy to bend yet holds its shape very well. its relatively cheap and u can get it almost anywhere. cardboard on the other hand is freakin hard to work with i think
IF you make a full Pepakura one yes, but if you are doing as I am with the cardboard, cardstock really isn't needed, seeing as the cardboard IS the durable main structure, lol

Spartan857 said:
Regular paper glued to cardboard? regular printer paper is crappy for this job, you need card stock no matter what. If you go the cardboard way, you'll buy lots of bondo body filler to make the armor look decent, or else you have a messed up project, if you go the pepakura way, you buy lots of resin, but heck, resin is always cheaper than body filler, both have similar results in the finished set of armor, but pepakura seems to be the easiest to most people.

thanks guys! ive read the pepakura tut and have downloaded all the necessary files, but will have to acquire lots of card stock it seems...but im going to start with the helmet and get that perfect. how much would enough card stock, resin, and whatever else you need cost for just the helmet?

Ummm You buy everything in massive ammounts, so HERE IT COMES, GET READY TO EMPTY YOUR WALLETS AND GO IN DEBT!.

2 cans of fiberglass resin 24 dollars
3 sheets of 3x3 fiberglass cloth 18 dollars
paint 20-30 dollars depending on brand, color.
cardstock 8-12 dollars for 150-250 sheets
paintbrushes for resin, 10 dollars
newspaper....free
visor 40 dollars
sooooooooo....the main stuff is 50-100 dollars, gloves, black clothing, and other items can add more to the price. I'd say 150 dollars from start to finish, maybe more.

well i sure didnt think that the resin and fiberglass cloth would be that much. i can deal with the resin cost, but really how much fiberglass cloth would i need for the helmet? now im sure im geting a job right when i turn 16 (this feb)

Spartan857 said:

Cardboard can be VERy annoying to work with, but when it works, it works purdy dang fine.

Dude, you've got a huge sig :lol:

AoBfrost said:
Regular paper glued to cardboard? regular printer paper is crappy for this job, you need card stock no matter what. If you go the cardboard way, you'll buy lots of bondo body filler to make the armor look decent, or else you have a messed up project, if you go the pepakura way, you buy lots of resin, but heck, resin is always cheaper than body filler, both have similar results in the finished set of armor, but pepakura seems to be the easiest to most people.
Well, its barely glued, as in, I only glued it to help me with the fold, but I will be taking it off right before I glue it all together, looking at the paper to show me where to glue it all. Sure it will take longer, but I do not care :)

Hey all. I'm new to this site as my son decided this morning that he wants to be M.C. for Halloween (IN 2 WEEKS!! o_O ). I've read many, many topics on Pepakura but cannot seem to find the links for the Pepakura printouts. All the links I've tried, have expired, or say that at least. Can someone repost them so I can hopefully get going on the project for my son?

Thanks very much in advance!!

Theres no way anyone can get this project done in 2 weeks, I begand 3 weeks ago and I am only 60-70% done and working 3 hours a day, if you work 16 hours a day on the project then you could get it done, the only alternitive I can think of is buying some soccer and football padding for arms and legs and spray painting it green, then buying a paintball mask for your son, I saw someone on ebay sell this type of "armor" once.

Just for reference I have completed all the armour (in making stage) I still have all the resin and fiberglass to go.
I am a complete beginnner and i have spent a total of 60 hrs so far ( that included making a second helmet, as the pooping glue monster left his calling card all over my first one).
The previous poster makes a good point, if you are woking full time as well, you are gonna struggle.

One more bit of advise ( from my experince) i wouldn't do the helmet first if you have never made pepakura stuff before. Make some of the simple stuff and get better.

link to the tut and database for everything...i think
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3144
and this is the direct armour only
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1648

Steve

See steve is living proof a suit in 2 weeks is impossible, he is making asuit for his son and he is 75% done with everything, I dont know if you know how to resin or fiberglass, it is difficult and very messy and will take hours of work too, doing that will take about 1-2 weeks and painting can be done easily in 1-2 days if everything is done, except painting....

Steve said:
Just for reference I have completed all the armour (in making stage) I still have all the resin and fiberglass to go.
I am a complete beginnner and i have spent a total of 60 hrs so far ( that included making a second helmet, as the pooping glue monster left his calling card all over my first one).
The previous poster makes a good point, if you are woking full time as well, you are gonna struggle.

One more bit of advise ( from my experince) i wouldn't do the helmet first if you have never made pepakura stuff before. Make some of the simple stuff and get better.

link to the tut and database for everything...i think
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3144
and this is the direct armour only
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1648

Steve
omg!!! thats hilarious!!! "the pooping glue monster left his calling card all over my first one" i hate to laugh at such an unfortunate thing, but the way u said it is realy funny! you had me laughing my ass off for lik 2 minutes!!!

DemonSandWizard said:
omg!!! thats hilarious!!! "the pooping glue monster left his calling card all over my first one" i hate to laugh at such an unfortunate thing, but the way u said it is realy funny! you had me laughing my ass off for lik 2 minutes!!!
After spending 20 hours doing my first helmet and seeing comparison after doing a few more pieces it really was the only way to describe what it looked like.

Just with reference back to the time i am spending. I working from home so I have basically not worked very much while doing this costume, also my time doesn't included the countless hours of reading I think every post on this forum until Mid-September, and also the countless visits to the store to buy something i forgot..(its an old age thing).
This is without doubt a HUGE project if you want to do things right..(or at least attempt to do it right in my case)

Anyway I finished resining the feet, calfs & lower arms today, So on the basis i don't wake up tomorrow and find everything has fallen apart. i hope to finished resining the outside armor tomorrow ( again a full day).

One question ,how do you support your pieces while they are drying, I ask as i am worried about the leg bands and side of the chest suit drying mis-shaped.

Pep, Definately, I started with the helmet, and its a little taxing, but when its finished, its worth the work. So do it the Paper way! ;)

Steve said:
After spending 20 hours doing my first helmet and seeing comparison after doing a few more pieces it really was the only way to describe what it looked like.

Just with reference back to the time i am spending. I working from home so I have basically not worked very much while doing this costume, also my time doesn't included the countless hours of reading I think every post on this forum until Mid-September, and also the countless visits to the store to buy something i forgot..(its an old age thing).
This is without doubt a HUGE project if you want to do things right..(or at least attempt to do it right in my case)

Anyway I finished resining the feet, calfs & lower arms today, So on the basis i don't wake up tomorrow and find everything has fallen apart. i hope to finished resining the outside armor tomorrow ( again a full day).

One question ,how do you support your pieces while they are drying, I ask as i am worried about the leg bands and side of the chest suit drying mis-shaped.
I just lay mine on their sides and resin half of the outside at a time, such as a leg peice, which ever way it will lea and balance itself, I resin that side, then whatever way it will lean another way, I resin the other side then after 2 times, the entire outside is resined, I usually do 3-4 peices this way just to make up for the other side of the peice not being done, that way I get more done quickly.

Also steve, i applaud you for not asking nubish questions, before I even joined the forums I had made half the armor already and didnt ask a single question, I guess my experience with pep before this project helped, but other things I was unfimilar with such as resin and fiberglassing, I was able to do from reading tutorials like you did, so good job and hope you finish your son's costume for halloween, too bad today for me is rainy like it has been the past week, when it's cloudy all i can do is paint peices I have already done...which takes like 30 minutes and then the rest of the day is wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back