Tips on folding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agenator

Okay so this weekend I started doing the backpack/chestplate (cutting and folding I mean) and for some reason my dad took interest and offered to start helping me with the folding. I had gone through and scored all of the pieces but the scoring hadn't helped much becuase it wasn't easy to fold also the ink was so dark I couldn't tell if it was black or blue ink (a major problem lol) anyway, my dad came up with a brilliant idea that to fold the peices together (for pepakura) just bend them over a ruelers edge. So I dont know if anyone has posted this already but, heres a mini tut on how to do it...

Supplies Needed (sorry I just like sounding official :p):
Ruler (thin edge, metal works great)
Pepakura Pieces

Process:
Step 1: Grab a Pepakura peice (Ill explain this as if to a child, for no apparent reason :) )
Step 2: Grab the ruler
Step 3: Decide weather your going to be doing a mountain or valley fold.
Step 4: If its a mountain fold, hold the piece on the back (no numbers) side of the ruler and bend the fold line over the edge. If its a valley fold, flip the piece over and bend it down which will create a valley fold (youll get the picture if you try it)
Step 5: Admrie those crisp fold lines :)

Okay so basically thats the 5 step process to saving hours of time scoring your folds which usually is a waste of time because of the added confusion and the low benefit/benefit ratio ... IMO.
Ejoy!

arnt you ment to use a blue and red pen? :D but yea i know what you mean. another handy thing is to get another ruler and use it to but up agenst the first to add extra crispyness (sometimes your fingers cant get it teribly flush).

I mentioned this is the folding tutorial sticky in the Pep forum, but the best thing I've ever used to create fold lines on paper models is a sewing seam ripper and a metal straightedge. The seam ripper leaves a small score line in the paper without actually cutting through the paper. This helps in the folding process and with thicker cardstock, it keeps the fold from "bunching" up and having ugly fold lines.

Xacto knife or box cutter,metal ruler, score each fold, peice folds itself, better than the pen and ruler idea, the pen mask away the line type then you may forget which way to fold the peice when all it's fold lines are solid black from the pen.

AoBfrost said:
Xacto knife or box cutter,metal ruler, score each fold, peice folds itself, better than the pen and ruler idea, the pen mask away the line type then you may forget which way to fold the peice when all it's fold lines are solid black from the pen.

Hence the reason to use a red pen and blue\black pen... easy enough... and with the pen method there is room for error, and you wont accidentally cut off your tabs.. you can score the edges, its just a different method, try them both, you will find one you like best.

Last edited by a moderator:
But scoring the pieces lightly wont cut the piece, I can score really hard and not cut half way through, I'd have to use some force to make a cut on my first try, not much force, but more than anyone would use to just "score" the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back