Tutorial Request Thread

FANGS

Commanding Officer
Community Staff
Division Staff
I'd like to start a list of items that people need semi-generic tutorials for. Things like how to work with a specific material you don't already see covered here. How to sew with certain fabrics. Weathering, painting, creating battle damage etc. If you can't find it and would like to know more about it, post it here and we'll try to put something together for you!

**Disclaimer - how to smack people with wet noodles is not available for a tutorial. That's secret, patented stuff. :lol:

1. Visor Dying - DONE - Visor Dying Tutorial

Last edited:
We have the process captured across a few separate members build threads, but if someone could write up a Visor dying and chroming tutorial in dedicated thread, I think that would be a very helpful resource.
Say I dye visors and chrome em'. I suppose I could try to write up a resource for that. I think I'll do one up

First, I love the idea here. When I made the tutorial index I definitely needed a way to voice missing tutorials. You may have noticed the (needed) topics in the table of contents.. But, having a space where people can ask is great. What they need may already be there just need a little direction.

Here are the topics I had mentioned us still needing a tutorial for:
Finding Armor Files on 405th (needed)
Selecting the right printer (needed)
Assembling a print (needed)
Forum Navigation (needed)
Also, can we get this new request thread stickied?

EDIT: I think I will start writing the Finding Armor Files tutorial​

Last edited:
PerniciousDuke - Can you elaborate a little more on "Assembling a print"
I'd love to assist with a Tutorial
Yeah, to show the process from print bed to finished prop specific for a type of plastic. So, nothing about how to 3d print, just once you receive the pieces unassembled, maybe somebody bought a kit online. The tutorial would show how to assemble it: glue, pegs and holes, metal rods etc. Then how to smooth it; perhaps straight sanding or adding a product ontop then sanding or using a liquid vapor method. But the tutorial should be focued to one type of plastic, like PLA or ABS, not both. Painting probably wouldn't need to be covered since that is already covered in armor tuts.

First, I love the idea here. When I made the tutorial index I definitely needed a way to voice missing tutorials. You may have noticed the (needed) topics in the table of contents.. But, having a space where people can ask is great. What they need may already be there just need a little direction.

Here are the topics I had mentioned us still needing a tutorial for:
Finding Armor Files on 405th (needed)
Selecting the right printer (needed)
Assembling a print (needed)
Forum Navigation (needed)
Also, can we get this new request thread stickied?​
EDIT: I think I will start writing the Finding Armor Files tutorial​
"Selecting the right printer" may be a hard one to cover as there really isn't a "Right" printer. We have the "What's your printer" thread that allows members to post which printers they own and what they have printed on them.
You can give general recommendations on bed size, printer type, and filament usage but other than that its hard to narrow down.

"Selecting the right printer" may be a hard one to cover as there really isn't a "Right" printer. We have the "What's your printer" thread that allows members to post which printers they own and what they have printed on them.
You can give general recommendations on bed size, printer type, and filament usage but other than that its hard to narrow down.
Not to mention it'd need to be updated at least once weekly, as they get released so often.

So maybe instead of "Selecting the right 3D printer", the tutorial could be along the lines of "What to look for in a 3D printer"?

Rock Lobbster I have thought the what's your printer thread was a great idea. I'll check it out and see, we might just link to it.

marinesniper a tutorial on nylon webbing, elastic and velcro would be a great topic! As well as one on sewing spandex undersuit. Thanks!

How do balaclavas work? what are they made of? are they warm? they look uncomfortable but cool, is this true?

How do balaclavas work? what are they made of? are they warm? they look uncomfortable but cool, is this true?
-Balaclavas are a head covering that are worn under the helmet and tucked into the undersuit top.
-They can be made out of a wide variety of materials.
-That depends on what they are made of.
-I have never experienced any discomfort from wearing a balaclava. In fact many of my helmets are more comfortable when worn with a balaclava than without.

I use these because they are long enough to easily tuck into the undersuit too, are thin, breathable, and are modestly moisture wicking.

-Balaclavas are a head covering that are worn under the helmet and tucked into the undersuit top.
-They can be made out of a wide variety of materials.
-That depends on what they are made of.
-I have never experienced any discomfort from wearing a balaclava. In fact many of my helmets are more comfortable when worn with a balaclava than without.

I use these because they are long enough to easily tuck into the undersuit too, are thin, breathable, and are modestly moisture wicking.

Man, that’s pretty neat. I didn’t know it made the helmet more comfortable. What about the more screen accurate ones that people make?

A scuba hood is more accurate, still not 100% though. I can tell you, they are not very breathable and most certainly will keep you a bit warm.

Man, that’s pretty neat. I didn’t know it made the helmet more comfortable. What about the more screen accurate ones that people make?
Those will tend to be Neck Seals, not true Balaclavas, as they are only designed to cover the neck and up to ears or so, while a balaclava is a fabric garment. As those tend to be sculpted, molded and cast, they will invariably be out of a material like silicone or latex, and as such they will not be breathable.

I'm not sure the "Tutorial Request" thread is the best place for these questions though?

Rock Lobbster I have thought the what's your printer thread was a great idea. I'll check it out and see, we might just link to it.

marinesniper a tutorial on nylon webbing, elastic and velcro would be a great topic! As well as one on sewing spandex undersuit. Thanks!
I think making another thread of "what I wish I knew when I started 3d printing" and get members inputs in that matter.
After that I can combine information from both the "what's your printer" thread to get the most popular printers (that have worked till now) and then also tips on what to look for when getting your first printer into 1 mega thread for introducing new members to 3d printing for cosplay.

Those will tend to be Neck Seals, not true Balaclavas, as they are only designed to cover the neck and up to ears or so, while a balaclava is a fabric garment. As those tend to be sculpted, molded and cast, they will invariably be out of a material like silicone or latex, and as such they will not be breathable.

I'm not sure the "Tutorial Request" thread is the best place for these questions though?
Oh my bad, thanks for answering anyway! One tutorial that I think might be useful is "Multicolored/Layered Visors" it would be awesome for new builds if someone is able to figure it out

Oh my bad, thanks for answering anyway! One tutorial that I think might be useful is "Multicolored/Layered Visors" it would be awesome for new builds if someone is able to figure it out
What is a "layered visor?"

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back