Tutorial: Wood Glue Pepakura Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found you YouTube on this and it got me back here! The wood glue is a great idea just be careful of heat sources with your prop I'm going with a extra layer of sandals primer spray between coats of gorilla glue. Then aplying bondo after for definition and to get rid of the blocky edges. Hoping it's all done by the end of October anyone have experience with bond over the hardened glue yet?

Found you YouTube on this and it got me back here! The wood glue is a great idea just be careful of heat sources with your prop I'm going with a extra layer of sandals primer spray between coats of gorilla glue. Then aplying bondo after for definition and to get rid of the blocky edges. Hoping it's all done by the end of October �� anyone have experience with bond over the hardened glue yet?

Glad to hear you are stoked on this method man, but take a quick look at the previous dates on a thread, as this one was 6 months old. Bumping up old threads more than 3 or so months old unless adding new content or a solid update is frowned upon, as it bumps down newer threads with newer info.

hello all i am the necroposter who walks in the night...anyway just wanted to chime in and say that i have had MAJOR success using this method and on a lark decided to try out dried baby wipes from a pack that my son had hidden in his stash of stuff he keeps hiding from us, and found that dried baby wipes make an AMAZING fiberglass cloth substitute. i made a daedric helmet using this combination of titebond type 2 and the baby wipes and even though i can actually still fold up the large horns, the feel hard when you knock your knuckle against them and they return to their normal shape with NO CRACKING. the wood glue/baby wipe combo actually even seems able to stand up to impact even better than the fiberglass build i did before. i was wondering if paper towels could serve as a cloth replacement in a pinch though. i will have to give it a shot and see how THAT works. (edited for typo)

Wood Glue Pepakura Method

Will this work for a halloween costume? Because I'm only a teenager and I don't trust myself with a toxic material. (cause it can harm me, not cause i'll purposely inhale it) Also, do I still need to bondo and how would i make it smoother so it doesn't look terrible.

Re: Wood Glue Pepakura Method

Will this work for a halloween costume? Because I'm only a teenager and I don't trust myself with a toxic material. (cause it can harm me, not cause i'll purposely inhale it) Also, do I still need to bondo and how would i make it smoother so it doesn't look terrible.
Bondo too needs a respirator. It can cause a lot of side affects, so watch out ;)

For if the woodglue method works with a halloween costume, I don't see why not. But you'd still need a way to smooth the edges (especially if you use a low-detail model) or to bring the details in. There are alternatives for bondo as well, but none prove as effective..

If you wear a respirator and gloves (latex disposable onces are good) you'll have virtually no risk as long as you don't inject the resin in your bloodstream or go swim in a pool of hardener. The little air that might get in your respirator is little to none. If you're not confident enough, get a supervisor to help :)

Good luck!

Bondo too needs a respirator. It can cause a lot of side affects, so watch out ;)

For if the woodglue method works with a halloween costume, I don't see why not. But you'd still need a way to smooth the edges (especially if you use a low-detail model) or to bring the details in. There are alternatives for bondo as well, but none prove as effective..

If you wear a respirator and gloves (latex disposable onces are good) you'll have virtually no risk as long as you don't inject the resin in your bloodstream or go swim in a pool of hardener. The little air that might get in your respirator is little to none. If you're not confident enough, get a supervisor to help :)

Good luck!
i actually found a wood filler that i was told by the guy at Home Depot works as well as bondo without any of the chemical hazzards normally associated with it so there is always that option.i cannot remember the brand of wood filler at the moment as i have the can in the bottom of my storage box and havent had time to dig it out yet but i do know its a white can with red and black trim if i remember correctly

i actually found a wood filler that i was told by the guy at Home Depot works as well as bondo without any of the chemical hazzards normally associated with it so there is always that option.i cannot remember the brand of wood filler at the moment as i have the can in the bottom of my storage box and havent had time to dig it out yet but i do know its a white can with red and black trim if i remember correctly

Wood filler can work, altho more brittle (and maybe even heavier). Test it on a test-piece first, try to make some fake details on the test piece and try to give it a good old field test. If it's too prone to breaking/damage, you can always coat it in something like modpodge.
Remember to wear a dustmask when sanding ;)

Wood filler can work, altho more brittle (and maybe even heavier). Test it on a test-piece first, try to make some fake details on the test piece and try to give it a good old field test. If it's too prone to breaking/damage, you can always coat it in something like modpodge.

this particular one will work as well as bondo and he has used it as a substitute while doing auto body repair intending to have it be merely a temporary substitute until he had time to do a better job on it and was surprised that it didnt have any of the usual issues wood filler is prone to.
from what the guy told me,

well i still havent gotten out the can but i did find it on the website...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Durham-s-Rock-Hard-DU-4-4-lb-Water-Putty-DU-4/202535298 from wht i understand about this is that it will pretty much replace bondo without noticing any difference in performance. im trying to remember everything he said about it but i think he mentioned the possibility of wanting to put on a thicker layer as it is lighter than bondo and wont FEEL as solid even though it is just because of the weight difference but i cant remember if it was this or if he was talking about one of the other products i was thinking about trying.

well i still havent gotten out the can but i did find it on the website...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Durham-s-Rock-Hard-DU-4-4-lb-Water-Putty-DU-4/202535298 from wht i understand about this is that it will pretty much replace bondo without noticing any difference in performance. im trying to remember everything he said about it but i think he mentioned the possibility of wanting to put on a thicker layer as it is lighter than bondo and wont FEEL as solid even though it is just because of the weight difference but i cant remember if it was this or if he was talking about one of the other products i was thinking about trying.

I quickly read through the product details, and it takes 10 days(!) to fully dry..
Drying Time (hours) | 240 h

It's by no means a bondo killer, but it's a good alternative for people concerned about their health and budget.

ive found several references to mixing durham's with titebond type 2 or 3 to make it waterproof and (i woiuld say it reasonable to assume add flexibility) but havent found anything on HOW to do this yet

Maybe try using PYKRETE instead of rondo or glass/cloth inside.
Well, except... you know... use glue instead of ice to make the pykrete

Hey Hero, it's a good question. The fiberglass resin is the stronger method if done correctly, but for an inexpensive and thrifty way, cloth and wood glue will work. That being said, keep in mind of the dates on which you reply to....this thread is about 4 years old.

Do tutorials have a date limitation? I feel if the knowledge is there it's not totally off base. but I can see the concern for the dates.

Hey Hero, it's a good question. The fiberglass resin is the stronger method if done correctly, but for an inexpensive and thrifty way, cloth and wood glue will work. That being said, keep in mind of the dates on which you reply to....this thread is about 4 years old.
I apologize for necroposting. I didnt know about it up until a few minutes ago. It wont happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back