Um... Cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendaroura

Jr Member
Okay, I was fiberglassing my samus helmet today. Me and my friend were cutting up pieces of fiberglass cloth cutting up the fiberglass cloth... anyways long story short, I come back to my dorm room, throw my clothes in the washer, take a long shower and scrub all the $#!T off. We'll this $#!T is following me wherever i go! Im in my bed now at 2:51 am and this $#!T is in my bed, just the odd small strand of fiberglass. its on my jammies too. WTF? Should i be worried?

I wouldn't be too worried, fiberglass in general is a pain to get rid of as long as you don't inhale it, or let it get inside you body through cuts and such and don't let it linger in your skin for a long time, you should be fine.

I spent my apprenticeship crawling through roofs with fiberglass insulation. After being in contact with fiberglass the fibers get stuck into everything, tools, clothes, walls carpet everything! :p(think of them as very small acupuncture needles) even if you scrub yourself there's most probably going to be fibers left over. Best result for cleaning after using fiberglass is to have a really, really freaking hot shower/bath/sauna, so the pores of your skin open up and release the fibers that are stuck in you.

As for fibers in clothes, that was always a little more difficult, i usually just used a household vacuum cleaner and tried to remove as much as possible that way, but this was on hard wearing cotton drill clothes, so that may not be a good idea for finer fabrics, but worth a try. Washing in hot water a few times would also work, or even hanging out your clothes and linen and giving it a good whack. Lint removers (the sticky roller thingys) or plain ol' masking tape is also good for removing the fiberglass fibers.

I cleaned my uniforms alot in my apprenticeship if u didn't already guess :D Hope this helps.

[EDIT]

Almost forgot to mention. avoid washing clothes with fiberglass in them with anything else, more often than not fibers will spread and end up in places you really don't want them in :p

Thankyou very much! you have calmed my fears greatly :D , I will be washing my bedsheets tommarow to get the fibers off, and take a really hot shower.. Once again thankyou very much. You have been a great help!

You should try to rondo your pieces. It works really well when you don't want to mess with fiberglass, though I would recommend it if you want more strength.

I agree with with Metalfr3q. The sticky rollers or masking tape should work just fine.

-Pony

LegendAroura said:
Thankyou very much! you have calmed my fears greatly :D , I will be washing my bedsheets tommarow to get the fibers off, and take a really hot shower.. Once again thankyou very much. You have been a great help!

No worries, and good luck with your project :)

Last edited by a moderator:
also, I recommend you use a smock, coveralls, or some other head to toe covering while you work with the fiberglass, when you are done take it off and leave it with your work, that will keep you from bringing too much with you. oh and dont take a hot shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the water is hot it will open your pores. any fibers still on your skin will be able to work into your pores if they open up. take a lukewarm one first, wash head to toe, then turn the heat up. saves itching for days, did fiberglass tub repairs with my uncle for a summer, same materials we use on the armor. nasty stuff hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back