Undersuit for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwantaxbox360

So i am now looking for way to anchor the armour to an under suit for my son.

My wife found in target a black lyrca pants and top which after fitting the armour to it, looked good, However I am undecied about ways to anchoring the amour to the suit. I was thinking of 'press studs?' http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?int...trWebTemplate=C

I am concerned that velco will make a constant ripping sound in general movement.

Any suggestions or or real life suggestions

steve

Just use a think black sweatshuirt, and thin black sweat pants, even dress pants may work, black socks, black shoes, velcro, I bought velcro just because the feet can be velcro'd to the velcro on the shoe itself.

You could buy a divers undersuit for 80 dollars, but I doubt anyone would notice if your son was wearing everyday clothes in black, they will be hyped about "OMG HE IS MASTERCHUIEEFFFFF"

I was in Target myself yesterday, while getting the new Transformers DVD. I bought kids baby blue thermal underwear ($6.50/set) and a bottle of RIT fabric dye ($2.50). This underwear fabric has a more subtle texture than the waffle texture of the thermals at walmart. I don't like the shiny sheen given off by lycra/spandex type fabrics.

After the dying I plan to paint on some detailing, loosely following Tsuyosa's sketches, with some 3d fabric paint from the craft store.

I plan to use velcro to attach the arm and legs pieces. I don't see it being a problem as the armor will be attached directly to the body part it is covering. I would be concerned if the pieces were daisy chained together and their combined weight were pulling velcro connections apart.

-dwoo

That a great link, i hadn't thought about adding 3D paint to the under suit, that a really good idea, Although i don't think i will have time before Halloween now, but a future addition to the suit definitely

Why do some people who've never done this before feel the need to give advice on this forum?

The press studs work pretty well for attaching armor to undersuits (I've always heard them labeled 'Heavy Duty Snaps). The recieving end should be epoxied onto the armor part, and the 'male' end should be fastened into the fabric... Get a set of the pliers that they sell for attaching these, or you can use a press punch to fasten the two sides of the male end together.. Depending on the strength of the fabric you may need to add a small scrap of fabric behind the undersuit to reinforce the snap.. so that it doesn't pull out of the fabric.

Theres a really good tutorial on using these heavy duty snaps here: scroll down to 'Snap Tutorial'

http://www.tk409.com/fett.html

Good luck with your sons suit... we'd love to see some photos!

That link should be put in the main set of tutorial links for the "Ways to make your armor look professional" thread, I think its called...

Ill probably be going with this route now.

Sean Bradley said:
Why do some people who've never done this before feel the need to give advice on this forum?

The press studs work pretty well for attaching armor to undersuits (I've always heard them labeled 'Heavy Duty Snaps). The recieving end should be epoxied onto the armor part, and the 'male' end should be fastened into the fabric... Get a set of the pliers that they sell for attaching these, or you can use a press punch to fasten the two sides of the male end together.. Depending on the strength of the fabric you may need to add a small scrap of fabric behind the undersuit to reinforce the snap.. so that it doesn't pull out of the fabric.

Theres a really good tutorial on using these heavy duty snaps here: scroll down to 'Snap Tutorial'

http://www.tk409.com/fett.html

Good luck with your sons suit... we'd love to see some photos!

Thanks for the advise, I will hunt out these snaps today. i am guess walmart or hobby lobby would sell something like that.

I resin half the Armour last night, will finished the rest today so by Sunday i should be able to put some primmer on?, I will put some more pics up then

Again thank you for the advise.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back