Unfolding Help / Doublechecking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamepotato

So i have spent the last almost 3 days of my spare time unfolding the Halo 5 Security helmet. I have been watching tutorials, and learning as i go. I have it completely unfolded, but feel like there could be improvements. I was hoping someone more experienced could double check my work, fix some mistakes if i have made any, or inform me of how i can do better/ use less paper/ group things more efficiently. I would really appreciate the help, and thank you for your time.

Your welcome bro! Was gonna say that the unfold will need a lot of refining. To have a good unfold first starts with specifying the edges for separation of the parts, that will later be layed out in the 2d view.. Although you would need more practice, I admire your willingness to try to do a unfold by yourself. Unfolding becomes better, or becomes something like second nature to you, once you've spent some time with assembling pepakura models.

What I'll do for now, I'll export the Obj. file from Pepakura, and then import it into Blender(which is a free 3d modeling program) to remove the tris to quads. Then import it back into pepakura. After that I'll specify all the edges, that way you can study the model a little bit to get an idea of what it should look like before hitting the unfold button. Will send you a link when done.

......................Gonna edit this post, because I imported the model into Blender, and it was just as I had expected. Most of the assets/resources aren't ready for Pepakura. If you look closely at the highlighted face, the only with all the dots in it. That's the one I first selected, then from there I hit Ctrl + to grow the selection. The rest of the selection is highlighted in orange. Within the orange area of faces you can see that some of the gray faces are poking through the orange faces. That means that the gray areas aren't actually connected they are just poking through. Thats not good for pepakura, everything needs to be connected. Pepakura won't put tabs on the pieces that don't connect to something else. Take a look at the pic below.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help and advice. Another thing i was curious about was if there was a setting that made the tabs slightly gray or something. I was hoping to make it slightly easier to tell the tabs apart from the actual model.

Thank you so much for your help and advice. Another thing i was curious about was if there was a setting that made the tabs slightly gray or something. I was hoping to make it slightly easier to tell the tabs apart from the actual model.

I far as I know I'm not sure. Usually you'll know where the tabs are by there fold lines that are right at the beginning of the tab. If your definitely not sure you can always use your computer to look, and see where the tabs are. All tabs pretty much have the same shape.

If you do end up unfolding this, I would definitely be interested in building a halo 5 security helmet

What can i do to remedy the situation? Should i find a different model?

I wouldn't suggest using another model. Reason being, I don't think you'll find another one. It will end up being the same. Like most of the resources we have they will all need some kinda of model prepping with a 3d modeling software, in order to use in Pepakura. I'll see what I can do, if I'm unable to get it workable for Pepakura, hopefully another gracious member here could offer some help getting ready. Maybe Crimmson

Thanks a billion! I will be patiently waiting. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back