US to Australian converions

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

Jr Member
any aussies out there may have noticed that the materials reccomended in the instructions are all american brand names. i have compiled a short list of the australian counterparts i have come accross so far and some tips for finding the things yourself. hope this helps

*Great Stuff: i have used both Bostik Expanda Foam($14 for a 580g can) and PARFiX Foam Fill($17 for a 565g can). i found these with the sealants in my local Bunnings. there are several brands depending on your budget.
*110(or whatever)lb cardstock: here our paper is measued in gsm, standard printing paper is 80 or 100gsm, i used 160gsm($15 for a 250 sheet ream) for my pepakura model and it worked fine, but if your printer has the muscle i would suggest 200gsm.
*Bondo: i havent done this one yet but i saw some body fillers near the sealants at bunnings, putty might also work if you are good at using it.
*fibreglass: the brand i used was diggers it comes in kits with the resin and cloth or you can buy bulk resin and cloth separately(reccomended, cheaper) the ctalyst is kept separately, its at the paint desk in my store, it comes with the kits also but you have to buy it separately if you go bulk.
I will post more if i think of them or as i come accross them, if you want to find something i havent listed, do a google search for the american brand eg. great stuff; look for a description of the product eg. expanding foam sealant; now do an australia only search for the afore mentioned description and it will come up with a heap of brands and shops to get them from. if you have any trouble just message me and i will try to help if i can.

hognoshal said:
... *Bondo: i havent done this one yet but i saw some body fillers near the sealants at bunnings, putty might also work if you are good at using it.
*fibreglass: the brand i used was diggers...

You can also get Septone brand fiberglass and bondo from Supercheap, the fiberglass repair kit is about NZ$30 and bondo is somewhere between NZ$15 and $50 depending on the size and Mitre 10 usually stocks the CRC branded bondo which I normally use.

Also if you can find it, ADOS (a section of CRC I believe) does a good epoxy resin, I think I get it for just under $100 per four litres. Can't really give any other fiberglass mat/cloth suppliers, I get mine through my former boss and I don't know who he gets it from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at officeworks, and the stationary department sells 200gsm paper in 100 sheet packs for about $11. Tablex brand and it's bloody good.

looks great, well done. did you attach the armor to your undersuit or are they all separate pieces held together in some way?

It's a sci-fi/pop culture convention in Melbourne later this year, a pretty good one (although the NZ one's are better). there’s a few of us (405th) going this year, hopefully all in our armor :D
http://www.armageddonexpo.com/

Also, check out this topic hognoshal: link

sweet well ill definately come if i can get the time off, but i think ill be in kapooka training then, so ill have to have a look at the situation closer to the date. i hope i can go that would be great and id love to actually meet some like minded halo fans, everyone here thinks im crazy for aking MJOLNIR, ill show them when im walking around town though.

hognoshal said:
everyone here thinks im crazy for aking MJOLNIR, ill show them when im walking around town though.
HAHA, i get that a lot. But i enjoy it for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think we are a rare breed here in australia, there are a few people though who cant wait to see me in it, i found out the other day my boss is a big halo fan, they really are everwhere. i dont just do it for the armour i do it for the satisfaction of building something for myself, plus ive always needed a hobby

yeh hi guys and gals i am using 240 gram cardstock from my dads workplace and it works pretty well if u have tha patience um sorry i dont realy have a price on it htough cause i get it for free but yeh i bought a level 3 fiberglass kit from bunnings warehouse in orange nsw for $57 and it has 1kg resin 1 square meter of firberglass cloth which i think is twice as cheap and catalyst measuring cup uno the works i havent gotten around to using yet but im hopeing that'll work like the others do i was also wondering if at ur bunning warehouse if u have the $10 foam cans cause if used bout 4 cans and it really does work wonders i just though to mention it if u wanna save a few pennies

I used to work at Bunnings, and I still have the discount card, it really does come into its own when you're buying bulk Fibreglass, sandpaper, and spraypaint.

Ok,Heres where to find all the armor supplies in Australia:

200GSM Paper: Officeworks.

Glue: Bunnings Warehouse, Sams warehouse and GOLO (plus any other craft shop).

Fiberglass Resin = Bunnings Warehouse.

Fiberglass Cloth/Matte = Bunnings Warehouse.

Body filler = Autobarn,Repco and Supercheap Auto.

Visors = Autobarn and Supercheap auto.

Silicone = AMCsupplies , Dalchem

Expanding foam:Bunnings Warehouse

Smooth-on products: Rowe Trading Company

Clay: AMCsupplies

That's it.If you have anything to add,please reply.

If you also need hinges for your suit like the boot and chest piece i highly suggest the 25mm butt hinges from bunnings warehouse that's what i use and they are barely noticable once the automotive car filler (bondo american term) and covered over them but mjolnir follower pretty much covered it if you aussies need help the UOPT (UNSC PRODUCTION TEAM) can help you guys out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back