Using A Silhouette Portrait With Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afr0Blu3

Jr Member
We recently got a Silhouette Portrait, a machine that basically cuts out shapes into various materials, paper, flock, cardstock, with amazing accuracy. The missus got it for a project she's working on, but it hit me, this could make Pep armour so much easier!

I had a look around, there are files to make Pepakura Designer compatible with a Silhouette Cameo, but it specifically states that the same files will not provide us compatibility with the Silhouette Portrait, the version we own.

One way would be to export each page and then manually import them into Silhouette's own software, which seems like a giant pain in the arse. Anyone got any other ideas?

EDIT: Update

Here's my most recent attempt, details the problems I'm coming across.

I go into Pepakura Designer, I scale and rearrange my various pieces.
01.jpg

I set paper type to A4 (because I live in the UK, that's our standard paper size), I increase the line thickness so the Silhouette can read it more easily, and I opt not to print the page number, because the Silhouette would then try to cut that page number out too.
02.jpg

For the same reason, I also turn off the edge IDs and fold lines, again, Silhouette would try to cut these out, and we don't want that.
03.jpg

I then use the following command to export the entire thing as separate image files, ready to import into Silhouette's own software.
04.jpg

This is Pepakura's pre-set size for those image files, following my previous settings.
05.jpg

I then open Silhouette Studio, the software for the Silhouette Portrait itself.
06.jpg

I import the file I exported from Pepakura.
07.jpg

Problem. The image is no longer the same size as the page, despite being exported as A4. It's also not in the same position on the page anymore.
08.jpg

What I know I could then go on to do if the alignment and size were correct, is select the Trace option.
09.jpg

This would then make the cut lines red, which indicates the Silhouette now knows where to cut.
10.jpg

The reason this is such a huge problem is because I will need two sets of files, one to print onto cardstock with, files that include the edge ID, fold lines, etc to run through my printer, and one set without those fold lines and edge IDs to run through Silhouette's software and cut the lines out on that printed piece of paper. If those two don't align, then I won't see where the fold lines and edge IDs are after the fact.

In addition, where the image files aren't importing at the correct size and are having to be manually rescaled, it's going to make scaling the overall armour piece and keeping various parts consistent with each other so they can then be glued together an absolute nightmare.

Any suggestions?

He's using the Silhouette Cameo, the model up from the Portrait I have. The Cameo has official support for Pepakura Viewer and there are files you can download for compatibility, but it specifically says the Portrait isn't supported. I'm looking for a work around at the moment.

Here's my most recent attempt, details the problems I'm coming across.

I go into Pepakura Designer, I scale and rearrange my various pieces.
01.jpg

I set paper type to A4 (because I live in the UK, that's our standard paper size), I increase the line thickness so the Silhouette can read it more easily, and I opt not to print the page number, because the Silhouette would then try to cut that page number out too.
02.jpg

For the same reason, I also turn off the edge IDs and fold lines, again, Silhouette would try to cut these out, and we don't want that.
03.jpg

I then use the following command to export the entire thing as separate image files, ready to import into Silhouette's own software.
04.jpg

This is Pepakura's pre-set size for those image files, following my previous settings.
05.jpg

I then open Silhouette Studio, the software for the Silhouette Portrait itself.
06.jpg

I import the file I exported from Pepakura.
07.jpg

Problem. The image is no longer the same size as the page, despite being exported as A4. It's also not in the same position on the page anymore.
08.jpg

What I know I could then go on to do if the alignment and size were correct, is select the Trace option.
09.jpg

This would then make the cut lines red, which indicates the Silhouette now knows where to cut.
10.jpg

The reason this is such a huge problem is because I will need two sets of files, one to print onto cardstock with, files that include the edge ID, fold lines, etc to run through my printer, and one set without those fold lines and edge IDs to run through Silhouette's software and cut the lines out on that printed piece of paper. If those two don't align, then I won't see where the fold lines and edge IDs are after the fact.

In addition, where the image files aren't importing at the correct size and are having to be manually rescaled, it's going to make scaling the overall armour piece and keeping various parts consistent with each other so they can then be glued together an absolute nightmare.

Any suggestions?

Are you still having trouble? I have a few different suggestions that should fix these issues. Using the "print and cut" feature of the portrait and a bit of editing of the cut lines after you import the files will probably be the best way to do this. Let me know.

Ok so I know this is about the Portrait, but maybe you guys can still help. I have the Cameo Silhouette and I have a problem with it cutting the pieces out. I have the parts sheet with the registration marks and when it cuts the pieces out it cuts half an inch off of the lines... Now I've cut 7 pages out with the same settings, but now its not working right. Any ideas?

I've followed the Tamasoft instructions and also instructions from the RPF for using Pepakura Viewer for Silhouette CAMEO with our Cameo but each and every time I click OK on the "Ready to cut" dialog after successful detection of registration marks nothing happens. It's supposed to start cutting, but it sits idle. The device works fine in Silhouette Studio, so it's not really a device issue. All the Pepakura settings are done precisely as described in YouTube videos and multiple online tutorials - which all contain the same information. The thing just won't start cutting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back