Vacuum Forming for Noobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirRayn0r

So recently I tried vacuum forming my pep/fiberglass/bondo visor buck on my homemade vacuum form. It worked very well, except one big problem: The shell itself collapsed under the vacuum pressure. After posting to the Facebook page of my division (Southern) I realized that backfilling props like that is very important. However, I am now curious about what material to use for backfilling on pep'd pieces to make them strong enough for forming. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

There was someone trying to use concrete to do a thing for his motorcycle. I imagine even plaster might work as long as its behind your pep. I've never tried it though.

It all depends on the strength of your Vacuum and the thickness of your plastic. When I made the first pulls off my pep, fiberglass, bondo pieces for my Mark V, I was using a low powered shop vac table and very thin styrene. I actually did not even need to back fill the pieces that first time. I even had some parts that had been sculpted out of pink insulation foam that I pulled the styrene over directly, and they actually held up and were not crushed. I then used the styrene covered foam to pull parts in a thicker plastic. When I wanted to pull parts in a thicker plastic with a stronger vacuum, then I will need to back fill those pieces.

You can use Plaster of Paris, Ultra Cal, bondo. Like I said, all depends on the strength of your vacuum and the thickness and type of plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back