Video Tutorial: Using Casting Resin For Your Pep Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediStumpy

Using casting resin - liquid plastic - to harden your helmet or armor project:
Hi members. I took this off of Ruze789 so please give him the credit.
Also you can find a tutorial from Achille and Thorso form the 405th E-Zine: 405thSource
Kinda cheesy but shows you everything.
Also you get to see my new project!
Enjoy!

Update: The results

Last edited by a moderator:
niceeeee this will offer sum other options and alot less resin to deal with and that nasty clothe lol

Well done in deed. This tutorial will go a long way. It was very very very informative and opens new options. I loved it and thank you for the shout out, much appreciated. With all that said there is only one thing to work on and that is the music. I did the same thing with the music all the way through until the wifezilla pointed out that I was hard to hear. I now only put it at the intro and ending. Overall job well done. I look forward to seeing some more.

Ithica

Yah i was worried about the music too, but I don't think it was too loud you can't hear anything. The one thing I might want to fix is the words...kinda dark yellow...need to be brighter. I might just fix it, delete his one from youtube and load a "fixed" version. (but that's to much work....geesh! :whistle:
Looks much better in High Quality though...sorry no HD

He should of showed the finish product of how hard it was.

Just wondering, if you took out the paper after it dried, would it look like the peped mark Vi, has anyone ever tried

JediStumpy said:
Yah i was worried about the music too, but I don't think it a to loud you can't hear anything. The one thing I might want to fix is the words...kinda dark yellow...need to be brighter. I might just fix it, delete his one from youtube and load a "fixed" version. (but that's to much work....geesh! :whistle:
Looks much better in High Quality though...sorry no HD

was song was the intro one

Very nice! I like the idea of the bottom "cap" to prevent spillage, but how do you judge when you have the right amount of resin?

Achille said:
Very nice! I like the idea of the bottom "cap" to prevent spillage, but how do you judge when you have the right amount of resin?

I looked through the hole, and held it up to the light,...and guessed. I was looking to see how transparent it was. I think I could of use 2 or 3 more poors but overall the trail size it the right amount. Yes the "cap" worked great. The one problem is you have a hard time judging the right amount like you said. You kinda have to be able to visualize the space and mass...that's the key.

Or just start throwing it at things. If it doesn't break, you're good. :p

I'll have to try the cap when I get around to resining again.

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
He should of showed the finish product of how hard it was.
Just wondering, if you took out the paper after it dried, would it look like the peped mark Vi, has anyone ever tried

I'll post a video on how it came out.
The paper for mine won't come off because of the fb resin. but I guess, if you didn't put a layer of resin on the outside you could soak it in water for awhile and the paper may or may not release.

godsarmor said:
was song was the intro one

the transformers song - look in credits

Also could a mod please move this to the video section - I should of put it there in the first place

I am using the same technique... only with Alumilite Regular. It's black. That way I dont have to worry about anyone seeing the inside of the piece and have them say "You didn't paint the inside". Them, They... they're a**hats!

GOOD TUT!

Nice to see a video tutorial of this but this works great on the busa helm. So are we going to see the finished "demolded" helm any time soon

EDIT: Nice update

Top post has a the results some people were asking for.
here it is too:

Looks like it will need a quick sand, visor and paint. Sounds alot shorter then bondoing then sanding than back again

Hi Jedi,
I just got my "300" today and tried it out. I experimented on a shin piece for my son (it'd be really difficult to glass due to the size). I was wondering how many pours you did to get the right thickness.
Nice tut' by the way.

juggernaut said:
Hi Jedi,
I just got my "300" today and tried it out. I experimented on a shin piece for my son (it'd be really difficult to glass due to the size). I was wondering how many pours you did to get the right thickness.
Nice tut' by the way.

I sorry I missed this:

It really not about the number of pours but how much you pour in each batch. Now if you used the amount I used for a "kid sized" shin I would say you would use at least half of the trail size, maybe a bit more. I really depends on how thick you want it. Hold it up to a light.....can you see through it still? If it is only around 30-25% transparent then I would say you reached about 1/8th to 3/16 thick. A 1/4nch thick you should get minimal light through.
Just use your best judgment. Let me know your results if you could please. I'm curious!

Also: Could a MOD please move this to the Video forum. Thank you bunches!!

I'm sorry too....after awhile I stopped checking this thread. I probably have 1/8" thickness now and should add more. I remember others saying that if you wait too long to pour more that they won't stick together. I'm going to try and rough it up and do another pour. Looks like this will be an experiment in more ways than one!
I got the gallon(s) so it should be plenty for a few projects I have going.

i know this might be a necro, but i think this is a good tut. good work on those vids. its a little hard to hear over the music.

Savvy

SavvyTank said:
i know this might be a necro, but i think this is a good tut. good work on those vids. its a little hard to hear over the music.

Savvy

very good tut indeed, thinking i might use this method for my first ever project.

a question.. if anyone will read this (yeah to the necro posting) instead of eyeballing how much more layers you need, cant you use a brush? for even layers? im sorry, im an noob D:

This tutorial video is what convinced me to make the switch from fiberglass to plastic a couple weeks ago. Overall, I'm finding it to be a lot easier to work with, and the lighter weight is fantastic. Really, I think this should be a sticky since its such a useful tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back