Warhammer 40K Space Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good, chwbcc! Thanks for the shout out. Although, I don't know how much of a 3D modeler I am. I just picked it up for this project. I'm still finding out how to do the simplest of tasks.

Keep up the good work.

O.K. first can of Expandable foam in the nose area, I'll post some photos tomorrow morning it's too dark for my iphone to get any good photos.

This will be a great success or an epic failure!. But I'm not too worried, I'll just build another one while I watch Sunday afternoon football! :)

The idea is to build sort of a Milliner's block as a base for the helm. This will allow me to add pieces and detail without having to rebuild a basic helm every time. I will still bondo and sand to perfection then add in the details around the light and the ears pieces as desired.

Once I have this finished I will try to cast it with silicon and pull some piece from the molds.

I have 8 hours for the first can/Layer to cure... hopefully it doesn't burst out of the paper form!

Step one

Pep check

Step two

Resin

Step three

Spray with cooking spray and fill with expandable foam.

Step four

Pray ... a lot! :)

OK in another thread I asked someone to Pep me some Patience, I should probably ask them to Pep me some common sense too.

I was told this was going to happen by some veterans on the board. But like any good Noob, I can't let my people down, I ignored them and did it anyway. Partly because I believe that I could do it differently and make it work, partly because my ego wanted to make it work! Well, the only way to really see if I was the chosen one, was to pep up some files and buy some $3 expandable foam... The rest is as they 'Clich-say' is history!

The most extraordinary part worked like a charm! I stared by spraying the interior of the resin'd helmet with PAM cooking spray, this was my release agent. It worked perfectly.

Then, I applied the foam as directed filling cavities less than 50% full allowing the foam to expand into the areas as it cured. I started with the nose and allowed it to cure for an hour before applying a second layer to the ears followed by the top and back of the helm.

Over the next few hours I sat like a father in the waiting room of Labor and Delivery! I checked it ever hour or so and things were expanding exactly as I expected.

But as the night drew on I couldn't play anymore ODST and I finally went to bed.

When I a woke the helm looked a bit bloated, as you can see from the photos below. That impatience stared creeping in and I knew that I had to do something. I figured that if I could relieve the pressure in parts of the helm I could possibly save the build or save the pep with minor damage.

Enter Mr. Matte Knife! I tried to segment the pieces into easily removable pieces. The first 5 or so came off with out a hitch, the piece looked a bit worse than I expected, but that only means I was going to need more bondo than I planned to fill the cracks and crevasses. The PAM worked great! The pieces actually separated just as I expected and the foam was smooth and very sturdy.

But of course this is a tragic story, love lost and all that epic failure junk.

When I started to remove pieces closer to the top of the helm the foam had separated and fail to expand. As I pull back the section of resin'd paper all I was left with was a bucket full of gooey space marine brains. I don't know why, but I suspect that the temperature change last night and the fact that I had this part of the helm sitting directly on the concrete, prevented the foam from curing and allowed it to separate back to it's liquid state.

So it was an Epic Try for my Ego, and an Epic Fail I can wear as a ribbon on my Noob status. But there was a lot learned about the whole process and give more time it could work but the messy alternative of Fiber glassing and slush casting are probably the best as far as time and effort for the money.

So, stay tuned and enjoy the pics below, I am off to print a new helm!

Peace,

chwbcc

Roadwarrior said:
I suggest just putting it the nose cone and fiberglass the rest.

Yeah I'm just going to do it the normal way this time. Pep, Resin, Glass, Bondo wear it look cool! I still can used it the same way I intended, I just wanted a less messy alternative to fiber glassing, and I didn't want to try the slushing method just yet.

And thinking about this even more I've conjured up another solution but I think this Failure has put me on the straight and narrow path for the time being so I won't be experimenting on at least the next version of my helm! But I do get bored easily and I my ego recovers pretty quickly so this may change after I finished Peping the files laying on my floor! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ureeka said:
OK I mourn your loss, thought it was going to pay off for you ... sorry it didn't

It was sad! LOL sniffle sniffle, But I will go on! I really wanted it to work, poor ego! Lol

Well at least you learned how not to do it. Anyway, good work on everything, look forward to seeing the new helmet.

Judge said:
Well at least you learned how not to do it. Anyway, good work on everything, look forward to seeing the new helmet.

Actually I learned exactly how to do it... Pep, resin, plaster the outside, then use pourable expandable foam. But Plaster is as messy as Fiber glass so why take the extra step. The Plaster would prevent the piece from bulging but taking it apart is just a hassle.

So, I have the second helm Peped and I am going to take my time on this one. Peping the Helm takes two good evenings and I don't feel like Peping another one any time soon.

I have been thinking about what chapter to go with and I'm not sure anymore, any ideas gang? It has to be a Rogue Trade or 1st Edition legion though, since 2nd Ed. practically killed out the Corvus Armor.

chwbcc said:
I have been thinking about what chapter to go with and I'm not sure anymore, any ideas gang? It has to be a Rogue Trade or 1st Edition legion though, since 2nd Ed. practically killed out the Corvus Armor.

Howling Griffons Badab War colour scheme look particularly cool on the beaky models.

Twinblade said:
Think of it as being able to install a fan in the nose :)

Fans are for whimps! LOL In my day we walked 2 miles down parade route in the scolding Florida summer sun, we didn't have any fans. We sweated our arses off and we LIKE IT! :lol

Leagion of the Damned are one of my Favs too, I really the Salamanders and the Raptors, mostly because they are Philadelphia Green!

check out this link: Space Marine Chapters

Ok waiting for the Fiberglass to dry and then I am going to apply one final layer to the soft spots, the edges and some more around the eyes and beak section for reinforcement.

Happy mistake I ran out of materials so I only had the light, one ear and the tip of the beak glass, I walked down to the local hardware store for more Fiber glass cloth and resin and these section were completely hard! The gave me the ability to hold on to something stable while I glassed the rest of the piece.

Definitely take your time and glass this in stages for the best results. I'm so excited I can't wait to show you all! I have to work tomorrow but later tomorrow night I hope to have some photos up.

Well, I'm a little late, but I can shed light on why the foam didn't cure. Not enough moisture. Great Stuff cures when exposed to humidity. Your probably just layered it on too thick in that one spot, so the outside cured before the inside could soak up enough moisture. If you leave the gooey mess exposed for a couple hours, it should harden just fine (though it won't expand very much).

O.k. here's an update:

Helmet #2 is coming along perfectly!!!

I have placed two layers of fiberglass on the questionable areas. The eyes, the light and the neck hole.

Then I removed the masking tape. I found that the masking tape came off really easy even the pieces that were under a good bit of resin. You can see from the photos that after I removed the tape many of the paper areas were not really saturated with resin. So I decided to resin the outside of the piece to allow the paper to be come completely saturated with the resin.

The last photos show the dry helmet now solid as a brick! And you can see where the tape on the inside of the helm, (under the fiberglass) prevented the resin from completely saturating certain areas. Note to self masking tape repels resin!

I am completely impressed with this build so far and now it's time to sand the rough edge and then start applying some bondo.

If you are wondering why I removed the Tape? I noticed several thing that happened on my daughter's MC costume. The tape didn't allow the bondo to really adhere properly to the paper, and when I started to sand the piece the tape clogged the sand paper and the glue made an ugly mess. So with this helm I took my time and removed the tape, which came off really easily.

So I think the time I saved using the masking tape during the pep process, caught up to me on the removal process but I did achieve a pep that was completely sealed so there was very little if any leakage during the fiber glassing process.

I probably could mold this and let everyone else work out the details! This model is nearly perfect after these few simple steps! Great Job Samuray!

Did I mention I was excited?

IMG_1172_500px.jpg

IMG_1173_500px.jpg

IMG_1179_500px.jpg

IMG_1180_500px.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back