Warning: N00B Pep Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeilheitHDDE08

I have all of my armor pieces pepped now and am about to begin resin-ing but I had two quick questions before I start:

1) Is it a problem that some of the hot glue has seeped out of the folds and hardened? Will the resin cover this or should I try to remove it?

2) Do I go straight to the resin-ing or should I spray all the pieces with a clear coat of spray paint to water proof it? I read that somewhere but havent seen it again.

Having the hot glue on there is fine, it'll get covered by the resin, and you can just sand down the bumps later down the line when you're doing your details. I'd suggest NOT spraying anything on your helmet yet, by leaving it bare, the resin can get into the paper and solidify inside it, adding even more to the strength of the paper, instead of just sitting on top. (I hope my previous sentence was understandable.)

i'm not sure how you got it in this section in the first place, but all questions like this should go in the noob forum. also, pretty much all of this is in the stickies, so there is no need to ask these questions

ok wait if you used hotglue you need to be very carefull when resining, fiberglass resin hardens becasue it gets hot and thats what melts the fibers in the glass, when resining it will get hot and melt the hot glue which will result in warping so be very carefull apply in thin coats and use extra reinforcemnt

I read several times what Box o Crayons wrote, but I never experienced it. I believe it only occur in case of using too much harderner in combination with too much resin, but that´s just my theory :)

Pretty much. I use low-temp hot glue, the kind that melts REALLY easily, and have never had a problem with resin/bondo actually melting it (even when getting quite hot). It could theoretically happen, but under normal mixing and thickness conditions, it's extremely unlikely. If you want to be safe though, use thin coats at first and the recommended amount of hardener. Your first coat of resin will also help hold your piece together once it gets on there, making any melting a non-issue.

I'm glad to see I'm not a weirdo in using low-temp hot glue. And it's good to know that you haven't had any problems with it thus far, Flyerfye. Being new at this, I was starting to get worried as I read down the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back