"We Are ODST" helmet painted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think something vital broke inside of me because of the pure awesomeness that helmet is made off! In other words, good freakin' job!

So I found this stuff the other day:

http://shop.autoi.com/osb/showitem.cfm?Category=179

It's a spray tinting, and it comes in silver. After reviewing some of the photos taken of my costume, I'm not terribly happy with the whole fogging problem. Not from the inside, but rather from the outside. So I ordered a can and I'll be testing it out on a spare visor. If it's crap, then I've spent the money so you don't have to. If it does work, then we have a good solution to silver tinting ODST visors.

Stay tuned, true believers!

Update!

We got our vac table working tonight, and we just made our first two visor pulls. We used some .04" PETG plastic - rather thin, but it formed well and once shaped into the ODST visor, it has pretty decent strength (though, it's not like it's load bearing or anything anyways...). So I popped the first pull into my helmet, and here are the results:

The buck isn't the ideal shape for vacuum-forming. It should be a mound-shape, with supporting sides leading up to the edges of the buck. But this worked well enough for our needs, and because the plastic is thin enough, it can just be trimmed off the buck with a hobby knife.

Hey, Im currently trying to build a vacume form machine, and I was wondering if you had some pictures of your oven. It looks almost like its just some 2x10's, and I was curious if there was anything sheilding the wood from your heating elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back