What kind of paint works best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering what kind of paint will work best for painting my helmet. I was thinking of spray paint, but I've heard the smell is bad, which will really irritate me so that probably won't work. How would acrylic look do you guys think?

From what I've read (And what the veterans use) Krylon spray paint works best. Air it out for a couple of days to deal with the odor. You really get a better and more even effect with the spray paint. Plus it doesn't crack and can flex.

Master Chef said:
From what I've read (And what the veterans use) Krylon spray paint works best. Air it out for a couple of days to deal with the odor. You really get a better and more even effect with the spray paint. Plus it doesn't crack and can flex.

I :love: Krylon. Great color selection, awesome quality, a variety of finishes.

If the smell bugs you at all, put a little Vaseline just under your nose and wear a dust mask :)

-Vex

Last edited by a moderator:
CanadianWarMoose said:
Ok, maybe Ill give spray paint a shot, If I do it soon, it will have tons of time to air out and not smell before Halloween.

Who has the best selection of Krylon out there?

Sadly, my nemesis in parking, Wal-mart, has had a surprising availability of Krylon. :) Also, hardware stores tend to carry it.

I plan to use an airbrush on my model when I'm done. That will give it a really even surface, and will help prevent drips. I'm not sure what type of paint, but I'm going to be getting it as close as I can to Master Chief green :)

Yeah, Krylon PWNs all spray paint imo, it tends to be more expensive ($6 a can here), but you'll get a lot of a better look, feel, and effect with it then using that Dollar General brand, lol.

What kind of Krylon paint should I get then? I have worked with their X-Metal series before but that's it. Would the Arts and Crafts one be the way to go? I should probably mention that my helmet is made out of paper mache, not resin.

i recomend a latex paint as it will make it waterproof

for smell i recomen stuffing some dryer sheets in it as "Air freshners" when its not in use. this works great for me

i understand that it is the best looking paint, but what i mean to ask is what will be best with cardboard? and sorry about the topic highjack.

well latex is not a "wet" paint and when sprayed will adhere better and not soak in as much. will the latex i can garuntee no drips at all unless you hold the spray on one area for a couple mins lol.

Durlaburban said:
well latex is not a "wet" paint and when sprayed will adhere better and not soak in as much. will the latex i can garuntee no drips at all unless you hold the spray on one area for a couple mins lol.
Ok thanks guys, Ill have a look at paints tomorrow and see what I can get. The hard part will be selecting colors, but I like the look of Sean's helmet and that was a gold undercoat with green overtop, so I might try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back