what lbs cardstock do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever fits your budget and will be able to pass through the rollers on your printer...

If your printer can pass pretty heavy cardstock, then I say the thicker the better.

I'm using matting board, which is the stuff used to frame the borders of picturs before putting them in frames. I get 3x5 (foot) sheets at my local Micheals for $7.99 a sheet. Of course, here in PA, there's a 6% tax, but I still manage to get a few sheets every so often. Then I'll print out the Pepekura, and glue or tape it on the mat board and cut it out with my handy-dandy X-acto knife. Matting board is VERY strong and durable. I pelted it with my airsoft rifle and aside from a few dimples, it was fine. Just go to the framing department of any craftstore and ask for a 3x5 sheet of matting board. They'll ask you if you want noramal or acid-free. get the normal, it's cheaper. hope that helps.

BTW you'll need a lot of sheets for MJOLNIR. save up if you want to use it. It's expensive, but worth it.

i have 110 lb, and it works fine.. idk how good it is for fibreglassing tho.. which is what i want to do eventually, anybody no if its strong enough?

I'm using 110 lbs card stock and if you use hot glue like I am, you can make it pretty strong. But I don't know if it will be strong enough to hold up to putting on fiberglass. So thats why I'm going fill inside with spray foam to make it stiff enough for glass. Then after dremel the excess out.

110 holds fine under resin
just make shure you dont use scotch tape to hold it together
it turns it into goop
yes thats from experience

starfox64 said:
110 holds fine under resin
just make shure you dont use scotch tape to hold it together
it turns it into goop
yes thats from experience

noooo, i already have mine held together with scotch tape..

what can i doo

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord!

Just use Super Glue!!!!! :mrgreen:

For mine I used super glue to hold the flaps in place, then strengthened it by putting in a lot of hot glue in the inside. Why use tape???????? super glue drys as quick as it takes to put on a piece on tape and its as strong or stronger than tape.

Thus, resulting in a very strong model that is strong enough to withstand fiberglass, but thats after you have filled the inside with foam.

This is the exact stuff I use, it work PERFECTLY.
23870-1005-3ww-l.jpg

And yes, the brush does come very handy :Steve:

since you already taped it get a bottle of model cement
ca+ dries in two seconds go along the inside and dot glue in the centers and corners of the tabs let it dry and scrape away the tape

make shure you use fiberglass matt not cloth for the first layer

difference matt : fibers in random angles
cloth : fibers woven together

the matt goes well with the sharp angles of pepakura and sticks well to the faces

the cloth is rigid and doesnt want to bend - should be used as a top coat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back