Who has the most REAL helmet and armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEN B023

Jr Member
Yes I am a noob. But I thought this would be a great thread to show us noobs what to strive for if we are so mechanically inclined. Last night I was thinking...if this is a helmet or armor in a "real" Haloverse it would have to be built to protect. Now obviously in the year 2517+ they are going to have advanced technology.

However to me..the helmet for example..would have to have some "weight" to it, be sturdy and functional. Take the side circles on Noble 6's helmet...what are they for? Why don't we create a purpose for them..

I am striving to make the most realistic helmet as a display piece that if i wanted to ..I could wear. That if a friend of mine went to pick it up...he could wear it dirt biking lol!

So who around have you seen that has the best armor, is there pics, and how did he/she do it?

Thanks.

The most realistic armor I have seen on this site was done by either Adam, Ithica, or Scott, if I had to say ODST style I woulkd go with Magnum23 or Sean Bradley as the most realistic ODST armor I have seen. As for Reach armor Brandon McClain and MilkyVengence have done the most realistic armor I have seen.

That if a friend of mine went to pick it up...he could wear it dirt biking lol!

Thanks.

honestly, the ones you make here are normally not meant to be for safety, I mean they ARE normally started with cardstock paper, even though they are hardened

you could probably get a mold of something a little harder, but it still probably wouldn't offer the protecting needed to keep you safe dirtbiking

bluerealm has the most realistic armor from what i'v seen over the past 3 years.
as said before, the helmet made here don't really have the right qualities for safety. usually in say a bike helmet the shell is made out of a strong, durable material that's made to take an impact. fiberglass helmets or urethane plastic helmets aren't really strong enough to hold up against as heavy a hit as delivered by things like paint balls or a hard fall off a bike.
good luck on making it look and feel realistic though.

yeah guys i dont mean to actually use it dirt biking..just to have the realism of being built heavy duty enough like a real helmet.

So far yeah..i think bluerealm's is the most real. Just didn't know if i missed someone elses.

yeah i should have known that since i saw the flashlights on the side of a helmet in some game art. thanks for the reminder. doh

well, the most "Combat Practical" armor would have to go to Thorasoll, I think he makes his out of Aluminum or some kind of metal. he has pictures of him putting stress on the bowl side of a front chest piece, and I was very impressed on the strength of the material he is using. best bet, don't listen to these guys that say, "it can't be done." I say to hell with them, if you want to build an indistructible suit, do it. and be proud. even if you fail, because you were trying something new that not even us Veterans were too scared to even attempt.

well, the most "Combat Practical" armor would have to go to Thorasoll, I think he makes his out of Aluminum or some kind of metal. he has pictures of him putting stress on the bowl side of a front chest piece, and I was very impressed on the strength of the material he is using. best bet, don't listen to these guys that say, "it can't be done." I say to hell with them, if you want to build an indistructible suit, do it. and be proud. even if you fail, because you were trying something new that not even us Veterans were too scared to even attempt.

He does cold casting which, while awesome, is still just resin casting like the rest of us. And you can use regular old smoothcast parts for paintball unsafely (see the old NAS vids with their H2 suits). The 2 main reasons that people usually don't are:1 broken parts are expensive to replace if you don't own the mold and 2 broken shards and chips of Urethane are great for cutting and stabbing you especially when you fall.

Best paintball suit has to go to Petemander for his full Flexifoam stunt suit.

I'd say the toughest suit award has to go to the guy who made the welded steel suit. That's a tough one to top.

EDIT: I'd give Devin (Bluerealm) the prize for most accurate and best-looking

But I'm not ashamed of my frankenbeast either (Half Bluerealm, part mine, part Charlie, Part Tim, Part Joe, Part Drew)

012_12.jpg

If you want to make real impact resistant armor, you can do it using the pepakura method. You will need to substitute the fiberglass and resin with carbon fiber cloth and Stycast 1266. You are probably familiar with what carbon fiber is, but Stycast is an armor grade epoxy that is used in military and motorsports armor. It is a "B" to work with compared to fiberglass resin, but it is strong. The stuff is expensive and using bondo would be counter productive, so all the smoothing will need to be done directly with the epoxy.

I would not recommend attempting this unless you are familiar with the products.

^thanks for the info and advice. I could "possibly" take it on..but i would have to practice. But you see, sure you can make it impact resistant(stronger) however you will lose the detail unless I can CNC the finished CF and then re-apoxy it and gloss it.

I just wanted a thread to show noobs the possibilities and to present the "godfathers".

if one was so inclined (and had the mucho thousands $$ to do so) one could pep armor, harden it, then cast it, then case it and replicate it again in stronger materials, although the pep would need some modifications to allow the thickness and weight and all that in the end, and you'd have to have it in mind from the start.

In the end you could have ABS 1/4inch thick Carbon Reinforced Shatter resistant plating, which would stand up to a couple of bullets before punching through and breaking all together.

The end outcome though is far from "bullet proof" (nothing is bullet proof anymore)

Another method would be to make it, split it into parts, then mold the parts, then make a mold of the mold using High-Temperature resistant materials, and actually pour high grade steel and form REAL armor, being much more durable and such. (or even better, Titanium alloys)

Again these are multiple thousands of dollars, just in supplies, and then to get the steel mill to let you pour steel (or find a way to melt, purify, and bond your own) is not only DANGEROUS to say the least, but "too expensive" to shoot for.

Now if I won the lottery, I could guaurantee I'd be sporting around in fully environmentally sealed high grade bullet proof versions of the armor, but each suit would probably cost about $500,000 to produce, plus many MONTHS of work. (And $500,000 would be if I did it myself and didn't cut corners or hire someone to help or anything like that, the "cheap" way - a more reasonable way and faster production would be on the up side of $1M)

No... I haven't looked into this before... ok that was a lie. Lol.

although I gotta say , the idea of walking anywhere in environmentally sealed (your own atmosphere) fully protected from mild gunshots, stabbing and other such problems, even the ability to discharge electrical bursts (say from a stun gun) and keep walking sure would make walkin the streets at night feel awesome. I'd probably have movies of me being shot in it as well, lol.

The only issue is you would probably be required by law to have the right to own such a powerful piece of "protection". because of the obvious ill-intent of some others that may try to say, rob a store in it.

The other is, to actually be shock absorbent like the "gel layer" in the spartan suits - it'd need to be much thicker/bigger than you, and that's not going to survive re-entry or anything like that. AKA - you get hit by a truck- your going down.

^thanks. looks awesome!!! claw marks and all.

I just broke out laughing when i thought of the scene in Kick-Ass and applied a guy in Halo armor.
"alright baby doll, just a couple more rounds and then we will get ice cream"

@soloknight6: Your the guy with the custom painted Blue Realm helmet! Nice. Oh and even your brother's classic NAS with the Reach Helmet looks great... What the... Covenant Cruiser inbound on his position! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back