WIP cardbord human sized halo 4 BR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdemon35

so I like to make halo weapons out of cardboard and mostly I stick to halo reach weapons but i'm going to give it a shot.

first things first the blue print

IMG_0644.JPG

I hope to have more soon.

What have you downsized it to? Mine should be about 998mm, but from the ruler yours looks about the same. That's the official size, so I'm not sure what "human sized" is.

I had a similar question but didn't want to post last night given how tired i was, running the risk of missing something obvious haha. But looking again, that seems like its just a 6 inch ruler, which would mean this is really downsized. Am I way off the mark? I only took mine down to about 910mm for my average build and found that seems to be the sweet spot; still menacing without dwarfing me.

Oh, ok. Having handled mine now, I'd agree that that's a more manageable size, and perhaps more appropriate for a bullpup.

OTOH, the G36 and M16 are both around 990-1000mm, so it must work somehow. I guess I'll find out when my casts are done.

ok so after a long night I was able to make some progress on the rifle.

IMG_0652.JPG

I made the grip by just sandwiching cardboard together
IMG_0656.JPG

adding walls
IMG_0658.JPG

next I beveled the grip and made the trigger guard.
IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

I hope to have more tomorrow.

so thanks to every one for the feedback and I like M6G Quick221.

now big update, I mostly jut added lots of details.
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG

I want to harden it with fiberglass resin any tips.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 330
Looking good. Looks like you've broken the template down at many of the same points I did, haha.

For resin tips I'd look at ErMaC and Redshirt

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. Looks like you've broken the template down at many of the same points I did, haha.

For resin tips I'd look at ErMaC and Redshirt

Thanks RobTC.

Cyberdemon35,
I harden cardboard with a mixture of well-catalyzed fiberglass resin and about 20% acetone. Resin really won't set until acetone fumes off. The acetone helps the resin penetrate the fibers rather than just sit on top. Don't overcoat it. Excess resin doesn't add any strength and ruins your details. The resin is a lot harder to sand down than Bondo or spot putty so don't let it pool on the surface of the cardboard.

I use Bondo to fill in the edges and surfaces in my cardboard work. If you can afford the featherweight aircraft Bondo, it is a lot easier to sand.

Redshirt

thanks Redshirt and RobTC I still want to put some more detail on it first, but any tips for finding acetone I have never heard of it. edit never mind its just spelled differently then I say it,

Should be able to get square cans of it in Home Depot for about $8. Check the paint section, with the laquer thinner, denatured alcohol, all that stuff. Next to the glues.

You might be able to use nail varnish remover if it's not labelled as acetone-free, but I'd be wary about the 1-2% of non-acetone components inhibiting the resin.

thanks, the only problem is that im only 16 so I got to get my parents to come with me, it can be a pain if you need spray paint.

yeah if I ever get to the filming stage I'm going to see if red won't mine helping me cure everything... which looks like I robbed a unsc armory.

hello so after studying for pert and some other stuff im back to work on the br and I was able to spend Saturday putting poster board on the corrugated raised parts.

And instead of fiberglass or bondo I used water downed pva glue.
IMG_0750.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back