Wip: We Are The Arms Of The Prophets..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Bradley said:
I've never realized just how much the Arbiter's head looks like a squid until now. :D
Haha, you say squid, and I was lookin' at it thinking I need to make a Cthulu cosplay now.
;D

And about your Energy Sword wishes.... let's just say somebody may be working on that as we speak.... :cautious:
(y) !!!
I just got a really stupid grin on my face in the middle of class when the professor was talking about 9/11. Errr..

:'D Thanks for the support everyone~

I'm thinking I'll do molds of my arm plates for simplicity's sake. Making the molds will be annoying, but it'd be a lot simpler than the alternative..
That, and anyone else that's making an Arbiter could use some casts. It's a win-win! Woo!
Debating, though, whether to cast them in something flexible like silicone or not. Flexibility would ensure I could move my arms with ease, though with my current plans, even hard plates would be fine. And silicone would retain its shape, so that's not much an issue. I guess aesthetically, if they would match the fiberglass'd pieces. Hm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that Adam uses some flexible materials in his costume for the lower half of his body, I think its a foam by smooth on

Spawn Camp3r said:
I believe that Adam uses some flexible materials in his costume for the lower half of his body, I think its a foam by smooth on
Oh? Okay, cool. I'll ask him about that if I get a chance. From what I've seen of his suit, it looks quite uniform all over, so if it is a different material used on the lower half, that should work out fine for me.

Was looking at prices, there's some silicon molding kit for $20-ish from TAPS Plastic. That's about all I looked at specifically, so I dunno if that's a good buy or not.
Anyone that's more knowledgeable in the molding/casting business have two cents to add? I'm total newb at this.

And, totally unrelated to anything, I got an integral part of coding to work on my exhibition piece!
I've been celebrating all evening. :D
Just wanted to continue sharing the good news.

Spawn Camp3r said:

ys he did, i believe it is called flexfoamit 25. he talked about it the "when all you need is a hammer" thread. good stuff.

Seeing the progress Wifezilla made on her armour made me want to work on mine some!

So here are some general sketches I'm going to use for reference whenever I get to that point.
Photo5.jpg

The blue webbings on the Arbiter's body, I believe, are the straps that hold his armour in place. Thus, here are drawings on how they look on him, thus what I should plan for when making mine.

Photo6.jpg
Photo7.jpg

Planning out the patterns on the arm plates for when I make them. You can see that they'll all have to be made separately. Gross!
You can also see where I drew the pattern of the "shoe" [persay] on the bottom of the Arbiter's foot. That's just one toe of it, the other toe mirrors it.

Working on Clockwork Orange costumes for subsequent Prom next weekend, so I don't foresee much work getting done on my Arby.

Hope you guys enjoy. And thanks for the info on the Foam Flexit or whatever, I'll look into it. :p

Go Drakku!!!

Us Spartans need our covvy ally in the fight!

Everything you've done looks like very epic win, and wifezilla's stuff is very awesome as well (I lurk alot).

Good luck with everything!

Hey guys. Got bored and thought I'd throw together a VERY ROUGH hand.

But this is the jist of it. I'm going to use wrist braces instead of tape on my arm..
And the fingers'll be attached to a legitimate "palm," not a paint stick.
And will be pointing the right direction..
Etc.

I just wanted to get this done so I could make sure they're moving right. And they are! Woo.

Edit: By the way..
Due to popular demand and hinting, I'm going to attempt digigrade legs. But I'm saving it for the very last thing I do, because my feet work, so I have a back up plan if all goes wrong.
So if anyone has any suggestions, lemme know.
I've seen gryphern's video a million times, by the way, sooo.. none of that. I'm planning S-bended steel. I need help with the foot.

pretty sweet...

dont know why but reminds me of
"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="630" height="350"></embed></object>

DreadMullet said:
dont know why but reminds me of
[creepyvideo]
D: Well now I'm all terrified and weirded out..
Rofl.

I'm really hungry now.. blast!

DreadMullet said:
have you never seen Freddy got Fingered?

my god what is wrong with you?
D; Well, given that I was 11 when it came out, my parents wouldn't let me see it.
And it died down in popularity by the time they didn't care what I watched.

Sooo.. that's what's wrong with me. I've been told to watch it, though. So now after that, I want to. Hah.

Drakku said:
D; Well, given that I was 11 when it came out, my parents wouldn't let me see it.
And it died down in popularity by the time they didn't care what I watched.

Sooo.. that's what's wrong with me. I've been told to watch it, though. So now after that, I want to. Hah.

and i dont get your point... i was 12 when it came out. childhood wasnt childhood unless you broke the rules... My parents tried to protect me, but i think they may have done a bad job.

definitely check it out, really random fun movie...couple gross parts, but very good.

any ways your costume is coming along great, and i cant wait to see it... but my marines are probably going to take you out, saying they ever get finished :D

honestly, the worlds largest pair of high heals :lol: , seriously though the foot pedestals look great cant wait to see more of the build!

I'm wondering. I think that hand is enough for just normal moves, but I don't think it would have enough grip power to hold an Energy sword or any other weapon.

shellshocker said:
I'm wondering. I think that hand is enough for just normal moves, but I don't think it would have enough grip power to hold an Energy sword or any other weapon.
Yeah, I'm kinda nervous about that. I'm hoping that when I attach the fingers properly to the palm-piece, they'll close into a fist that could hold something. If not, I'm going to play around some more with different mediums I could use.
I think they ended up quite well for what they are, haha.

Sorry for the double post, just letting you guys know what's up.

Photo13.jpg

Here's what resulted of my recent excursion out in the world of purchasing. I've bought my first can of resin ( :'D It's.. so beautiful..), 1000 POPSICLE STICKSSS, and a couple boxes of 'Sculpey' oven-bake clay, for the arm plates.

Photo12.jpg

Taking a page from Lovebug's book, I reinforced my helmet in preperation for resin. Does it look pretty straight? I noticed a place I could stick a .. stick, and it seemed to make it even better. I think at the moment, it's so miniscule, it may not be noticeable in the finished product, especially once I bondo to smooth it out.

I probably won't try resin'ing until after this weekend, when I have a chance to talk to Dave and everyone else that's gonna be at the Pep Party and watch. (I learn way better like that.)
Also, the weather is being a bizatch, so I don't want to risk doing anything like that until it's a bit more sunny outside. Dang rain!

I've got a couple final projects due this week, so I won't be able to start on anything interesting, but next up is to start carving out the arm plates and get them ready for molding.

There's 13 of them total (including the one that doesn't mirror the other), does anyone have any suggestions on how I should make the mold? I'd like to make a big block that has all of them made in one go, y'know? But I guess I'll mess around and see how it ends up.
Here are the patterns, by the way.. I plan on printing them out the proper size and tracing over them onto the clay:
ArbiterPlates.png

(Ignore the line down the middle, that's the mirror line I'm using to flip the axis).

There are a few people I'm going to gift a pair of them to, but if anyone else wants to buy 'em, I'll sell 'em for whatever it costs to make up for the materials.

And that's about it! Expect some awesomeness after the weekend, fo'sho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back