WIP_Robocop_Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMer56

Sr Member
Well, it's been a while since I've been here.

I've heard the news about the new Robocop movie coming out this summer, and I'm not impressed with the new design (looks more like a power ranger).

robocop-old-vs-new1.jpg

So, To protest this I'm going to take a whack at building a suit. However, unlike my previous suits, I'm planning on sinking some money into it (I actually have a job now, huzzah!), saving up to buy smooth-on plastics: Specifically Smooth-cast 305 and Mold Max 27-T for their low prices. Abdomen will be made out of black vinyl.

Luckily for me, a fellow on a spanish forum did all the hard work and found an un-unfolded pepakura file, thread here: http://www.imprime-recorta-pega.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2490. Not 100% accurate, but a good start nonetheless.

Time to see if my unfolding skills have departed yet ;)

In addition, I found some wonderful blueprints for our boy in blue. My sight is set for this summer, so don't expect me to be zooming along... I have college and a webcomic to tend to...
blueprint1.jpg
blueprint2.jpg

Currently making the 3d model more true to the blueprints... sooo many vertices o_O

Just stopping in to see how this is doing.:cool

Added details to the chest, making in more true to the blueprints.. Whoever modeled this thing screwed up on the trim for the armhole, as some of it seemed to be non-euclidean.

chestyscreenie.jpg

Worked on the details for the chestpiece via optimization, making them more pep friendly. Ready for unfolding (at 380mm tall) and saving as a .xps file

chestpieceness.jpg

I'm figuring on using foam sheets (same material as "foamies") and using the smooth-on silicone to smooth the seams... it would be less expensive than going full out plastic and molds (still sinking about $100 for the silicone), then adding some mettalic blue pigment to the piece and finishing it with a coat of transparent rustoleum.

Since I heard the new Robocop movie is delayed until 2014, I think making the thing entirely out of smooth-on plastics (and resining card stock) is actually feasible. Huzzah.
In the meantime, I got an action figure of our heroic cyborg, so now I have a nice 3d reference... and someone to hang out with master chief.

1027021420.jpg

Edit: Worked on the chest with the help of mini-Murphy here, and I must say it looks more accurate and easier to build:

chestshow.jpg

Had to make the shoulder pieces from scratch; the original files were horrible.
Have a bit of a head and a placeholder for the abdominal pieces.

progresss.jpg

Need add the "ear" pieces, adjust the jaw size the detail on the back. Planning on releasing what I have so far once I'm done the forearms, abdomen and helmet.

Buying the the action figure has been a boon to my efforts.

Added helmet detail and adjusted a few things on the biceps. Also added some basic color just for kicks. Rendered in Pepakura.

progress2.jpg

The parallax problem on the tricep pieces has already been taken care of. Now to work on my website for my webcomic-sum-graphic novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back