Would anyone suggest the CraftRobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is the only die-cutting machine post with any useful insight, I'm going to risk necroposting to add some relevant info. Hopefully I don't incur too much wrath.

One of the replies mentioned that someone bought a CriCut machine instead of a CraftRobo because the CraftRobo parts are only available online. The reason is that the CraftRobo is a UK product, that is sold in the US under different names.

There are a couple things you should be aware of:

1. Prices are not the same. For instance the CraftRobo1 is $220, but the Wishblade is $400, yet they are the exact same machine built by the same manufacturer.
  2. They don't use the same software. The CraftRobo's come with the real manufacturer's software, called RoboMaster. The real CraftRobo's also come with a FREE plugin for Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW to cut vector graphics. The US versions either don't have these capabilities or they cost extra.
  3. The CraftRobo's blades are proprietary and expensive ($40), and might have to be ordered online. A company called Specialty Graphics sells a metal blade holder replacement for $40, that lets you use $7 industry-standard blades. http://www.specialty-graphics.com/sgs_craft_robo_replacement_blade_holder.html

I personally have the CraftRobo 2 (CC330L-20). It cuts very well, and I've used it for paper modeling, and to make all sorts of other things. (I talked the wife into buying it to make some awesome wedding invitations, which normally cost a couple dollars each. So we saved money, and I got a sweet toy!) It was cheaper and I couldn't pass up the Illustrator plugin.

I've been working with it to try to get it to cut Pepakura things (using the Pepakura Viewer for CraftROBO), but it keeps cutting the fold lines out solid. As soon as I get that figured out (hopefully today or tomorrow), I'll update. It cuts out these tiny paper models (see the links below) with excellent precision. The reason that it can tear up paper at a tight corner is because these machines use a "drag knife". They literally just drag the blade around, and it turns by itself the way the wheels on a shopping cart turn as you push it around.

I've had some issues getting my printer to print the registration marks correctly, for the CraftROBO to follow. The PDF from Ebble's (below) says this is a know problem with HP printers, because they skew/resize drawings. I'm looking into it. Also, if you print on a laser printer, the printing tends to flake off from the cutting and folding (which is a bigger issue for the miniatures than than this work).

Some other useful links that you will want to read if you want to use one:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back