Would this be a good first car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
your first car shouldnt be about looks... or what you like, instead about MPG... try getting a Toyota Yaris or something.. i know, it looks dumb, but gas is only going to get more expencive

Xavier said:
your first car shouldnt be about looks... or what you like, instead about MPG... try getting a Toyota Yaris or something.. i know, it looks dumb, but gas is only going to get more expencive
Its not about looks, its about how much I can afford...

I think I barely have 1000 for a car period anyway...

A toyota Yaris is DEFINATLY going to be expensive and I could not buy one if my life depended on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
GruntOfAction said:
Its not about looks, its about how much I can afford...

I think I barely have 1000 for a car period anyway...

A toyota Yaris is DEFINATLY going to be expensive and I could not buy one if my life depended on it.

there not that expensive... get a 05 one for like 5k

GruntOfAction said:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...&cardist=25

I like Jeeps and its an automatic and its not as expensive as most jeeps i've seen..

Can anybody tell from the pictures if there is any rust or anything I should worry about?

no, i don't think this would be a good first car unless you want some issues to deal with. the car has 160,000 miles on it. at this point the thing will be beginning to have many problems with it. if i were you i wouldn't spend my money on anything over 80,000 miles. get something like an '02-'05 ford taurus. they're really cheep, yet still reliable. or maybe look at an old toyota camry, or corolla. toyota is said to be one of the most reliable car manufacturers.

basically, don't get the jeep unless you want some work on your hands, and are ok with worrying whether or not your card will start in the morning.

feigned-echo said:
no, i don't think this would be a good first car unless you want some issues to deal with. the car has 160,000 miles on it. at this point the thing will be beginning to have many problems with it. if i were you i wouldn't spend my money on anything over 80,000 miles. get something like an '02-'05 ford taurus. they're really cheep, yet still reliable. or maybe look at an old toyota camry, or corolla. toyota is said to be one of the most reliable car manufacturers.

basically, don't get the jeep unless you want some work on your hands, and are ok with worrying whether or not your card will start in the morning.

Anything under 80k miles and made in 2000 and up is gonna be too expensive....ohwell..

Cherokee's are damn near bullet-proof and reliable but anything at 160K miles hits the 160K repair cycle meaning new brakes, probably all new belts, tires, a battery, distributer and plugs, and either the power-steering pump, water pump, alternator, radiator, or transmission will give out.

Hidden costs my friend.

Eh I picked up a 98 Chevy Tracker with 53K miles for 3K a few years back. It's like a little jeep that's simple to work on and gets good mileage (32 hwy mpg). Take a look into them. GEO made the older models and the Suzuki Samurai was pretty close. They also are very reliable. A little Toyota truck is also a good deal and will run practically forever.

I say go for it man! If you can afford the gas the go ahead and get it. After all my car eats gas for breakfast lunch and dinner. Its like 15 mpg.

My aunt has a jeep and its pretty reliable. She has had it for like 8 years now and it runs better than ever.

But if you cannot cough up any money for gas then go for something that has about 40 mpg.

Btw- Scientists are working on some new types of ways to save gas, and possibly make 100 mpg cars. What they are trying to incorporate are stirling heat engines. Whoever wants to know what they are pm me cause I dont wanna clog up this thread.

Well, good luck with a car.

SPARTAN405 said:
I say go for it man! If you can afford the gas the go ahead and get it. After all my car eats gas for breakfast lunch and dinner. Its like 15 mpg.

My aunt has a jeep and its pretty reliable. She has had it for like 8 years now and it runs better than ever.

But if you cannot cough up any money for gas then go for something that has about 40 mpg.
Btw- Scientists are working on some new types of ways to save gas, and possibly make 100 mpg cars. What they are trying to incorporate are stirling heat engines. Whoever wants to know what they are pm me cause I dont wanna clog up this thread.

Well, good luck with a car.

Haha! Good job you dont cmae form the uk. If americas petrol/oil prices as ours the country would grind to a stop. Its like $2 a liter in the uk, So a full tank of gas is gonna set you back about $80 Crazy huh?

First off.

1. this car will die after you get it, it has over 100k miles on it, it's lived it's life and will snap any day now

2. Remember it's an american car, only a few good american cars will live long and for eternity, the majority will have problems when you get this far.

3. Look for a car with 40k and under.

Auto trader is a good site, but I'd also look in the news paper, sometimes older people with nice cars dont know how to use the internet or dont have it, so they list in the paper. You might find something good, other wise auto trader is your best bet, my family found a special edition XB with 5k miles on it for 13k, the car original sold for 18k and we got 5 k knocked off with waiting and waiting and lots of patience.

First -
AoBFrost - Cars that are taken care of can run indefinitely. That means regular maintainence. The problem is that most owners just drive it and park it.

Now, my sis has the 94 version of this jeep. It seems pretty solid and a good vehicle. But, if this is your first car, I would suggest something that's 2WD, not 4x4, because the insurance will eat you up, or your parents that is. Until you're 25, your insurance will break you. Add 4x4 to that mix and it's, well, let's say that with the money you save, you could probably buy a couple sets of Halo armor.

If you can find something with a straight-6 (or even a slant 6), you'll have a really dependable vehicle. Some say you can put a .44 Magnum round through it and it'll still run. In my old GMC pickup, I was running on 4 of the 6 cylinders and couldn't even tell. Leaked oil like mad... but ran like a tank! Gas mileage was decent for a truck...but it looked like hell!

True if taken care of it will last, but you cant go back in time and see how the owner of this car takes care of it, all dealers/owners selling a car will say it has been regularly maintained and runs fine, all you can do is go by their word, but take it for a grain of salt unless you know the dealer/owner of the car personally and have seen how they drive.

Well i personally think it is up to you, if you like it get it. If you don't follow your choice and don't get it. Its not up to us its up to you. Ask them to check the car records too if you buy it, thats a must.

Vader said:
First -
AoBFrost - Cars that are taken care of can run indefinitely. That means regular maintainence. The problem is that most owners just drive it and park it.

Now, my sis has the 94 version of this jeep. It seems pretty solid and a good vehicle. But, if this is your first car, I would suggest something that's 2WD, not 4x4, because the insurance will eat you up, or your parents that is. Until you're 25, your insurance will break you. Add 4x4 to that mix and it's, well, let's say that with the money you save, you could probably buy a couple sets of Halo armor.

If you can find something with a straight-6 (or even a slant 6), you'll have a really dependable vehicle. Some say you can put a .44 Magnum round through it and it'll still run. In my old GMC pickup, I was running on 4 of the 6 cylinders and couldn't even tell. Leaked oil like mad... but ran like a tank! Gas mileage was decent for a truck...but it looked like hell!

Well i've checked our newspaper but the only cars are 3k Towncars...And I am NOT driving a senior citizen mobile.

EDIT: Well it seems the car has been removed...Dang that was fast..Now I have no choice but to look around...or stay stuck with my crappy oldsmobile cutless supreme.

GruntOfAction said:
Well i've checked our newspaper but the only cars are 3k Towncars...And I am NOT driving a senior citizen mobile.

EDIT: Well it seems the car has been removed...Dang that was fast..Now I have no choice but to look around...or stay stuck with my crappy oldsmobile cutless supreme.

Why not buy a bike? Or a scooter? They do more miles to the gallon, theyre cheaper to buy, and you can dirve one at 16 so....

smilie120 said:
Why not buy a bike? Or a scooter? They do more miles to the gallon, theyre cheaper to buy, and you can dirve one at 16 so....
Honestly dude if im turning 17 in a month and i'm gonna have a job the LAST thing I AM going TO DO is RIDE A BIKE ON THE INTERSTATE TO A JOB...Okay???? I'd perfer a vehicle with a roof on it and 4 wheels that drives.

GruntOfAction said:
Honestly dude if im turning 17 in a month and i'm gonna have a job the LAST thing I AM going TO DO is RIDE A BIKE ON THE INTERSTATE TO A JOB...Okay???? I'd perfer a vehicle with a roof on it and 4 wheels that drives.

Riding my bike on the highway scares me. (y) "That idiot doesn't even see me!"
I drive a Honda Civic (05), but it isn't mine. It's the family car so to speak. I have plenty saved up, and am planning on getting an old CJ-5, CJ-7, or a Five quarter ton. With those vehicles, you know that you'll probably never get stuck in the snow or stuck in general! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back