Zolton's first armor build

EpsilonZolton

Hello there I will be cataloging my adventure here as I build up my first cosplay armor.
Going to try and do basically this armor here with a few differences.
For one I'm gonna make a reach commando shoulder pad for my right shoulder and i think im gonna try and do the UA/type FJ knee pads
1705540517782.png

I currently have 2 pieces of the helmet printed and I just started a third however I might reprint one as its got a massive line down the side where a layer peeled off

also need to find some files and am not sure who to ask for them
one is a foam pattern for the Corvan MK VII gloves
1705541586508.png

while I also need a file for the UA/Efrem shoulder pad (left if that matters)
which I could do 3D printed or foam whatever works
1705541692121.png

if anyone has files for either of these and is willing to share them that would be very helpful

Attachments

• 1705541433182.png
    1705541433182.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 27
Welcome to the 405th! Congrats on starting your first build thread!

I really like the armour you’re going to be building (especially the cat ears XD).

Unfortunately I haven’t seen any foam files for those two pieces you mentioned floating around the 405th… that’s part of the reason my suit is entirely default. However, if I were making your suit this is what I would try:

I would try making those pieces (the hand plate and the shoulder) using foam from scratch. Because the shoulder geometry is relatively simple, I think it would be very possible to use only a few foam pieces to create without a template. A foam template for the bicep already exists and can be found in “the armoury”. So you would only need to create the shoulder bit that connects to it.

As for the hand plate, it will take a bit of guess work. I think that with one piece of half inch foam, you could use angled cuts to create the part that goes on the back side of the palm, and do the same but with a smaller bits of foam for each of the fingers.

If you’ve never don’t foam work before, don’t worry! It’s not so bad. You can use floor mats bought from a local hardware store, and a box knife or utility knife with a nice sharp blade. If you’re only doing a few pieces out of foam and printing the rest, you’ll probably be fine using hot glue, although I personally use and recommend barge contact cement foam work.

Best of luck!

Welcome to the 405th! Congrats on starting your first build thread!

I really like the armour you’re going to be building (especially the cat ears XD).

Unfortunately I haven’t seen any foam files for those two pieces you mentioned floating around the 405th… that’s part of the reason my suit is entirely default. However, if I were making your suit this is what I would try:

I would try making those pieces (the hand plate and the shoulder) using foam from scratch. Because the shoulder geometry is relatively simple, I think it would be very possible to use only a few foam pieces to create without a template. A foam template for the bicep already exists and can be found in “the armoury”. So you would only need to create the shoulder bit that connects to it.

As for the hand plate, it will take a bit of guess work. I think that with one piece of half inch foam, you could use angled cuts to create the part that goes on the back side of the palm, and do the same but with a smaller bits of foam for each of the fingers.

If you’ve never don’t foam work before, don’t worry! It’s not so bad. You can use floor mats bought from a local hardware store, and a box knife or utility knife with a nice sharp blade. If you’re only doing a few pieces out of foam and printing the rest, you’ll probably be fine using hot glue, although I personally use and recommend barge contact cement foam work.

Best of luck!
Oh hello N8TEBB fun to see you here as your tutorial is the main one I'm referencing for myself along with a few others.
I know Negativecacti made the gloves I want to but they got the pattern elsewhere I think, so I have to ask them about that later.
Any recommendations about what piece is easiest to start with? I was thinking about doing the boots first.

Me gusta el estilo del casco, ¿le agregarán luz o simplemente un acabado azul? saludos
I'll probably just give it the color for my first attempt but if i do more of this in the future i might try installing some lights on the inside

Probablemente le daré el color en mi primer intento, pero si hago más de esto en el futuro, podría intentar instalar algunas luces en el interior.

Oh hello N8TEBB fun to see you here as your tutorial is the main one I'm referencing for myself along with a few others.
I know Negativecacti made the gloves I want to but they got the pattern elsewhere I think, so I have to ask them about that later.
Any recommendations about what piece is easiest to start with? I was thinking about doing the boots first.
It’s so rewarding when folks mention they’re referencing my tutorials!

There are a few ways to do the order of pieces you make. Some people start from the bottom and work their way up, which helps you see if you need to adjust your scaling. It also means your first pieces (which are usually not as nice as the ones you make later on) are at the bottom of your suit where they are not as prominent. Some people start with the helmet and work their way down. This way, if they are unable to complete their suit, at least they have a sick helmet. Personally, I went all over the place and didn’t adjust any pieces until basically the whole suit was made. In a way, I did them all at once. Actually, not that I recall, I think I sort of went bottom up, but skipped the boots and knees for some reason. Going from the boots up is probably a good method to stick with.

Negativecacti what’d you do for gloves?

N8TEBB I got the files from the Foam God Spidermonkey60 himself. So I wouldn't say I'm at liberty to hand them out without approval however, I'm sure if you were to message him EpsilonZolton he might send them your way. I'm glad to see you made your way to the forums and excited to see your build come to life.
alright i’ll try and message they to see if i can have the files whenever i get around to the gloves thanks for the info.

N8TEBB I got the files from the Foam God Spidermonkey60 himself. So I wouldn't say I'm at liberty to hand them out without approval however, I'm sure if you were to message him EpsilonZolton he might send them your way. I'm glad to see you made your way to the forums and excited to see your build come to life.
Share it! Spread the love

My gloves had stuff on the fingers already
I got some acrylic paint that was close enough to the off white I used and just hand painted them
oh sweet thanks
quick question for you, looking at your build did you just get some hardware glove with rubber bits on the fingers for your version cause that's what i was thinking of doing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back