15 Hours Into It

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

Okay, I am obviously new to this whole armor making thing, but I am a pretty crafty person. I have an excellent art talent and when it comes to "crafty" things, I just seem to have this uncanny ability to pick up on new things pretty quick and do a really good job.

However, that is not the case in this situation.

I have recently finished constuction of my hayabusa helmet, which pictures can be seen in my gallery, and I am starting to have doubts and I think I may be screwed and might have to start all over again! :(

LONG before I ever knew of this site, I stumbled upon this pepakura program while looking into making Halo armor. I evntually came to this site: http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index#hayabusa and that is where I picked up the blueprints for my hayabusa armor. The helmet I chose to do was the one that is by Skupilkinson. At first, I tried to follow the little math formula......your height divided by 86, mulitply that answer by 31.9 but I added 3 inches to my original height as it said to do so. Is there maybe a different blueprint that I can get that works with that formula? My first attempt was obviously small and I tried again. This time I added 10 inches to my height and the completed helmet fits.......

.......there is a slight problem though.......I think.

When I put the helmet on, I have to slightly pull it apart to get it to fit over my head. Now I believe that when I go to resin it, the helmet will not quite be flexible anymore and I have this lurking feeling that the helmet will no longer go over my head! :(

It appears that I may have to redo it and this saddens me as I already spent 15 hours and my hand and fingers became quite sore from the cutting and scoring my lines the way that I do.

Is there a way that I would be able to resin it so that it still fits over the top of my head or should I remake the whole thing?? I think that if I resin it with the sides pulled out the way I need to get it over the top of head will still allow it to fit, but then that will also make the "mask" part pulled out and may look a little funny.

Any suggestions? Should I just try to resin it as is and make it work with the downside of it looking somewhat silly or just make the whole thing over again??? I'm pretty sad about this, but I guess being that I am new to this it's expected. :p

********NEW STUFF********

Okay, I ran into another issue. Okay, well maybe not much of an issue, but I could use some help. I was mentioning about how I used the formula to scale my helmet and added the 3 extra inches and it was STILL too small so I added 10 inches, and now it's just a little too small.

I think I need some help in the proper way to input the correct size to properly scale it. I am 5'4" so that would be 64", add the 3" and that's 67". I used that number divided it by 86 then took that answer and multiplied it by 31.9 and I got 24.8 and that is the number I used the first time and when I started construction on the first attempt it started to come out looking like it belongs on a childs head! That is the formula I used for the helmet by Skupilkinson.

What did I do wrong here?? :unsure

Also, is the final number that I come up with the one I use for ALL pieces of the armor like the torso, biceps, etc., etc.?

Depends, if you are only tugging a little then you can just shave down the sides of the opening. That happens a lot with the Mark VI's but I dunno about hayabusas...

Ya, you can either cut the inside edges or if it really needs it you can cut it along a natural seam after resuming so it has a hinged back.

About how much room does your head have inside the helmet? That's the most important part, since the bottom rim can be trimmed before or after fiberglassing. I couldn't even fit my Mark VI helmet over my ears before I trimmed the rim, and I still think I could've scaled it 1 cm or so smaller.

I'd say go ahead and resin the thing and see what modifications you can do to make it fit. You can always cut the underside opening out a little bit on the sides. When I pepped my busa I scaled it to 37 cm and it came out a tad to big. From the pics in your gallery it looks like the perfect size i'd say. So don't go scrapping it just yet!

If it's just the neck ring that you're having trouble with and the helmet isn't super tight on your head while you're wearing it you should be able to get away with having a removable section on the neck ring to get it on.

Here's some old photos of what I had to do to my Mk V to get it to fit:

2868446201_01c0ea71c3_m.jpg 2869276380_b4a211225e_m.jpg

The first has the neck ring attached with a few rare earth magnets and the second pic is with it removed. It's pretty straight forward to do and works perfectly.

I put my helmet back on again after posting this and I can move the helmet around, but I DID notice that the top of my head touches the top of the inside of the helmet. So if I were to put some padding inside the helmet, it would raise the helmet up almost an inch AND you would see my jaw below the helmet. I don't like the thought of that.

The other thing that bothers me, is if I talk, you can see my jaw extend below the helmet and I don't like that. I don't really think you should be able to see my jaw. It just looks weird! lol

If it's just the neck ring that you're having trouble with and the helmet isn't super tight on your head while you're wearing it you should be able to get away with having a removable section on the neck ring to get it on.

Here's some old photos of what I had to do to my Mk V to get it to fit:

The first has the neck ring attached with a few rare earth magnets and the second pic is with it removed. It's pretty straight forward to do and works perfectly.

I saw that on clone trooper helmets on the clontroopers.net site. It seems to be a great solution for the "head not going the helmet" problem.

Great job on your Hayabusa helmet HaloGoddess! It looks fan-freaking-tastic!

-Pony

If your head touches the top of the helm and you are just able to see out of the visor part... it might be a little small. Granted you can get by with a minimal ammount of padding, even still that's 1/2 - 3/4 inch at least by the time you get the fiberglass and resin in there. Afterall, you are going to want to see out of your helmet while wearing it and you will want to have a little space to mount a couple of cooling fans.

Wear a black underarmor cold gear hood/balaclava and your chin won't be so obvious...

well here is the kicker with helmets: they look perfectly fine as is when you make them by themselves (as in your photos it looks fine) but when you make your armor it may look small with the chest plate. I suggest that you put that on a shelf and make a chest (if you are going to make an entire suit that is) then put them both on. If it still looks good then just wear a black Balaclava under the helmet. if not then pep a new helmet and save that one or put it up in the forums for trade. Either way you did a great job on the helmet and should be very happy.

p.s.

put the pics up in your 1st post so everyone will know

As most had posted trimming the neckline is all you will need to do. You did a great job on sizing the helmet. I look forward to updates.

Ithica

Well, I don't think I am going to scrap this one, but I STILL think that I am going to redo it.

I finally managed to buy some more card stock (110lb) and I am going to start working on some of the other armor pieces.......once I figure out what number to use so I scale it right! XD

The various scaling formula things only work the original file is already scaled to a size that can reasonably be worn by the average person. And then you have the issue that different people use different scales for what they release my recommendation is that you measure you in this case the size of your head add a cm or two to account for padding... take that number and plug it in to the assembled height area.

If you're making a hyabusa then in order to scale it you need to take the spikes into account. Measure how much higher the spikes come than the top of the head and add that and a couple more cm to your head's height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back