3D printed Spartan build

Hi!
On the Kobra 2 Max, I'm liking it overall. I wasn't having any issues really until the clogging happened. It's happened again around yesterday actually but I'd say that I just didn't clean it out thoroughly enough.
The speed and build volume easily make up the value of the printer though in all fairness. One thing to not discount though is the inertia, due to the speed it can get a bit of momentum going so you'd want a solid table under it to support it. I've heard of some people just putting it on the floor for this reason.
It also EATS filament, I've completely stopped using 1kg filament rolls just as I'm printing things all-in-one and due to the fact that it's at such a high speed. I use mostly 3kg rolls now that tend to last much longer but need an external holder (the included filament holder can't support the weight or width of the larger roll)
Does it have the auto stop if the filament runs out, or does it keep going? That might be one of our next investments for armor. The prospect of having large armor pieces done in one go is nice

Does it have the auto stop if the filament runs out, or does it keep going? That might be one of our next investments for armor. The prospect of having large armor pieces done in one go is nice
Yeah it also comes with a filament sensor, it's saved a few of my prints already. It can be a bit annoying to restart as you have to sit next to it and feed filament to it for 2 mins afterward but the time it saves covers that.

Update 21-1-24:

After a little while off I restarted the Kobra 2 and much to my dismay it failed the print 1/2 way through.
Long story short I had to disassemble the extruder down to the last screw to find the issue. Turns out that a piece of the blue tubing that goes around the filament through the heating element was worn down and somehow got partially melted.
With the printer (god willing) back up and running, I can hopefully get back on track to complete this suit by March, going to have to pick up the pace to make up for the lost time!

More updates ASAP ;)

Last edited:
Oh no! I hate when stuff like that happens. Just make as schedule and try to plan out prints to maximize the time

Update 29-1-24:

While getting side tracked on a separate project (Death Korps Helmet, check out that thread too!) I had my printer gunning it to get through some new parts for the suit, mostly replacements for mis-scaled or messy prints. I've once again changed my helmet and am now going with the Halo Reach Recon helmet (Up armour and uplink module as well of course). I'll finish the Air Assault helmet another time. I just wasn't quite happy with how the seams and other parts came out as it was still quite bumpy and unsmooth. The Recon helmet was printed all-in-one so no more seams! I just need to cover it with wood filler and get sanding!
The other piece of armour on the chopping block is the Commando shoulder, I only just noticed that Moe linked a better one in his page for Carter on Thingiverse. That will be printed as soon as I get more filament (2x3kg rolls of PLA on route).
The chest, cod and butt pieces will need to be printed after that as well. I've sliced the chest to be printed all-in-one (scary thought of that failing). I've been avoiding printing another shin piece just as I haven't had good experiences trying to use magnets to secure things, I've rescaled it again and it looks good on the Armoursmith model now though. I'll just have to bite the bullet and print them at some point!

0BF3652B-FB9C-452F-96D5-4C339C9735BD.jpeg

(ignore the messy printing space :lol:)
28755563-86B5-4208-892B-020D5499D697_1_201_a.jpeg

(3 generations of helmets, oldest to the left, newest to the right)
Halo 5 scout, Halo Reach Air Assault, Halo Reach Recon

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

Update 30-1-24:

I've finally locked in a final set of armour and a colour scheme using Vanity.
Vanity_638422465960319599.png

I saw a similar paint style on another person's armour (can't remember your name right now, sorry!) and I like the vibe of it.
Screenshot (10).png

Here's the armour in Armorsmith, most of the parts are printed at this point but need sanding.
I have yet to print a chest, properly get the calves, redo the shoulders and do the cod/butt pieces.
Sooooooooo we're getting there, slowly.

I've just received a further 6kgs of PLA (holy PLA batman!) to hopefully finish out the armour with. Some of my friends will be helping with the mountain of sanding work that lays ahead of me thankfully, I'd be here for MONTHS without their help.

More updates soon!

Update 29-1-24:

While getting side tracked on a separate project (Death Korps Helmet, check out that thread too!) I had my printer gunning it to get through some new parts for the suit, mostly replacements for mis-scaled or messy prints. I've once again changed my helmet and am now going with the Halo Reach Recon helmet (Up armour and uplink module as well of course). I'll finish the Air Assault helmet another time. I just wasn't quite happy with how the seams and other parts came out as it was still quite bumpy and unsmooth. The Recon helmet was printed all-in-one so no more seams! I just need to cover it with wood filler and get sanding!
The other piece of armour on the chopping block is the Commando shoulder, I only just noticed that Moe linked a better one in his page for Carter on Thingiverse. That will be printed as soon as I get more filament (2x3kg rolls of PLA on route).
The chest, cod and butt pieces will need to be printed after that as well. I've sliced the chest to be printed all-in-one (scary thought of that failing). I've been avoiding printing another shin piece just as I haven't had good experiences trying to use magnets to secure things, I've rescaled it again and it looks good on the Armoursmith model now though. I'll just have to bite the bullet and print them at some point!

View attachment 341179
(ignore the messy printing space :lol:)
View attachment 341180
(3 generations of helmets, oldest to the left, newest to the right)
Halo 5 scout, Halo Reach Air Assault, Halo Reach Recon

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!
That Recon print is CLEAN, looks like the Kobra is really working well for you! Awesome work so far.

Update 5-2-24:

Back again with another update for you!

I've finally printed my chest piece and have gotten it mostly cleaned and nearly ready for the body filler phase. It took 115 hours ( I expected it to take 20 more from the slicer's estimations) and it came out pretty clean. I did get quite a few small layer shifts as the print got to around the top of the neck area but that's nothing that enough sanding can't fix. I'm inbetween having it open by parachute clips or by magnets, leaning more towards the clips now just so that things won't stick to the areas and for ease of actually putting them together. I'll have to hacksaw the chest in half soon which is pretty daunting.
23F4EC77-E808-45B0-A8DA-45B9858E3B5A.jpeg

(The new chest next to my old AndrewDFT ODST foam chest)

My Recon helmet is also doing rather well at the moment, I coated the whole thing with body filler to fill in those pesky layer lines. I've mostly sanded it down but I'll still want to go over it again with a dremel to get any small areas before I even think of going for the epoxy coat (going to have to get a LOAD more epoxy to finish this build). I bought a mouse sander as the random orbit sander was just a bit too large for the small areas on certain armour pieces. I've fallen in love with using it as opposed to regular sandpaper, it's so much faster!
D78E2FCC-E597-4435-BE59-699FADFEB746.jpeg

I've also made some progress on my thighs, I've coated and sanded those with the last of my wood filler so they're nearly ready for epoxy as well. I still have yet to get a pouch for the left thigh's mounting point though. That's further down on the to-do list though.
E9B53A7A-395D-4CFE-8C56-2339579003AB.jpeg

I still need to figure out the strapping situation but I have an old Airsoft chest rig that I can hopefully attach everything to, forearms should just be friction fit but everything else will require stapping, which will take a while to figure out. All I need to print now is the shins, cod, butt plate and boot pieces. It's looking like it'll be a bit tight on time but I should make it (hopefully) on time for Dublin Comic Con for the 9-10th of march.

More updates coming soon as now the printer is free to work on other components now.
Any advice is greatly appreciated (especially on strapping!)

Have a good day lads! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back