405th versus 501st

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think...that this thread should be closed...just my opinion though : /

While there are some productive comments, there are also negative comments...and there are 501st members on this board that don't appreciate the insults and such that are being thrown around.

darkesword2020 said:
I honestly think...that this thread should be closed...just my opinion though : /

While there are some productive comments, there are also negative comments...and there are 501st members on this board that don't appreciate the insults and such that are being thrown around.

I agree ppl need to be nice against 501st cus They are real ppl not some bunch of clones that only think of fighting and dying for the republic/empire.

Ironcobra3000 said:
Guys, play nice with everyone.

Sticky it: BE NICE, OR BE BANNED :D (sorry for caps)

Last edited by a moderator:
SpartanForever said:
Wow they own us, they have hundreds of members who join together to practice and do parades and shows. What do we do? Make armor (they do it)
Have a website (they do)
Talk to each other (they do)
Have awesome parades and go to shows and cons in a huge group (we dont but they do)

You get my point, haha. I am still loyal to the 405th though.

EDIT: THEY HAVE FREAKIN TRADING CARDS OF EACH MEMBER HAHAHA!Click Here to See
I used to think about joining them, then I noticed the only way to get stormtrooper/clone armor is to buy a 600-700 dollar kit, then I noticed I didnt have the money back then and I do now, then I found 401st, I think 501st is always the top, but I feel 401st has a warmer homey type enviroment, our suits are all similar, but each is unique, but the troopers, theirs are all the same, I wouldnt mind owning stormtrooper armor someday, but not be a part of the 501st, I'd have my own group of friends or just do things myself.

AoBfrost said:
I used to think about joining them, then I noticed the only way to get stormtrooper/clone armor is to buy a 600-700 dollar kit, then I noticed I didnt have the money back then and I do now, then I found 401st, I think 501st is always the top, but I feel 401st has a warmer homey type enviroment, our suits are all similar, but each is unique, but the troopers, theirs are all the same, I wouldnt mind owning stormtrooper armor someday, but not be a part of the 501st, I'd have my own group of friends or just do things myself.

so true.... but making a jango fett or another characters costume from strwars isnt so hard, just like making a Mc costume, lol Pepakura (i swear you can make anything doing pep)

AoBfrost said:
Ouch dude!

We're the 405th!

WE didn't copy them that much...

But on topic again, we should have a friendly rivalry with them. It's like N'sync and Backstreet boys, they'll always be compared to one another, but who was better is based on opinion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thefreeman @ Oct 29 2007, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>spartan forever most people who are ripping on the 501st dont even have armor and will eventually fade away as the halo 3 launch drifts behind us. and halloween passes. just like i'm assuming the 501st saw huge rises in immature kids with nothing but words and no armor on their forums at the release of every one of the new movies.

<3 for the 501st <3 for the 405th <3 for the rebel legion.</div>
Nope, no armorless noobs on the 501st forums since you must be a member to get into them and you must have movie grade armor or Imp uniforms in production.

the 501st is a lot more professional than this group. We have stringent standards for armour and weaponry. If you dont beleive me, get a 3d file of a stormtrooper print it out and send your submission pictures wearing neatly folded cardboard boxes on your arms and legs, see how far you get. There will never really be any rivalry between the groups because I think you'd find most 501st members probably quite like halo armour too (judging by the amount of other 501st here). The thing is everyone recognises star wars armour, whereas some people might recognise halo armour, so stormies wil always be more popular at a costuming event. Even if they make a halo film, it will be lucky to have one tenth of the cultural impact that star wars had. I like to count myself as a member of both 501st and 405th, but thats cause Im a geek and I like any scifi armour. Comparing the two groups is like comparing a homemade go-kart to Ford.

You can register with your local Garrison of the 501st without having your costume. You don't have to spend a dime to register and read up on what the local 501st is about. There is a bunch of free information about costumes that don't cost $600.00 if you have some sewing skills or craftsmanship.

Also if you register with your local Garrison and get involved with the guys/gals in that Garrison you might find some better deals on things like a set of Storm Trooper armor or whatever costume you are interested in. It does help to go introduce yourself to the local Garrison if that is what you want to be part of.... (stepping down from soapbox).

NZ-TK said:
If you dont beleive me, get a 3d file of a stormtrooper print it out and send your submission pictures wearing neatly folded cardboard boxes on your arms and legs, see how far you get...Comparing the two groups is like comparing a homemade go-kart to Ford.

No need to be harsh. Just because a few forum goers make ignorant comments about the 501st doesn't mean that you have to lower yourself to their level.

The thing is everyone recognises star wars armour, whereas some people might recognise halo armour, so stormies wil always be more popular at a costuming event

I wouldn't underestimate the popularity of Mjolnir considering this.

papamurf812 said:
It's like N'sync and Backstreet boys, they'll always be compared to one another, but who was better is based on opinion.

lol i like the analogy

I love the 501st. It's a shame their age limit is 18, otherwise I would already have attempted to sign up with them. Seriously, our armor takes more pieces, sure, but they go through the trouble of making their own machines, then sculpting, then bending, or using whatever each person uses to make their armor.

I think the reason the 501st have more people is due to both a) The fact that they've had a much longer time to grow. I do believe '97 was their official sha-bam date, which means they've had 10 years. We haven't. :p :cool: Star Wars, imo, is far more renowned than Halo. But that comes with time, and I'm sure eventually (assuming all these rumored movie projects, one that's supposed to be with Peter Jackson and interactive-like, another short film, etc don't screw up majorly), we'll see our numbers increase.

I wish you guys would finalize an age limit though; depending on which one you choose, I have to wait a year.

Oh well, at least I can continue attempting to make a more-than-decent suit using cheaper materials until then. And if it all works out, then I can be the Canadian SPARTAN :p.

At least at this time, we reflect the SPARTANs small numbers and ability to accomplish great things in small numbers. I do, however, like the idea of one day marching with a ton of other fans down some street, in all sorts of different MJOLNIR and permutated MJOLNIR suits. It gives me shivers. :p

M-562 said:
You do realise were talking halo here?

Adam: Fleet Admiral (fleet admiral sir terence hood)
Mods: Admirals
State/country rep: Captains
XO: Commanders
Web liaison: lieutenant (junior grade perhaps?)

Other ranks:
Master Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer
Petty officer 1st class
Petty officer 2nd class
petty officer 3rd class
(1st) sergeant
Corporal
Private first class
Private.
Sorry but I just freak out if I see somthing thats incorrectly done.

Do you remember Halo 3 ranks?

BTW, We'll be 2 Canadian Spartans :)

oh yeah? Well 405th and 501st BOTH suck, POWER TO THE POWER RANGERS!!11!1!one

LOL just kidding, please don't shoot me :p

In all seriosness, ever since playing the battlefront series, I have wanted a good tricked out clone trooper costume, but I have netiher the skill nor time atm, I am barely getting along with my master chief armor.

I checked out the 501st site, they are all pro, people should give them the respect they deserve, we are still a newby forum in comparison, and we have lots to learn, particularly from the 501st. So let's take example, and I really don't see how we can compete, or why we would do so, like someone said before, we are both prop building communities who just build different stuff. Us insulting them is like...like..uh....eating peanut butter with cheese, then with crackers and insulting the crackers. Your still going to shat both out violently in about an hour anyways.....wait....what?

M-562 said:
You do realise were talking halo here?

Adam: Fleet Admiral (fleet admiral sir terence hood)
Mods: Admirals
State/country rep: Captains
XO: Commanders
Web liaison: lieutenant (junior grade perhaps?)

Other ranks:
Chief Petty Officer
Petty officer 1st class
Petty officer 2nd class
petty officer 3rd class
(1st) sergeant
Corporal
Private first class
Private.
Sorry but I just freak out if I see somthing thats incorrectly done.
Ranking used depends on which game/part of the UNSC you go by. If you go by the UNSC Navy according to the Halo wiki the following ranks make it up:
Fleet Admiral
Vice Admiral
Admiral
Rear Admiral (Upper Half)
Rear Admiral (Lower Half)
Captain
Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Ensign

Chief Petty Officer
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Third Class
Crewman
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Recruit

Personally I believe that the head of the 405th should just be an Admiral rather than a Fleet Admiral. After all even the head of the Office of Naval Intelligence in Halo is just a Vice Admiral :)
However, that is going a bit off topic ;)

You guys keep forgetting the sargeant, major, and colonel ranks.

Back to topic though. Being a member of both the 501st and the 405th, I'd have to say that, no offense, but the 501st just blows the 405th out of the water. First off, the sheer size of the 501st. Nobody has seemed to notice that it has numerous sub-groups some of which out-number the 405th by themselves. The variety of Star Wars armor suits is too many to count where as Halo only has nine (counting all different versions) Second, their armor is much more accurate, stream-lined, comfortable, and tougher (depending on what kind of armor you're comparing). Sure the armor kits usually sell for $500-$800, but they are worth the materials and labor. They won't even accept you into the 501st unless you have a complete, movie-accurate, professional set of armor. I've seen a lot of the projects at work here and they are less than accurate to sale the least. Then the popularity of Star Wars vastly out-numbers Halo, but that's a given. And finally, there's the organization. The 501st of course has been to many conventions and holidays. They have been in marches, conducted charities, ushered conventions, and even have their own weekend at Disney's MGM Studios. There are individual platoons, squads, and detatchments all around the world for fellow 501st members to gather and have fun, help with their projects, and represent the 501st at small-town conventions and are more than happy to help beginners get started on their own projects. The only way I see the 405th beating the 501st is that A) armor can be a hell of a lot cheaper (pep armor), and :cool: the requirements to be a part of the unit are far less strict.

Now again, I meant no offense and tried to say things in the nicest, most objective way possible. This is just how I see it and you should take it for what it is. And for all those who find it appropriate to insult the 501st and it's members, $10 bucks says you had a bad experience with the 501st, and thus like to take it out by doing so here.

Whew! Fingers hurt. :D

Heh, actually Crook, the 501st did reject my costume... But that's beside the point. I just think Halo needs some time to grow, it won't grow as big as the 501st, but it'll be the second biggest costuming group.

papamurf812 said:
Heh, actually Crook, the 501st did reject my costume... But that's beside the point. I just think Halo needs some time to grow, it won't grow as big as the 501st, but it'll be the second biggest costuming group.

That was actually my point. The 501st doesn't accept anything less than the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back