Alternate ideas for armor creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinexGames

Hello all, I've been highly interested in building my own Halo armor, and have only recently found this gold mine of help. I have read lots of tutorials, and have seen sone people say, "Is this the only way to do it? Can I do it cheeper/easier?" My answer is absolutely. My idea hasn't been tested but will be tested soon. The idea is that Non-Toxic Rubber Cement works similar enough to resin to be used the same way. Assuming this works, detailing could be done in many, many ways. There's the regular Bondo, or you could use Plaster of Paris mixed with Elmer's white glue as a catalyst, the list goes on. What I'm trying to say is I'm not ready to work with chemicals so if this idea works, im set. I will build Halo armor. If it doesnt, no biggy, I'll find a way. ^-^

Welcome to the forums mate and yeah why not . go on ahead and try. Never try , ya never know right? It's all a big learning process. Most impt thing to remember is to be smart and be safe.

All you need is gloves, old clothes, and a good respirator, and you're perfectly fine. Is it a little dangerous? Absolutely. But with a good respirator and gloves, you're perfectly safe. You will need a respirator that filters organic fumes, NOT a dust filter. Something like this. Take your pick of gloves: Latex, vinyl, rubber, whatever. You just don't want to breath any of the fumes or get any on your skin.

To add to what Hickeydog said, remember to wear eye protection! There is nothing worse then getting a drop of resin in your eye.

...The only thing worse would be drinking both parts A and B of a Smooth-On product... That wouldn't be a great idea.

Take your pick of gloves: Latex, vinyl, rubber, whatever. You just don't want to breath any of the fumes or get any on your skin.

Something else to add here: Material DOES matter and even more so does thickness. What is appropriate depends on what kind of resin you use and how you use it.

Or you can always use the EVA foam method. You gotta create your templates from the existing pepakura models, cut, trace onto the foam and cut it out! You will need lots of hot glue to glue all the pieces together though. This can all be done indoors, no need for ventilation or any of that safety gear stuff either! :D

So far the ONLY materials I have needed are:

EVA foam
Heavy duty scissors
Exacto knife
Cardstock (to print the templates on. durrr.) lol
LOTS of hot glue
Craft foam (the thin stuff used for craft projects. helps with detail)
Pen (to trace the lines, obviously)
Paint (colors of your choice)

Since I already had a lot of this stuff laying around and because this is NOT my first attempt at making armor AND because a special someone from the 405th bought the foam for me, I have only spent about $4 and that was for all my hot glue from the dollar store! haha

Thanks for all the info, my idea of Rubber Cement + Plaster & glue will be tested this month. The main reason I don't wanna use resin an all that is because I'm only 14 and let's just say I'm not rich. I don't have a lot (if any) room to build the armor, so a friend and I are building at his house. I love the EVA foam idea- I might try that later.

Problem with plaster is that is cracks easily because is doesn't flex that well. Maybe glue will change the flexibly a bit. Worth a shot, i say go for it.

That was exactly my thought, I'm not sure how it will work out but I've got the stuff and spring break just started... >.> I threw together a semi-detailed 3d model of an MA5C to test my ideas on. Usually I do my own weapon models but use community models for armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back