Aquaresin Or Papermesh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummi60

Jr Member
Iwanted to ask that is paper mesh good for making the helmet stronger, becouse i have a reeeaaalllyyy limited budget, i only have 50 bucks but the resins in estonia are 50 bucks themselves and i also need money for paint what are like 10-20 bucks per 1 paint bottel, i would use car filler to make it even more sturdy.

i also wanted to add taht any kind of resin is hard to find in estonia, and i dont ant to travel thru the whole country to get a bottel of resin, and i wanted to ask that maybe i could use some wheath paste, i would lay down like 10-20 layers of it onto the helmet and forearms?

Well it WILL make it stronger, but not as strong as Aquaresin or normal resin will. I've seen people make some really nice things out of paper mesh (I'm assuming you mean paper mache?) but the thing is that it probably won't last very long if you plan to wear it. You could make a nice helmet on a cheap budget, but investing in the resins that are a little more expensive will increase the amount of time your helmet will stay in one piece and in the end, it won't feel like you wasted all that time to make a helmet that lasted maybe like one or two days of wearing. Maybe save up and buy the expensive resin? :) It'll be worth it, it is super hard after it dries.

It might be best to take longer and do things right. Start with the resin and fiberglass matte, then save some money for the rest later. It's best to plan longer than to rush on a limited budget. This is a moderately expensive hobby, and doing it right may take longer but in the end you will have a piece that you can be really proud of.

Resin here in Florida is $15 and fiberglass Matte is $7 and spare brushes are less than a $1. For $26 I was able to resin and fiber glass my whole Space Marine Helm.

My next paycheck (next friday) I am setting aside $25 for Auto body filler (bondo) and $5 for sand paper. I've been waiting for my paycheck but in the end this is going to look awesome! Two weeks after that I will begin saving for some Smooth On Silicone to start the molding process, and two weeks later I plan on having enough for Plaster to build the molds to hold my silicone mold.

See it's a process but in about two months I should actually have several pulled castings of the Helm I am working on... Ofcourse this will change as money and time permit.

I hope this helps.

You could next time use Cardboard.

just glue the piece of ( 20Lb ) paper to the cardboard.

cut and piece together as if was just paper.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back