Smooth cast 300 with vallejo primer gets soft

zorro

Hi everyone,

my english is not the best but I hope you understand me. I'm still very new in the modeling and painting and try out a lot. Currently I'm using Smoothcast300 and that has worked quite well so far. Now I try to paint my parts with Aribrush and Vallejo acrylic paints. For priming I use Vallejo Primers Grey 74.601 and as compressor I use Airbrush Compressor Set Compressed Air Spray Gun Includes 1x Piston Compressor & 11 Pcs Airbrush Spray Guns Set (with Storage Case

My problem is that after priming, the part becomes soft or sticky in some areas, and I don't know what is causing it.

I don't think it's due to drying time because it stays that way even after several days.

I suspect it is either the component or in some areas, the primer or the compressor because it sometimes blows out a lot of water.

Have any of you experienced this before and do you have a solution for me?

Thank you in advance.

zorro is it possible that there's any of your release agent from casting still on the part causing a reaction with the paint? As long as the Smoothcast 300 is fully cured it shouldn't be reacting negatively with an acrylic primer.

Hi TurboCharizard
thanks for your answer.

I have also thought that I may have taken a wrong mixing ratio but that this then only occurs in some places makes no sense to me. Because I let the component dry for days and also cleaned a second component with soap, it makes it even more confusing for me.
It is hard for me to understand why it is only in some places.
additional info
I have two parts. I trim them to fit together and use Smoothcast as a "glue". can this be a reason and if so how do you glue two parts together?

There are a few more things I could do.
Skip the primer (easiest way, but I don't know if it makes a difference if I use Vallejo primer or Vallejo acrylic paint as a first layer).
Spray the part with finisher first and then paint it (the order doesn't make sense but maybe I'll get a neutral layer)
or simply pour epoxy resin over the whole thing and get a hard outer shell (but I would really not want to do that).

maybe the gluing is the problem at least if you want to paint it then. How can I, for example, a skull that I have split into two parts put back together. Can't I apply Smoothcast to the edges, glue them together and sand the edge? :unsure:

Short update from me. Drying the wet areas with a hairdryer only makes things worse. :cry:
I'm now trying to seal the whole thing with epoxy resin and then possibly sand it again to achieve a matte surface. Additionally, I will create a new silicone mold and cast the part as a single piece :confused:

IMG_20230720_073330.jpg

thats how it looks like. I don't now what I'm doing wrong. The problem is you only see it after painting and if there is something like that you can start again.
I read something that I'm not the only one with problems with smooth cast 300 and 320 should be better or the primer is the mistake and I should use one which is normally used for cars

Last edited:
When I make skulls, I use a Rustoleum matte (Chalked series) tan primer, then cover it in a layer of Rustoleum Chalked varnish to protect the primer. I then weather it with a water based oil paint, and after leaving that to dry for a day, give it another good layer of Chalked varnish.

The only time I've had a problem with the paints was when the primer turned a slightly bright green yellow colour after varnishing; this turned out to be the filament (Bambu Green PLA) that caused the problem, even after a layer of (cheap) resin. Using my normal filament (eSun grey PLA+) I have no issues.

Are you able to get your hands on other primers, such as Rustoleum?

Thank you PlanetAlexander for your input!
Unfortunately I have not found any Rustoleum on Amazon. because I use a polyurethane casting resin, I also do not know if that is the best primer. Because I have just started airbrushing, I took what had good reviews on amazon and found the Vallejo. But I think it is used more for miniature models and not for my application. If I do not find other info, I'll just test if there is a primer that fits better

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back