Cast Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM Metalworks

I've been lurking around this site for a while and thought it was time to post something of my own. I am trying something different though, so I'll just start with some pics.

[attachment=13490:melting.jpg]

[attachment=13491:prep.jpg]

[attachment=13492:pour.jpg]

[attachment=13493:cleaning.jpg]

[attachment=13494:fit.jpg]

[attachment=13495:cut.jpg]

So, long story short, we decided to try to cast a suit of aluminum halo armor. We are melting down cans in our backyard foundry to cast the pieces. We are new to both casting and armor making, so we will gladly take any advice. Also if there is interest, we can post the process in greater detail if anyone else wants to try casting. I look forward to what you guys have to say about this.

Niiceeeee. Just out of curiosity, have you put it up to any damage tests? nothing serious, but is it more durable then fiberglass resin and all that?

I need more info for sure! This..is...so hot!! Literally :pbwuahahah. I have always wanted to do my own foundary work. Will you be sanding the finished cast? Or how are you going to be finishing this off??

-A very interested Loki

Last edited by a moderator:
how are you making your "molds"for these?? Are you casting them in wax first then pouring in the hot metal so that it melts the wax and takes it's place??

BenStreeper said:
how are you making your "molds"for these?? Are you casting them in wax first then pouring in the hot metal so that it melts the wax and takes it's place??

If i am looking at it right..its a 2 part wet sand mold. You take your master and form the wet sand around it to create a hollow mold shell with vents. Then you pour the molten metal. Its similar to making a latex mold except you are using wet sand instead.

-Loki

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this looks very cool. I am definitely interested in the process. And like one of the other guys asked, how strong/durable is it? Can't wait to see more.

Wow, I didn't expect this kind of response.

Okay, so I guess first I should say that aluminum melt at about 1200 degrees F, so it is dangerous. If you want to try any of this, be careful and wear safety equipment.

Akademee,

I don't know how quickly we will be making more. I need to make the molds, and to be honest, I really want to cast a Magnum and an SMG. Once I make the molds of those I can make more easily.

Ghost147

I was curious too, and painted a piece to see what it looked like and shot it with a 12 gauge in #7 birdshot and a .22 pistol. It stopped it, but I don't condone this. I would never use this as real armor. But yes, much much more durable than fiberglass.

Trickster Loki

After the pic was taken I ground off the gate and the spill then wire brushed it. I'll get pics up tonight.

BenStreeper

We are doing greensand molds right now. Really nothing difficult, I just pepped a piece and fiber glassed it to use as a mold. I don't have any other pieces made, but I guess if there is interest we would be more than willing to do some trade if people have molds we can use to cast. That would really speed up the process.

i remember watching blue realms metal suit on G4TV but now with the halo tech we have this will be the best thing ever made . awesome pure awesome :D

Id be more interested in casting my finished pieces...if..you do this with a helmet somehow..you..will...be..god

-Loki

One thing I wanted to mention is that I am concerned about the finished weight. Right now I think that it will end up being somewhere between 20 and 40 lbs.

sirfroget

I don't know what blue realms is, but thank you. I hope we live up to your expectations.

Queen

I guess we could sell stuff. I hadn't really thought about it. If we did we could probably do it for rather cheap. Aluminum is cheap and so is propane. Does anyone sell resin cast stuff? How much does that go for?

Trickster Loki

I agree. When we figure out how to do the helmet, it will be amazing. The problem of the helmet has been keeping me up at night. I was thinking if I could get access to a cnc machine I could do some lost foam casting. Otherwise I'll have to cast it in pieces.

Later tonight I'll post some more pics about casting. We can do another hand platecast for you guys to get more in depth. Otherwise if you want to read more about casting right now I really like www.foundry101.com. It's a site about backyard metal casting that will tell you most of the things you need to know to get started.

Not sure if you're doing it or not, but a great way to get rid of "floaters," for lack of a better term, in your aluminum is to use a long white wax candle and just melt a bit into it, it'll catch the annoying little buggers and you simply need to skim it off the top when you're done because of the density difference.

Looks great though

I'm curious to see some mold making progress too as wet sand molds have always confounded me a bit

I think if you just casted things like handplates and other small things, the weight shouldn't be too noticeable. Maybe the cod, EVA helm (minus the visor), and boots would be okay?

Dusty

Not sure what happened with my connection there, but you bring up a good point. If you do this a respirator should be used. Aluminum fumes are not very good for you. I got the crucible from http://www.lmine.com...de=bud_graphite it is the #2. I don't know what your third question was though.

Wtfmfkr

I haven't had a problem with dross. We melt in two stages though. First we melt the cans to pour ingots, then we melt the ingots to pour the piece.

Queen

But why stop with just the small pieces? I think I can keep the weight down ok. when I get home I'll weigh the handplate and the resined mold so we can get a comparison.

That is pretty fantastic! I can't wait to see how much y'all do! As far weight concerns, personally, I don't mind if the armor is a little on the hefty side. I'm a big guy, and I like the reminder that I am wearing something solid, as long as it doesn't interfere with mobility. I would love to see y'all do a vid, not necessarily a tutorial, but just kind of a walk through on how y'all are approaching this. Looks phenomenal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back