CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... just wow. You are really stunning me. I literally got goosebumps while watching that video(in a good way) :)... Totally awe inspiring man. Keep up the good work!

Does anyone see a spare lower jaw around their feet? I didn't quite catch it when it fell, and now I can't find it! That is amazing Cereal! I like that the damage stands out against the rest of the helmet a little bit, but doesn't scream for the viewer's attention. It almost looks like you actually blacklined the panels, but that's just an effect of the blackwash, right? Sorry if you say so in your video, I can't get it to play at the moment...

The finished product turned out just awe-inspiring. I like how the edges are not simulated as exposed metal, but as just wearing through the top layer of paint to another layer below. The battle damage looks great as well. Once again, well done.

-Matt

Thanks Matt!
I did not want to "overpower" the helmet with too much metal. Sometimes less is more! And with less it means they can be bigger overall. I did not actually sand through to a lower layer and expose a sub color, but instead I hand painted all of the warn edge detail.

So... Why is this not in the Elite section yet? Srsly. Great job, Cereal!

I agree it is odd that it's not been moved now as it is more than worthy. It could be that the moderators are asleep still or at their RL jobs.

Top work, good sir!

You got my vote for Elite. Too bad I'm a lowly noob here and my vote wouldn't count for anything. hehe

Thank you for your praise guys! :$

Wow... just wow. You are really stunning me. I literally got goosebumps while watching that video(in a good way) :)... Totally awe inspiring man. Keep up the good work!

I'm glad you liked the video. I was just trying to put across how it made me feel to have finished it... Just wanted another look at the road traveled... so to speak.

Does anyone see a spare lower jaw around their feet? I didn't quite catch it when it fell, and now I can't find it! That is amazing Cereal! I like that the damage stands out against the rest of the helmet a little bit, but doesn't scream for the viewer's attention. It almost looks like you actually blacklined the panels, but that's just an effect of the blackwash, right? Sorry if you say so in your video, I can't get it to play at the moment...

Thanks Kyre!
Well, it's a bit of both actually with regards to the black (or dark grey rather).
When I was designing the overall look of the helmet, I actually carved recesses into all the panels. Providing an actual pocket for paint to enter and shadows to cast, I felt; just gave that much more realism.

I really do hope you cast this thing lol

We'll see. Haven't decided as of yet if I will cast more than 1 or 2 for personal use. After all, it is my first ever piece.
But.... we'll see. Maybe is enough people show interest, I just might. ;)

I just wanted to thank everyone again for such positive feedback! I have not felt this accomplished in quite some time. It amazes me still, that some lucky people get to do this sort of thing as a job/career. If this was my actual career; I could honestly say that "I've never worked a day in my life!" because such a thing has yet to feel like work for me.

It's an odd feeling that I feel right now, maybe it is one that many of you can relate to:
Every time I walk by my helmet I'm compelled to stop and stare for a moment... I'm still quite awe struck that "I" made that... that there is not another like it in existence anywhere on the planet, and I could not have asked for more. In my eyes, it's exactly what I set out to do.

But... at the same time, I'm kinda sad in a way. I almost feel somewhat deflated that it's done and that I will not get to work on it again. The only thing that I can relate it to is having gone on a wonderful and exciting trip that has now come to an end...

I don't know, maybe this will make sense to some but not to others. Either way, there is still much to build and I am eager to start up again!

Thank you all!
Dave/Cereal

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully understand that feeling Dave. I remember that feeling every time I walked passed my iron man helmet, the rush of accomplishment. Then I too thought that the helmet was done, the buzz would only happen again when I had the whole suit finished. Then there was my MK VI helmet, the rush was back :). The best part is that rush has happened on more than one occassion with my mastchief suit. I get to do it today when I go and buy all the batteries to light it up.

Don't despair I am sure that that sense of achievement will arise when your stood in awe of the work you have done when your torso is finished :)

Its so pretty!! Great job Cereal :-D

I get that feeling with my helmet (not as good as yours) and my magnum i made. It is a great feeling to know that you made something that you can be proud of :)

I fully understand that feeling Dave. I remember that feeling every time I walked passed my iron man helmet, the rush of accomplishment. Then I too thought that the helmet was done, the buzz would only happen again when I had the whole suit finished. Then there was my MK VI helmet, the rush was back :). The best part is that rush has happened on more than one occassion with my mastchief suit. I get to do it today when I go and buy all the batteries to light it up.

Don't despair I am sure that that sense of achievement will arise when your stood in awe of the work you have done when your torso is finished :)

Its so pretty!! Great job Cereal :-D

I get that feeling with my helmet (not as good as yours) and my magnum i made. It is a great feeling to know that you made something that you can be proud of :)

Good, I'm glad that others know what I mean!
I feel a little less crazy now! ;)

I did not actually sand through to a lower layer and expose a sub color, but instead I hand painted all of the warn edge detail.

I figured that's what you had probably done. I was just speaking of the visual effect that you were able to accomplish. As you said, you didn't overpower the overall look of the helmet with excessive battle damage. Everything is very well balanced.

It's an odd feeling that I feel right now, maybe it is one that many of you can relate to:
Every time I walk by my helmet I'm compelled to stop and stare for a moment... I'm still quite awe struck that "I" made that... that there is not another like it in existence anywhere on the planet, and I could not have asked for more. In my eyes, it's exactly what I set out to do.

But... at the same time, I'm kinda sad in a way. I almost feel somewhat deflated that it's done and that I will not get to work on it again. The only thing that I can relate it to is having gone on a wonderful and exciting trip that has now come to an end...

I don't know, maybe this will make sense to some but not to others. Either way, there is still much to build and I am eager to start up again!

Thank you all!
Dave/Cereal[/B]

Dave. Your descriptions of "awe struck", "exciting", "having to stop and stare", "I made that", "Odd feeling" ... are the exact feelings that I felt when I completed and donned my suit for the debut and release of Halo Reach. There simply is no single word to describe those feelings. Other words that I would add would be: Fantastic, Awesome, Unbelievable, Jaw dropping, Eye popping, WOW, Wonderful, Fabulous, Amazing, Inspirational, Motivational, Masterful, Professional and the list goes on.

However, there is one word that needs to be stated on its own. Its a word that took me several months to realize that I felt it and understood it. "PRIDEFUL" If anything I hope that this is what you are feeling, because you really do deserve to feel it. I can really see the pride in your work. Its there and well deserved.

Dave... Thank you for your hard work and time in crafting this master piece and for sharing it with the 405th community. I hope to see more builds from you.

Congrats on a fantastic piece.

BTW: I have requested to have this moved to the Elite Showcase. Very well deserved!

Kevin Hickman

This is one thread that I feel terrible that I didn't catch earlier, to be able to watch it progress as it happened!
Although the plus side of being so LTTP was that I got to cruise through all 13 pages at once just now.

What an amazing helmet! Seems rare now to see so much love shown to the classic Mark VI helmet. Sure we see lots of great builds with detailing and smoothness achieved, but not the amount of reshaping and careful matching of lines, grooves, and subtle curves that this one has.

And the fact that you shared so much of the process in such explicit detail brings it one step further. Reading through this thread made me want to get up from my desk, go home and start working on something- anything - immediately!

Very inspiring stuff. Very excited to see what you build in the future.
Moving this into the Elite Showcase.

Gratz Dave, tis 'bought time :p
You are more than worthy of this move your work is outstanding!

Way to go Dave! I knew it was just a matter of time. Such awesomeness cannot go unrecognized for very long!

This is one thread that I feel terrible that I didn't catch earlier, to be able to watch it progress as it happened!
Although the plus side of being so LTTP was that I got to cruise through all 13 pages at once just now.

What an amazing helmet! Seems rare now to see so much love shown to the classic Mark VI helmet. Sure we see lots of great builds with detailing and smoothness achieved, but not the amount of reshaping and careful matching of lines, grooves, and subtle curves that this one has.

And the fact that you shared so much of the process in such explicit detail brings it one step further. Reading through this thread made me want to get up from my desk, go home and start working on something- anything - immediately!

Grats Dave!!!!!! you truly deserved every bit of this :D

I figured that's what you had probably done. I was just speaking of the visual effect that you were able to accomplish. As you said, you didn't overpower the overall look of the helmet with excessive battle damage. Everything is very well balanced.

That's what I was trying very hard to achieve, balance! :)
It's one of those things where it's soooo easy to over do it. Too much in one area, too little, two sides looking too much alike, or just too much all together! Every spot that I carefully painted P.J. on was thought out and planned. For every mark that I put on the helmet, it was a mandatory requirement to know what caused it or how it got there. It drives me crazy when I see markings that don't make any logical sense.

But this could easily be me being waaay over critical :p

Dave. Your descriptions of "awe struck", "exciting", "having to stop and stare", "I made that", "Odd feeling" ... are the exact feelings that I felt when I completed and donned my suit for the debut and release of Halo Reach. There simply is no single word to describe those feelings. Other words that I would add would be: Fantastic, Awesome, Unbelievable, Jaw dropping, Eye popping, WOW, Wonderful, Fabulous, Amazing, Inspirational, Motivational, Masterful, Professional and the list goes on.

However, there is one word that needs to be stated on its own. Its a word that took me several months to realize that I felt it and understood it. "PRIDEFUL" If anything I hope that this is what you are feeling, because you really do deserve to feel it. I can really see the pride in your work. Its there and well deserved.

Dave... Thank you for your hard work and time in crafting this master piece and for sharing it with the 405th community. I hope to see more builds from you.

Congrats on a fantastic piece.

BTW: I have requested to have this moved to the Elite Showcase. Very well deserved!

Kevin Hickman

Thank you Kevin!
Prideful… I like that word. That about sums it up! I don’t imagine that I feel it to the extent that you have. I don’t think it would be possible until the day where I am able to fully suite up and “walk a mile in the shoes” so to speak. I am anxious for that day to come, but I will humbly wait for my turn.

As far as my “hard work” goes;
“Hard work” would be the last thing that I would call what I have done. At no point has this ever felt like work, it was always a pleasure and approached with a smile! To date, I have never struggled a single day with this build, I view the obstacles that I encounter as lessons learned and experience gained. It honors me that you hold this piece in such high regard as you yourself Kevin have a masterpiece of your own!
As far as more builds go… I already have 2-3 more builds I wish to fulfill, once The Master Chief is complete.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and praise, they are very well received!

Dave.

Hi Ruze!
I’m delighted to know that you like the build so far, it’s been a pleasure to do and I am eager to move forward! No worries about being a late comer, I would imagine you guys have your work cut out for you! As far as how much of the process that I share, I wouldn’t have it any other way. People have been kind enough to share their time and methods with all of the 405th, it is my duty to do the same! This thread was designed and executed in a way so that when complete, members will be able to come and reference a completed set of armor that has gone from A to Z without missing a beat, and to provide some motivation for anyone who is in need of it!

Thank you for your praise!
Having been moved here is something that I look upon with great honor!

Dave.

Gratz Dave, tis 'bought time :p
You are more than worthy of this move your work is outstanding!

Thank you kindly sir!
You should know that your work stands in no shadow!
Dave.

Great job on the helmet. Congrats on the move to Elite.

Thanks man, much appreciated!

Way to go Dave! I knew it was just a matter of time. Such awesomeness cannot go unrecognized for very long!

Thanks a bunch man!
I figured I'd ask them to move me here to keep you company! ;)
Cheers,
Dave.

Grats Dave!!!!!! you truly deserved every bit of this :D

Much appreciated Mustang!
Thank you!

congrats on elite status!!

Thank you much!! :)

Knowing that many people felt that I belong here among the elite; with some of the greatest craftsmen I’ve ever seen... is simultaneously empowering, uplifting and humbling!

This build at its core is nothing more than a by-product of what happens in an environment that surrounds you with; motivation, inspiration and kind and interesting people, all with common passions, interest and goals.

Thank you all, members of the 405th. You have all inspired and motivated me more than I could ever convey. All that I’m doing now, is paying it forward the best of my ability!

Cheers to all of you!

Dave/Cereal

NOW GET OUT THERE AND BUILD SOMETHING FRILLY!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Conrats dave to moving to elite! Way to go bro. You deserve it will all the fun you have been having building something so nice. I cant wait to see how the rest of the armor turns out lol. Ill be staying for the whole ride my friend.

I am thinking that to honour the new status a chest update is needed :D

I second drack XP lol

Ill third that hehe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back