CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG it made elite! Congrats man, this so deserved to be in that realm!!

Thanks man!

I am thinking that to honour the new status a chest update is needed :D

I second drack XP lol

Conrats dave to moving to elite! Way to go bro. You deserve it will all the fun you have been having building something so nice. I cant wait to see how the rest of the armor turns out lol. Ill be staying for the whole ride my friend.

Ill third that hehe :)

LOL, thanks everyone!
Yeah, I plan on getting to work on the chest, hopefully tomorrow night!. It's quite difficult finding time to work on the armour during the week. Sometimes I do manages some free time, but most of the time I don't. :(

I will be working on it this Saturday for sure! More than likely tomorrow evening as well.
Sunday... Dunno. Being Mother's Day and all, it would probably earn me the "Stare of Death" courtesy of the wife, should I wander into the garage! :angry

Dave.

Lmao I know the stare of death well. I have been getting it alot lately when I drag all my suit making tools and materials in to the living room. That is why I have found it hard to get my tutorials filmed.

!!! omg!! how did i miss this thread!! yo...you...your amazing!! words cannot describe how good you are at doing this!! real sexy!
Nice to see another Onterrific member too! i'm from Kingston myself :)
Ill be keeping an eye on this thread! inspiring!

Looks up...Yes!!! it's there... Congrats on the Elite well deserved.:cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao I know the stare of death well. I have been getting it alot lately when I drag all my suit making tools and materials in to the living room. That is why I have found it hard to get my tutorials filmed.

lol, true enough!
Ahh... the women; can't live with them... can't kill them! ;)

!!! omg!! how did i miss this thread!! yo...you...your amazing!! words cannot describe how good you are at doing this!! real sexy!
Nice to see another Onterrific member too! i'm from Kingston myself :)
Ill be keeping an eye on this thread! inspiring!

Happy you like the build so far, More to come!
It's nice to see another Ontario member!

Looks up...Yes!!! it's there... Congrats on the Elite well deserved.:cool

Thanks thorn!
Being that I had never done any real painting (in this way) before, Your thread is one of the few that helped me out when I was trying to figure out how to go about painting.
So... Thank you for that, sir!

Dave.

UPDATE TIME!

Just a reminder to those who are following along, I will be doing the left side of the chest only. As I plan on doing a video for the right side. The video will cover a great deal of work, including "battle damage", "creating layers", "smoothing and leveling" as these are the question's that I am asked about most frequently.

I'll be following the same process that I used for the helmet:
  • Work in sections
  • Rough in the final shape
  • Do mod's as needed
  • Primer coat
  • (lather, rinse, repeat. Until the whole chest is done)
  • Lay in all the final details and final smoothing done.

Back to the chest piece we go!

Same as in the last chest update, a couple weeks ago; first I knock down all of the pep joints and high spots. I also rounded over all of the sharp angles to give a more fluid look.

DSC_0374.jpg

A nice coat of bondo to smooth out all the joints and fill any sags or valleys caused by the resin/rondo. Once cured, start shaping the area to rough final.

DSC_0376.jpg

A coating of glazing putty to fill any scratches and tool marks. The glaze also helps out in rounding over all of the "inside" corners, giving even more of a smooth look.

DSC_0380.jpg

Sanding, sanding and more sanding. The area is now at a point to be considered "Rough final shape" so this is where we stop!

***I can't stress enough... STOP!!! All to often, I see people bring their work to a "final state" too early. What ends up happening is when working on the rest of the piece, the final work gets damages, nicked, scratched and or gouged. You also have to worry about blending the other side into this one, any adjustments you end up having to do will mean you have to "rework this section" again! So, let's work smarter... not harder!!***

DSC_0390.jpg

Here you can see the difference that rounding over all of the sharp points and angles has made. The piece looks like a metal casting, not something that was chiseled out.

DSC_0394.jpg

And finally, some primer. Primer is your best friend!! It allows you to:
  • See where you are sitting as far as smoothness.
  • Will highlight any scratches, pits and rough marks.
  • Helps protect the work you just did.
  • Looks a lot better too!

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

I purposely did not complete the top and bottom area where the front plate connects to the back plate. Those areas will be completed once the chest is re-joined, for a more perfect fitting look.

I get the whole day to work on the chest, If all goes according to plan, the left side should be "rough completed" by the end of the day! Updates will follow.

As usual, comments/questions always welcome!

Till next time, take care all!
Dave/Cereal.

This is looking very nice. I really like the "tutorial" approach to finishing this. Working on one side, then making a video for the opposite with a finished product to compare to. I have enjoyed this thread since day one, and it will absolutely help me in the future. Thanks for all of your hard work on this, and for sharing.

-Matt

So smoooooooooove~~~
8DD

I respect your sanding skills/patience. Your forearms and hand must be sore. lol

Looking sexy!! Can't wait to see the tutorial even though I am a foamist :)

This is looking very nice. I really like the "tutorial" approach to finishing this. Working on one side, then making a video for the opposite with a finished product to compare to. I have enjoyed this thread since day one, and it will absolutely help me in the future. Thanks for all of your hard work on this, and for sharing.
-Matt

Glad you like the thread layout!
It's here to help anyone who may need it. I've always figured it's more informative to watch someone do something than read the steps! It's my pleasure to share!

wow it looks great so far!
Also you make this seem so easy xD

Thanks!
Easy... wouldn't go that far... fun... absolutely!!

He really does make it look so easy. I mean.. It is fairly easy when you have the right tools ;)
Looks great, Dave!

LOL, You caught me!! I have a bag of special secret tools in my tickle trunk!! Muahahahaaaa!
But seriously, the tools I use most often are files, sandpaper and razor blades... Really nothing too special! Will cover this whole process in the next video.

So smoooooooooove~~~
8DD

I respect your sanding skills/patience. Your forearms and hand must be sore. lol

Thanks Roxy!
Yeah... it can get tiring with all the sanding. I just keep reminding myself what I'm getting out of it! Then the fatigue seems to subside!

Looking sexy!! Can't wait to see the tutorial even though I am a foamist :)

Happy you like it! Yeah the tutorial will provide much better coverage than the simple text. Still waiting for the foaming videos!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE!

To finish off the left side of the chest there was one more thing that needed doing...

The locks that bind the front and back of the chest armour. I don't think that I've ever seen these added on a build before on the Mk VI. Below is a reference picture of the locks on the upper chest on either side. (Thank you Church and Washington for posing!)

ChurchWash.jpg

Let us begin!
Now that the primer is nice and dry, I sanded down the whole side of the chest just to get rid of any inconsistencies and added spot filler where needed.

DSC_0424.jpg

Smoothed and rounded out the sharp edges in the recess for the plate locks.

DSC_0433.jpg

Sanded everything smooth and started to mark where everything is going to go.

DSC_0434.jpg

The usefulness of playing cards! I built a template in which I plan on pouring a 50/50 mix of rondo to build up the lock latch. After some careful measuring and cutting, I hot glued (low temp) the cards in place making a dam.

DSC_0439.jpg

After the pour, when the rondo heated up I pulled off the template. Once cured I sanded everything to a nice even surface.

DSC_0446.jpg

Here I'm taping off the inner area so I can build up the perimeter of the latch base. I will add straight bondo to build up the lip.

DSC_0450.jpg

Added the bondo layer and sanded to a rough finish.

DSC_0462.jpg

Lather, rinse, repeat for the outer flared edge of the lock assembly.

DSC_0467.jpg

More sanding and shaping...

DSC_0469.jpg

Added a nice coat of spot putty to smooth everything out and create a arced transition up the side of the ledge so it is not a sharp corner.

DSC_0477.jpg

One final finish sanding with 220 grit to bring it to its final shape.

DSC_0482.jpg

Primer!! Oh how I love thee!

DSC_0504.jpg

Done for now! Here's the overall look of the chest.

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0529.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it came out. It took some extra work, but in the end it was totally worth it!!!

As per the norm, any comments/questions/critiques.... Always welcome!
Till the next update...
Dave/Cereal.

This is a most wonderful build you have cooking here. Your process and skill with the materials is great. Thank you for sharing your work and how you are able to achieve such results. This is very inspirational for the community.

I've been watchin this for awhile and one thing keeps coming to my mind when i see this stuff

"I would have used foamies there....oh...thats why hes doing so much better."
WONDERFUL job dude, far superior to anything i've seen ever

You are very creative! I would have never thought playing cards would be so useful!
Keep up the god work, and thank you for sharing this to the world :)
(lol I meant to type "keep up the GOOD work" but I think I don't need to correct that typo ;) )

Spanktastic work as usual my friend. Are those lighting vents I see there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back