CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow man, I’ll have to agree with Spitfire, this is definitely a thread that the 405 has been waiting for. I really enjoy watching builds like this. These threads are both enjoyable to see come together and great at teaching old and new members some very critical skills.

The body work is phenomenal. I love the symmetry in your details and the nice crispness in your lines. You have a very impressive way in building up your details that allow you to get nice clean smooth planes on previous layers. Thank you very much for sharing and I look forward to seeing additional awesomeness in the future.

Great work!

Tony

Hey all!
I haven't posted in a couple days... It's been quite busy. So now without any further ado...
Let's begin!

honestly in my opinion this has to be the best mark VI helmet I've seen. I'm truly looking forward to its completion! Great work!!

I don't know... I've seen some pretty great work on this forum, but thank you for your kind words!

Sir, that is some of the best detail i have ever seen... i simply cannot wait to see the finished product

I'm verry happy that you are enjoying the thread!
Cheers! I promis there will be much more to come!

I like the "now" back of the helmet for sure lol and as far as all the details and everything *big thumbs up!* lol I definately have to work on using my dremel more to get to your level.

p.s. any chance of you maybe doing a video to show some of the detailing process?? just curious :)

Believe it or not, I don't really rely on the rotary tool too much. Of all the tools that I use, it is probably the one used "least"!

... I'll explain in my next post...

This site definitely needs more threads like this, with good photography and explanations, and not blurry photos fishing for compliments! If the amount of effort you're putting into the helmet is any indication, it looks like you're going to have an amazing suit when finished. Keep up the great work!

PS: I also feel the same about the Mk VI. Even though I built my suit after the release of Reach, I still had to do a MK VI. :cool

Thank you very much Spitfire!
When I started this thread, I set out to accomplish something, something that I have not really seen to often here; a true step by step process. I just wanted to build something great and make it so that "anyone" could come along for the ride and understand what was going on. What I wanted was to lay this thread out in a way so that it covers all the things that I found difficult to find when I was first searching for information when I became a member here almost 2 years ago. I just hope that my attempt is successful.

All picture threads: Take note, this is how everyone should showcase progress.

Also, absolutely impressive attention to detail. Despite being impatient as you've said, you've continued to put forth an impressive helmet,
and have yet to cave in.

Kudos and +1 suscribe to you.

Thanks for your comments and for tagging along!
For me, it's all about the details. My goal with this build is to make the Mk VI as close to the Halo 3 cut scenes as possible, while adding my own little flare here and there.
Hope it doesn't bite me in the a$$ in the end! ;)

Wow man, I’ll have to agree with Spitfire, this is definitely a thread that the 405 has been waiting for. I really enjoy watching builds like this. These threads are both enjoyable to see come together and great at teaching old and new members some very critical skills.

The body work is phenomenal. I love the symmetry in your details and the nice crispness in your lines. You have a very impressive way in building up your details that allow you to get nice clean smooth planes on previous layers. Thank you very much for sharing and I look forward to seeing additional awesomeness in the future.

Great work!

Tony

Hi Blackula

I'm very happy when people are interested with what I've set out to do here. It lets me know that I made the right decision in how I wanted layout this build thread. I Just wanted to make my thread in a way so that anyone who has never pepped, shaped and or detailed a piece before, could follow along with my step by step layout and possibly, maybe learn something from how I go about doing things and or by the mistakes that I make along the way. For the people who have already been around the block once or twice, maybe this will inspire them to start something new or re-visit something old.

Thank you for your comments and praise! They are well received. You too have some great work floating around this site, like your Elite sculpt that just looks freaking awsome!!!

Very nice indeed, one more subscriber here :D

Welcome to the party!
Unfortunatly there is no more beer :(

It's been a busy day and have made some progress, but have not had a chance to post it as of yet.
I will be posting it later tonight...
Cereal

Last edited by a moderator:
Tools of the trade...

I've been sent many messages with people asking me "What tools do I use when I work", well here's my attempt of answering that question for those who are interested:

059.jpg

Some of the things above are self explanatory...

What I have done is numbered the items that "I" feel are important, they are by no means a standard of any kind. It's just what works for me.

1. A foam backer for a light switch (weather proofing) I use this behind sand paper for cushioning as to avoid leaving finger marks when I sand.

2. CA Glue (Super Glue) comes in handy when you have pep paper coming through where you are sanding. If you put super glue on the paper it will go solid and sand very easily.

3. OOPS!!! The 3 was supposed to be on the "Razor Blades". These are the tools I use most often. They cut, gouge, and scrape like a cabinet scraper. Excellent for working with bondo while in the "curing" stage.

4. 90 Degree head for rotary tool.

5. Random orbit sander (just a personal preference) of course any type of sander will do just fine. I plan on purchasing one of the triangular sanders when one goes on sale.

6. File set, Do not under estimate the value of a good set of files large and small.
They are very versatile allowing you to get into all the little nooks and crannies. They also go further and faster than sand paper alone. DONT FORGET ABOUT THE WIRE BRUSH... MAKES CLEANING THE FILES A BREEZE!

7. Flex shaft; for rotary tool... Have you ever tried holding a Dremel like a pencil??? (need I say more)

8. Nope, no 8 on the picture... this is how low budget this production is!!!

9. Dentistry tools. These are just bonus items to have available. They are great at gouging, creasing and carving. Out of all of them that I have, I use one regularly. (see below)

The items that did not get a number really need no explanation. A pencil writes stuff and the sand paper sands. However the grits that I use are 80, 120 and 220. That's it, nothing special there.

Here is the one implement that I use most of these dentistry tools. It's called a "bone scraper"... can you guess what its original use was?? This item is great because it is almost razor sharp Titanium coated with Zirconium making it hard as hell. The angle of the perfectly flat teeth are such that when you press the tip of either end against an edge of a workpiece and pull backwards, it will pull 1/4 of a mm of material off, leaving nothing behind. The rest I use mainly for detail lines and to scrape out battle damage.

061.jpg

Ok, may sound stupid and look dumb but a simple pack of playing cards from the local dollar store can help out in your day to day work.

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

Ok, just promised some people that I would put this up. So there it was, hope it helps and or gives you any answers to what you were looking for. Actual progress update to come in a couple hours or so.
Cheers everyone,
Cereal.

omg thank you. i just ordered a flex shaft and need to try the rest never thought to use the cards. and any tips on what series of dremel or rotary tool to use?

omg thank you. i just ordered a flex shaft and need to try the rest never thought to use the cards. and any tips on what series of dremel or rotary tool to use?

Not too sure, I actually don't even use the actual Dremel brand. Any rotary tool would be just fine as long as it has a variable speed dial... Which I'm pretty sure that they all do! Hrmm.... I guess I never did go over the different attachments that are available, That is probably a good thing since there are so damn many of them. Best thing to do about all the different accessories is to go to the store and have a look at all the bits, they will all give a description of what they are ment for; sanding, cutting, shaping etc...

Ok, Update time:

I finally got the pictures up and wrote this thing. Not as much of an update as I would have liked, but an update none the less. I've started to finish off the left and right cheek. Yes... I sometimes use that Chief Head for some reference, but not all that much or that often. I find that there are too many elements that are way out of proportion and scale from the rest of the helmet.

039-1.jpg

Cutting out the final shape of the pattern. Used a cut up playing card to make sure that both sides match.

065.jpg

I'm pretty well done for now...
All the finishing details will be done later, as per my OCD like routine!

066.jpg

069.jpg

Oh yeah... One little suggestion...

070.jpg

Ah, what the hell... Like I've said before, I'm not the most patient person to have ever lived. So I threw a quick coat of primer on the completed parts just to see how it renders as a single colour and not a piece of graffiti covered body work!

072.jpg

And finally, here's another "Then && Now" shot.

ThenSide.jpg
NowSide.jpg

Like I said... not too much of an update for today, but as per normal; any questions, comments and or critiques are always welcome! :cool

More to come...
Cereal.

039-1.jpg

Cutting out the final shape of the pattern. Used a cut up playing card to make sure that both sides match.

So by building up you mean that you just added bondo right there right??

Everything looks great :) Thank you for the list of tools you use. I didnt even think about files lol.

Yeah, this is turning out awesome. I never thought about the dental tools. I will definitely be picking up some of those items. They look pretty verstile. Might be able to use them with sculpting as well. Anyways, great job all around and thanks for sharing. Oh yeah, one more thing, I'll have to agree that I sense "ELITE" status in the future. It's definitelys haping up to be a great/professional looking helmet.

Tony

Wowzers, Def has my vote for Leet status, great work my friend

Wow, thanks for the complement!

So by building up you mean that you just added bondo right there right??
Everything looks great :) Thank you for the list of tools you use. I didnt even think about files lol.

Roughly speaking, yes. I add bondo to the area that needs to be worked/moded and build and shape accordingly.
You're welcome for the tool list, if it helps it was worth it. Just remember to use it as a crude 'guide', that's what works for me.

Yeah, this is turning out awesome. I never thought about the dental tools. I will definitely be picking up some of those items. They look pretty verstile. Might be able to use them with sculpting as well. Anyways, great job all around and thanks for sharing. Oh yeah, one more thing, I'll have to agree that I sense "ELITE" status in the future. It's definitelys haping up to be a great/professional looking helmet.

Tony

The dental tools are a nice little bonus to have, I swiped them from my dentist when he left the room Muah ha ha! (jokes). I have a dentist who's been a family friend for years, he hooked me up with the set years ago. My understanding it that they are very expensive and hard to come by used, but it's always worth a shot to ask around or maybe even a check on ebay?? Dunno...

Glad you're enjoying the show, much more to come...

Elite.... oh yes, you have my vote. Awesome work, I'm loving every min of it.

Very happy that you like the thread, just re-enforces for me that I approached this build thread the right way!

Awesome :) This just became my 200th subscription.

Great work mate.

Thank you! and welcome to my (apperantly going to be very long) build thread, happy to have you!

Cheers all,
Cereal.

Ok, here's another update...

It's time to hit the front of the helmet. Which should move along rather quickly, that is unless I run into any problems!

Below is a picture that lists what work is being done:

077.jpg

The front had a pretty good warp to it that needs to be straightened out and leveled. The warp was caused when the helmet was getting resin coated on the outside. I had a heater running as it was just above 0 in the garage when I did this and despite my efforts to keep the heat up, it still to a while to cure. It cured somewhat poorly as the helmet never lost its tacky feel.

***FYI***
People who experience this "tackiness" with a cured resin coat, it is caused in 1 of 2 ways:

1. Working temperature is out of the recommended range for the product. Ensure that the ambient temp is at least 14 degrees.

2. The proper ratio of resin to hardener is not correct. Read the instructions of your product, then to err on the side of caution add an extra 5 to 10 drops of activator. Remember to only mix small batches and keep your eye on the clock!

078.jpg

Moving along... The angle and overall shape of the front ports is changing, giving it a more rounded effect at the top and widening it out at the bottom and gently flaring out to the outside.

079.jpg

Rough in of new shape is done:

131.jpg

A butterfly flaps it's wings in China... yeada, yeada, yeada...

Cause and effect! Because the shape and size changed above, this will affect the way that the ports on the bottom will look. Besides they were the wrong shape anyway, so this was being changed regardless of the work done above. Below is the course I will take in reshaping the port.

135.jpg

Rough in of new shape done, with a little bit of breakthrough I might add. The thickness of the front of the helm is thinner than the rest and will need a slush coad of rondo to bulk it up.

141.jpg

I find the pep came out rather round a bubble shaped on the cheeks, so I will be changing the angle of the front, creating more of a 55 to 60 degree pitch from over the breathers to the visor line.

145.jpg

Smoothing out some of the work and roughing in the new shape.

147.jpg

A nice coat of spotting putty helps get rid of the low spots and tooling marks.

151.jpg

Just about good to go, all that remains are a few little chips to fill and some pep paper showing that needs to be super glued and sanded.

158.jpg

Oh crap! I knew that I forgot to include something. Sorry folks!!! I forgot to show what the nose did look like. It was warped for the same reason as stated earlier. What I ended up having to do was push back the right side and reshape the whole thing.

Sorry that the process isn't here :(
I will try harder next time to make sure that I don't forget anything else! Anyways, here's how it came out:

161.jpg

Here is how the newly re-worked side looks:

163.jpg

164.jpg

That's about it for now, just have to lather, rinse, repeat for the other side; which should go much quicker now that the first side is done. I can use "playing cards to transfer the shapes across to the left side to ensure symmetry between the two halves of the front.

More to come!
As always; questions, comments, critiques always welcome!
Cereal.

Yes I love the build page set up. But it's you're skills in bondo that really set you apart from others. Awesome work, I'm very impressed.:D

This is starting to look absolutely amazing man! I wish I had the patients to a bondoed suit. Will you be sticking to the traditional Masterchief colour scheme or are you going to custom it?

Looking really good man! That's some mighty fine bondo work :D

Thanks V1K1N6, your wep's build is coming along great too! Its making me really, really want to build a weapon along side of this!

it looks amazing sir! your bondo work is truly amazing!i cant wait to see it finished

Lol, it will more than likely be some time until this build is all said and done! But it dosent stop me from picturing it on an hourly basis.

Yes I love the build page set up. But it's you're skills in bondo that really set you apart from others. Awesome work, I'm very impressed.:D

Thanks for the compliments! Its quite motivating when members like yourself who have built fantastic armour, feel that I am doing a good job. Like I have said to others in past posts, if my final work looks half as good as yours I will dance a Spartan Jig!

This is starting to look absolutely amazing man! I wish I had the patients to a bondoed suit. Will you be sticking to the traditional Masterchief colour scheme or are you going to custom it?

Thanks Drack! This is a project that I have been waiting to build for about a year now and is quite special to me being what it repersents. I could not change the colour scheme from that of Sierra 117. It just wouldn't ever feel right.

If that makes any sense at all.

Man I can't wait to see what you do with that damage when you get to painting! The front looks wicked better, friend! My dad was wondering, so I thought I'd ask for him, how do you cut out like on the underside of the chin without going through, but still get the edges so smooth?

You do gorgeous work, how do you smooth out the small recesses like the curved part of that triangle on the front?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back