CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this is awesome! And hey look a picture of u useing a file! Seeing that I am gonna go buy some this week lol. Everything is looking awesome man. One question though, how do u apply the bondo so smoothly?

Blarg Honk honk back at ya

That looks so good! Your like the Michael Angelo of sculping filler :D
Really great job, Cereal.

LMAO! Michael Angelo Wow... , Thanks man! That's quite humbling :)

First let me say, GREAT WORK! Lol. Second, I love the fact that Lost Viking called you the "Michael Angelo" of bondo sculpting. I loled. You should be proud of the name. It's great. But, I agree, you are the bomb nasty at sculpting bondo. Great work all around!

Tony

Thanks Tony!
When ever people gives me praise like you guys do, I'm never really sure how to respond... I just wanted to make something in a way that it was never done before. It is quite an amazing feeling though when people like something that you have made.

Thanks again!!
Very much appreciated!

This is simply brilliant ! You are taking your time and adding some SERIOUS detail. Great job man! You know , the Unity project still needs some people to work on some armor pieces.... :p lol

- Jacob

Thanks Jacob!
I've read the Unity Project thread several times and think it's a wonderful thing!! Great job in the past btw! I would be honored to take part in something like that, yet scared at the same time, as I would not want to screw it up!!! :eek

Wow this is awesome! And hey look a picture of u useing a file! Seeing that I am gonna go buy some this week lol. Everything is looking awesome man. One question though, how do u apply the bondo so smoothly?

Blarg Honk honk back at ya

Blarg... lmao!
Yeah, back on page... 3... maybe??? I go into the tools that I use regularly, the file set is most certainly there! As far as how I apply bondo so smoothly... I'm not sure. lol The only thing I could suggest is once you've applyed bondo to an area, don't touch it again it will just make a mess of things causing peaks and strings. Just make sure you have enough filler on the application tool that you are using and try to apply it slowly and smoothly, then move on. If the area needs more you can always go back to it with another coat later.

Hope that helps!

P.S. ***FOR GOD SAKES, IF YOU USE FILES MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET A FILE BRUSH!!!!***

Thank you all for your comments, you yourselves are quite inspiring people! I am very happy that my thread provides enjoyment for others!! Once again to all, thank you for your kind praises, they are very much appreciated!!

Well, I do have a progress update to post. I just have to scale all the images and what not. I will be sure to have it all done and posted before noon as at that point I have some family Easter obligations!

More to come...

BTW... HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're attention to detail is amazing, Epic build.

Thanks thorn!

Another Update...

Ok this one going to fell rushed, as I am under the gun to get this posted before I have to leave. So here we go!

Under brim sanding... Done! Next it to measure and mark, measure and mark and then measure some more to get the final position for each individual cut out for the panels.

285.jpg

What a pain in the A$$ this was!!!

Moving very slowly with my rotary tool with no real room to speak of, I finally got the panels cut out. Next I will purposely "dull down" the sharp angles of the panel details and round them over. It will make the whole area flow much better.

294.jpg

Did a little more sanding, applied some spot filler to any little chips or scratched. Also rounded over all the panels. Left the helmet out for a tan and to help cure the spot putty more quickly.

298.jpg

And the impatient side once again shows it ugly head!! A coat of primer to see if there are any imperfections! (That sounds better than "I just wanna see how it looks!!")

But... Here it is.

302.jpg

303.jpg

304.jpg

305.jpg

306.jpg

Well, that's about it for now. Time to post this and get going. As per normal; comments, questions, crits' always welcome!

Hope you like!

Dave.

That looks absolutely flawless. If I didn't watch your process step-by-step, I'd swear it was all CNC'd. That's precision!

All I can do is just sit here and shake my head with a smile on my face. This thing just continues to amaze me. Great work as usual.

-Matt

Absolutely beautiful work man!! I wish I had the patience to make such an awe inspiring piece of art as this. Every time I get a whistle from my iPad saying I have mail and it's an update from you on your thread and I get all excited to see the next stage. I tip my hat to you sir in true British form :)

The beauty continues! :) It's looking fantastic. I love the layer upon layer of detail. You really get great results with your bondo technique.

I'm curious: is there a specific benefit to using bondo for some of the more planar details (like the underside of the brim) in place of doing something like layering detail cuts of thin styrene? It seems the styrene could potentially save some time (as you would not need to file it flat or wait for it to cure), but maybe there is a trade-off that would need to be sacrificed? Or is it just a materials preference type of thing?

Again, really great work! :D

That looks absolutely flawless. If I didn't watch your process step-by-step, I'd swear it was all CNC'd. That's precision!

Thank you very much VIKIN6!
Thats exactly what I was going for!!! lmao.

Yha what he said ;)
Sorry running out of words describe this epic work of art of you'res. :D

Thanks thorn. I've had a lot of inspiration over the last couple of years.
Your build is no exception! :)

All I can do is just sit here and shake my head with a smile on my face. This thing just continues to amaze me. Great work as usual.
-Matt

Thanks alot Matt,
Very happy that you are enjoying the build!

Absolutely beautiful work man!! I wish I had the patience to make such an awe inspiring piece of art as this. Every time I get a whistle from my iPad saying I have mail and it's an update from you on your thread and I get all excited to see the next stage. I tip my hat to you sir in true British form :)

Why thank you Drack! Glad I can provide some entertainment for you!
Oh btw... I watch a great deal of Top Gear and being that you are from the U.K. I thought maybe you could answer something for me....
wtf is a Jaffa Cake??? !!!

I got butterflies in my stomach while watching this build.
Very good job, well done man.

Thanks!

The beauty continues! :) It's looking fantastic. I love the layer upon layer of detail. You really get great results with your bondo technique.

I'm curious: is there a specific benefit to using bondo for some of the more planar details (like the underside of the brim) in place of doing something like layering detail cuts of thin styrene? It seems the styrene could potentially save some time (as you would not need to file it flat or wait for it to cure), but maybe there is a trade-off that would need to be sacrificed? Or is it just a materials preference type of thing?

Again, really great work! :D

Thank you, happy you like it!
The only real benefit of my making the entire helmet out of bondo/rondo/resin it that I end up with an entierly solid piece with no add-on components. In the end its just fewer things that can go wrong, or detach, scratch and or gouge easily, etc... But mostly its just "personal preference" and think it will wear better. I just feel that if I endup molding my piece when they are done, I would rather deal with a solid than a composition of different materials. No real right or wrong here. As far as easier goes,... sure the styrene route would have been much easier. But I like pain and suffering!! That and I wanted the experience of having done a detail like that out of filler.

Thanks all for your comments, questions. Always welcome!!

Dave.

Blarg... lmao!
Yeah, back on page... 3... maybe??? I go into the tools that I use regularly, the file set is most certainly there! As far as how I apply bondo so smoothly... I'm not sure. lol The only thing I could suggest is once you've applyed bondo to an area, don't touch it again it will just make a mess of things causing peaks and strings. Just make sure you have enough filler on the application tool that you are using and try to apply it slowly and smoothly, then move on. If the area needs more you can always go back to it with another coat later.

Hope that helps!

P.S. ***FOR GOD SAKES, IF YOU USE FILES MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET A FILE BRUSH!!!!***

[/SIZE][/B]

Yeah i remember the list of tool, but i had not seen a picture of you actually using a file yet :)
and oh ok gotcha, i will give the a try, that might be my downfall so far because i do touch the stuff again to try and fix it and it just makes it worse lol. THANK YOU! :)
and i will get a brush with the files when i go buy them lol.

Oooooooo, more pretty pictures!! *tries to touch them but hand hits the screen* awwww dang i was so close to touching epicness. lol Keep it up man

A Jaffa cake is a biscuit that's really a Mini sponge cake with chocolate on and an orange jello filling. They are classed as cakes by the company that makes them because there is a tax for chocolate covered biscuits here and not chocolate covered cakes. I say they are mini cakes but ofc others would argue otherwise, either way they are the kind of biscuit/cake that once you have one you should expect the packet to be empty pretty quickly as they are super morish!

I've never seen someone approach the helmet with such care, precision and detail. Well done! =D

Im a firm believer that if your gonna do something, do it right and do it all the way!
If you hold anything back, it will haunt you until you right tne wrong.

Yeah i remember the list of tool, but i had not seen a picture of you actually using a file yet :)
and oh ok gotcha, i will give the a try, that might be my downfall so far because i do touch the stuff again to try and fix it and it just makes it worse lol. THANK YOU! :)
and i will get a brush with the files when i go buy them lol.

Oooooooo, more pretty pictures!! *tries to touch them but hand hits the screen* awwww dang i was so close to touching epicness. lol Keep it up man

Haha, thanks man. :)

A Jaffa cake is a biscuit that's really a Mini sponge cake with chocolate on and an orange jello filling. They are classed as cakes by the company that makes them because there is a tax for chocolate covered biscuits here and not chocolate covered cakes. I say they are mini cakes but ofc others would argue otherwise, either way they are the kind of biscuit/cake that once you have one you should expect the packet to be empty pretty quickly as they are super morish!

Lmao, cheers!
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I now feel compelled to try some. That may be difficult as i have never seen them for sale anywhere locally... And a trip to the UK could make this quite the costly treat!!!

Truly amazing sir! i wish i could do half the detail you do. im serious looking forward to seeing other work from you

originally posted by Cereal Killl3r

Thanks Jacob!
I've read the Unity Project thread several times and think it's a wonderful thing!! Great job in the past btw! I would be honored to take part in something like that, yet scared at the same time, as I would not want to screw it up!!!

You have a serious skill set! You could do it !
By the way I love how you're showing us step by step and not leaving anything out! Beautiful job man!

What a horrible abomination!!!!!!!:p

Real message:

What can I really say that hasn't already been said? With that, Well done sir. You're like the Maya Angelou of bondo sculpting...lol

Tony

Truly amazing sir! i wish i could do half the detail you do. im serious looking forward to seeing other work from you

Thanks man,
Like I told you before, keep at a task until its the way you want it. The time it takes should not be a concern!

You have a serious skill set! You could do it !
By the way I love how you're showing us step by step and not leaving anything out! Beautiful job man!

Thanks Jacob!
Yeah well... Ive been tossing around the idea in my head of doing the chest piece for the Unity project.
I will let you know in the next coupke of days! :)

What a horrible abomination!!!!!!!:p

Real message:
What can I really say that hasn't already been said? With that, Well done sir. You're like the Maya Angelou of bondo sculpting...lol

Tony

Lmao, thanks Tony!
I must also state that you have inspired me to try some clay work!
Im going to go either today or tomorrow to pick up a few pounds of sulpher free oil based. Just need to figure out if I need medium or hard... I am going to try sculpting a hand plate and see from there!

Once again, thanks,
Dave.

Lmao, thanks Tony!
I must also state that you have inspired me to try some clay work!
Im going to go either today or tomorrow to pick up a few pounds of sulpher free oil based. Just need to figure out if I need medium or hard... I am going to try sculpting a hand plate and see from there!

Once again, thanks,
Dave.

lol, awesome!! Like I said in my thread, join the FX lab. There is some incredibly valuable information in there on types of clay, how to create effects, what tools to get and what not. Also, Starvinartist & Thorn were extremely helpful to me during the journey. Good luck! and this build is Grrrrrrreat!! lol

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back