Charity of choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think we should donate to a "support our troops" or whatever, where do you think your tax money is going? And who is that going to help? America will just buy more arms and kill a few more people same a s Iraqi's. I think we should go for some thing like Cancer research. Or homeless childeren.

Vets are ok...most of those poor souls are victims anyway and deserve whatever help they can get since the government screws them every chance they get. My favorite charity is the Make-a-Wish foundation, though. I think terminally ill children should get anything and everything they want out of this unforgiving world before their time comes. That's where I would like to see my money go.

With so many choices around here, I figured it'd be best to suggest that maybe we all just pick a charity we're close to and work for that individually, but do it in the name of the 405th.

I aim to have my armor complete by the time the next London Marathon happens, and do the sucker in that. And be sponsored for A Life a Day (a Christian organisation that focuses on sponsoring children in Third World countries).

Don't get me wrong - donating to the military is an extremely noble cause. I used to be there, and I know how much of a difference even knowing you're being appreciated can be. But it's an extremely over-used point nowadays - everyone and their grandmother donates to military foundations, at the exclusion of other charities. Plus, there's an issue of other members of the 405th not agreeing with the affiliated charity - so, to save argument, a personal charity may be a better bet.

I do charity stuff in my Vader, mainly around San Antonio. We've done things for Red Cross, SA Food Bank, and Special Olympics. When we do something, it's usually a 4hr event, and we normally raise about $150 each time. What really drives me is the kids. Some get scared, but most just love it.

If the 405th is going to do charity work, here are my opinions:
No exclusive charity.
We can do more good by helping many charities rather than just one. A main charity is good, but not an exclusive one. The problem with an exclusive charity is that there may not be local reps for everyone. That means many 405th can't do anything to help.

Charity isn't just fundraising
For the Special Olympics, we just hung out in Athlete's Village. The athletes and their families took pictures and got to de-stress from the competition. Visits to children's hospitals are especially rewarding.

Relax the rules
The 501st prides itself on having professional costumes. That's great for them, but in all honesty when that happens many potentially great members are excluded. And since our particular hobby here is especially custom-oriented, there is no real "correct" costume. Besides, you won't wear it if you're not proud of it. Also, the general public won't know the difference - I have a fair amount of detail in my Vader, but really as long as I show up with the helmet and cape, I'm Vader. No one says, "Nice quilted leather pants and great chestbox." Nope - it's always "I am your father" and "look it's DARTH VADER!" It won't change for Halo.

Be Local
I think the 501st has a good thing with the structure of their group. Since the 405th is very similar, a similar structure would do well - especially for charity events. The main thing being that there is one or two people who are devoted to setting up events. Events don't just happen, they have to be worked at.

It's dress-up
Don't take things too seriously. When it comes down to it, we're people who are playing dress up. When it becomes too serious, that's when people stop having fun. With the Star Wars group I'm with, we never take things too seriously, and if someone heckles us, that's their problem. We're having fun and helping out good causes.

Now, I'm no expert, but I've seen a lot and know what tends to work and not work. I think that many good things can come from the 405th if we really put the effort to it. And seeing how much effort has been going into the projects here, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Everyone here is really helpful, sharing, and giving from what I've seen. To me, that's the key ingredients to make everything work.

The trick is be active, get out to the cons in your area. I would say donate to childrens hospitals, and charities. Service members.

Get with the marines and toys for tots, or a local 501st garrison. Im sure they would love to have the draw a Halo 3 Masterchief would draw.

If you try to find charities in your local area, it will make quite an impact.

Participate in local parades. Get out there and be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back