Check out the future of the 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
For years, we have struggled with our software, and sadly, you, our members have suffered for it. I know, with the update last year, the 405th probably FEELS better than it did before, but the fact is, the software we use to run our sites, including this one, the RPF and the Dented Helmet has fallen far behind the times and while new software isn't a cure-all, it certainly is a step in the right direction. One of our sister sites, Predatorium was even in worse shape than the 405th because it was on yet another platform that was equally frustrating, but we have just migrated it over to a fantastic new software that is simply the cats meow. Why? It is much more simple. It supports mobile and desktop WITHOUT the need for add-on software (no more lame Tapatalk!) Uploads are simple and straight forward. Communication and notifications are better... the list just goes on and on.

Anyway, take a moment to go and check out Predatorium, which is running the new software. With any luck, we will have the 405th converted to this software sometime in April-May. Right now, the only issue we are having to work out is how to move the file archive from one platform to the other.

The file archive is the one big difference and the one major hurtle we will have to overcome to be able to move this site (we won't migrate without being able to migrate the downloads area).

As far as personal preference... all I can tell you is that we won't be using tapatalk after the update.

Upvote 0
I hope in that case, Art, that this new service can push notifications of activity on subscribed threads to my notification bar like Tapatalk can. I'm not going to have my email inbox flooded with notification emails, and I'm too busy as a working adult to open the site in a browser to look for new activity. Apps exist for a reason; I wouldn't be so quick to kill off support for them. You may find you lose several members in the process.

Upvote 0
I hope in that case, Art, that this new service can push notifications of activity on subscribed threads to my notification bar like Tapatalk can. I'm not going to have my email inbox flooded with notification emails, and I'm too busy as a working adult to open the site in a browser to look for new activity. Apps exist for a reason; I wouldn't be so quick to kill off support for them. You may find you lose several members in the process.

Push notifications is no easy matter, but there are options out there that we are exploring to address this exact issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back