Christian Bale Goes Insane On Set Of T4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I had a brief discussion about this, and to be honest - I side with Bale on this one.

From what I can tell, the scene had Bale acting directly opposite Bryce Dallas Howard. At some stage, whether it was or was not at McG's discretion, the DoP Shane Hurlbut walks directly behind Bryce and starts tweaking lights, while the scene is being filmed. Now, when you're in the zone, trying to be John Connor, in a dystopian future, doing some kind of passionate and overwhelming scene with Kate Connor about how the world is screwed and there's something you need to do to save it (a little poetic licence there, granted), and you get a DoP walk right behind her with a light meter to screw with a light in the background (judging by the scenes I have seen of Bryce Dallas Howard, it would have been a night shoot or in the dark - even more noticeable) for not the first but the SECOND or THIRD time... that IS very distracting *and* very unprofessional. That sort of thing is something you do BEFORE you roll or AFTER you roll. Not during.

The next issue for me is whether McG told Hurlbut to mess with the light. You hear McG being told off by Bale over it, and to be honest McG should have been the one to chastise Hurlbut and not Bale - the fact Bale felt the need to shows that McG isn't keeping a very tight handle on the cast and crew. If McG told Hurlbut to, then that makes McG look like an ass. If Hurlbut did it of his own accord, both Hurlbut AND McG look like an ass.

This issue is not about whether or not actors get cranky or not - deep down, it's an issue about doing things right. If you were at work and your boss went off the handle because you were doing something unprofessional that distracted them from serious work that costs the company a hell of a lot of money per hour to do, you would either call him an ******* or think it was reasonable and apologise. Bale was doing his job. Hurlbut and possibly McG made a very unprofessional mistake.

Hmmm... interesting Peter Cooper. While what you said maybe the case, I still feel like Bale was unprofessional about how he handled it... Yelling and cussing out someone is one thing, but REALLY flying of the handle like that was uncalled for. I also hear Bale has anger managment issues...

News over the past year would suggest that, yes. I am not saying that Bale was being entirely reasonable by flying off the handle - I am simply saying that Bale was right. His reaction, violent as it was, was not the reasonable one to have.

So even if he has anger management issues, he obviously wants to do a good job with this role like he's done with many of his other roles. If I was an actor and I saw someone fiddling around with something they could do between takes where they shouldn't be during a take and I'm trying to deliver a line, I'd probably blow up on the guy too.

I think Cooper's explanation is dead on. This does not change my opinion of Bale. Actually it probably improves it somewhat.

Another thing to consider - the take will be done an infinite number of times til the actor, director and all the creative personnel are happy with it - including the DoP. If the actor is getting pissed because the DoP is faffing around DURING a take, that is one take wasted and that is another stretch of time later in the day they will have to make up for.

Another view - Bale's outburst took 5 minutes. That 5 minutes wasted probably cost the production somewhere in the region of $10,000 factoring in the 200+ crew, wages for the pro actors, electricity and so on. And that 5 minutes (plus however long DURING the take that was lost) could have been ignored had the DoP just waited til they cut.

rvb4life said:
i had some respect for him as an actor, he was one of my favorite actors, but this just ruins it.
Its not like Mike Phelps and his whole bong incident recently, i like HIM even more for that. But Christian Bale just needs to shut up sometimes.

Heh to me it sounds like bale needs to sit with phelps and have a duel bong "incident" lol.

It doesnt change my views on bale all that much, the stuff actors go thru for movies is a pain. If you wanna hear/see what some go thru, watch the bonus features on disc 2 of Hellboy and the golden army. The guy who plays prince nauda (I think I spelled it wrong) had to wake up somewhere around 4 am, go thru 6-7 hours of make-up, then film all his parts, get the make-up taken off (another 2-3 hours, then go to bed around 2-3 AM!! The stress and sleep deprivation can really do damage to people. Heres a small link to a bit of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GO7pneie0

Hell, look at what ledger went thru for playin the joker, all the days of not sleeping with the stresses he went thru.......just led up to him taking a fatal cocktail of meds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we understand it is distracting, but to rant on and on and on, and make all these personal attacks is ridiculous.

Adam said:
Yes, we understand it is distracting, but to rant on and on and on, and make all these personal attacks is ridiculous.
I have to agree... okay, your distracted, chew him out a bit, then drop it. Don't whine about it over and over, I'm sure the guy gets the point after the first few phrases spoken at him.

Adam said:
i agree with you , i have see this kind of action to many times : there is one actress i wont work on a set with because shes worse !!!! Adam you are correct ! btw great site

BlacRoseImmortal said:
ROFL, sounds like SOMEONE woke up on the wrong side of the floor that morning.
Bale doesn't sleep on a floor, he sleeps on a pile of money in a bat-cave.

Adam said:

Yeah def.

If Bale gets that mad over a lamp, he might want to consider growing Bonsai trees for a living instead. Maybe rake a zen garden, take some snowboarding classes....become a puppy sitter.

I love him as an actor but come on, have some self control when you know you are being recorded ;)

Did he get arrested in london for assaulting his mom and sister? What does that tell you about the type of guy he is....

and i though billy conolly had a foul mouth i really do think that christian bale needs to take a break and that poor techy
would laugh if all the techys go on strick for this.

if the terminator films are as good as the sarah connor chronicles are im gonna love them (although im not the biggest fan of the old govenator wasn't to bad in his older films though e.g twins, the one where his pregnant)

Spartan857 said:
Heh to me it sounds like bale needs to sit with phelps and have a duel bong "incident" lol.

It doesnt change my views on bale all that much, the stuff actors go thru for movies is a pain. If you wanna hear/see what some go thru, watch the bonus features on disc 2 of Hellboy and the golden army. The guy who plays prince nauda (I think I spelled it wrong) had to wake up somewhere around 4 am, go thru 6-7 hours of make-up, then film all his parts, get the make-up taken off (another 2-3 hours, then go to bed around 2-3 AM!! The stress and sleep deprivation can really do damage to people.

u think thats bad the character 'Zan' from farscape had almost 12 hours for makeup some days (mainly the episodes where she wasn't wearing as much clothing as usual) and she ended up becoming allergic to the makeup (which is why she left farscape)

pooper said:
Did he get arrested in london for assaulting his mom and sister? What does that tell you about the type of guy he is....
Actually he did and willingly cooperated with police on the matter and was not charge after questioning from the police. He was released on bail for future inquires. Assault in the criminal sense has many meanings. Verbal is one of them.

Did you know there is a law in Michigan that makes being annoying a crime?

Personally I've yelled at people like this before myself. Trust me, they deserved it and they soon realized their mistake. Though handled in a rough manner, Bale is still making good sense at not just shouting slanderous insults toward the guy.

I guarantee no one will walk on scene near him, or within eye shot, again unless directed to do so.

I think Bale's next role should be Jesus since everyone is so quick to crucify him for being human.

This happens everyday at jobs all over the world, but because he's an actor we put him on a pedestal.

He's human, which means like the rest of us lowly humans, he's prone to things like laziness, anger, and mistakes.

23Magnum said:
I think Bale's next role should be Jesus since everyone is so quick to crucify him for being human.
once there was a man that tried to get everybody to get along and play nice........they killed him. sad

Wow.

I respect him as an actor, but that is ridiculous. I understand that he would get angry when someone is distracting him in the middle of a scene, but to go on a three minute rant like 'that' is totally uncalled for.

Sure, no one is going to do something like that again, but at what cost? I have no respect for people like that, he is treating Hurlbut like what he was doing was not needed. No one just randomly decides to change a light in the middle of a scene, there is a good reason. Some actors don't understand how long it takes, and how hard it is to get sets and lighting perfect. They think that they are the only or most important aspect of the movie. I'm gonna guess it's kinda hard to act in a movie without lights.

People will always get what they want when they act like that, but no one will have respect for him. Anyone can just yell and verbally attack someone until they get what they want. It takes a reasonable person, even if they are angry, to calmly ask why they were doing what they were doing.

Everyone gets angry sometimes, but no one should be able to explode like that and get away with it.

Vexona said:
[...]...become a puppy sitter.
Christian Bale is never going near my puppy! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back