Cosplaying in public

Zenghilios

Member DIN
S500
Wasn’t sure where to throw this thread, but I was curious as to what the “unwritten rules” of cosplaying in public are outside of the obvious ones (be kind, don’t be obnoxious, etc.).

Is it okay to just walk into a GameStop or Best Buy as a surprise and walk around for 5 mins or pretend you’re looking at Halo stuff. Is this against the law in any way? I would love to make some fun videos and have no intention of being a public nuisance. I just want to have fun and maybe give people the opportunity to see a cosplay if they’ve never been to a convention.

Essentially I’m looking for suggestions on how to approach this. I’m a content creator and would love to, well, create content around this.

Your guys’ thoughts? Anyone done this before on their own?

Upvote 0
Do not go into a retail establishment, like Best Buy or GameStop in costume without the Stores permission, and absolutely do not film there without their permission.

While the new normal in our world is that many places are fine with or even encourage you to wear a face mask for health reasons, many private business and States or Cities have rules or laws against wearing an identity concealing mask or covering in their establishment or in public.

Also realize that when you go into a public space you are with the, well, public, and while you know you are a costumer in a Halo costume, there is no garuntee a member of the general public will understand that. There are countless stories of Star Wars costumers having the Police called on them when they went out in Public not to an invited event, and sometimes even at a place they were specifically invited to be at. And Halo costumes tend to be much more overtly Militaristic then a Star Wars costume. If someone sees a Stormtrooper and panics, imagine how they would react to an ODST, which looks much more like a modern paramilitary uniform.

And before anyone tried to say it, no, these people who are confused at someone showing up in a costume, uninvited or randomly in the public are not Wrong or Bad or whatever. You have to understand that even with how popular Cosplay has gotten, it is still a relatively niche Hobby, and a strange person in a vaguely threatening armored outfit just walking into the Mall is not something you see everyday, is out of the ordinary, and when taken from an outside perspective, is concerning.

Be Smart. Have permission. Get it in writing if you can, even just an email. Notify local authorities. Have atleast 1 handler.

Last edited:
Do not go into a retail establishment, like Best Buy or GameStop in costume without the Stores permission, and absolutely do not film there without their permission.

While the new normal in our world is that many places are fine with or even encourage you to wear a face mask for health reasons, many private business and States or Cities have rules or laws against wearing an identity concealing mask or covering in their establishment or in public.

Also realize that when you go into a public space you are with the, well, public, and while you know you are a costumer in a Halo costume, there is no garuntee a member of the general public will understand that. There are countless stories of Star Wars costumers having the Police called on them when they went out in Public not to an invited event, and sometimes even at a place they were specifically invited to be at. And Halo costumes tend to be much more overtly Militaristic then a Star Wars costume. If someone sees a Stormtrooper and panics, imagine how they would react to an ODST, which looks much like a modern paramilitary uniform.

And before anyone tried to say it, no, these people who are confused at someone showing up in a costume, uninvited or randomly in the public are Wrong or Bad or whatever. You have to understand that even with how popular Cosplay has gotten, it is still a relatively niche Hobby, and a strange person in a vaguely threatening armored outfit just walking into the Mall is not something you see everyday, is out of the ordinary, and when taken from an outside perspective, is concerning.

Be Smart. Have permission. Get it in writing if you can, even just an email. Notify local authorities. Have at least 1 handler.
I was thinking about most of this previously, so I am glad you brought it up and reaffirmed that! I appreciate you reaching out and giving your two-cents because I want to make public content the RIGHT way and avoid impeding on anyone's day or causing any public concerns. I will keep all of this in mind for the future.

I'd say biggest thing on private property is when approached by an official then just comply. I've cosplayed in a mall at a store's request, but the security said no masks so I just trooped with my helmet off and no weapons.

In public spaces be sure to have orange tips on your guns. Also seconding having a handler. You can't hear or see well in costume and might escalate a situation unknowingly.

I have also heard stories of Halo cosplayers getting police called on them.. Just someone out their window or in their car concerned with what they are seeing (you) down the street or in the parking lot. Not that it should stop you, just don't be flustered/stressed if it happens.

I have also heard stories of Halo cosplayers getting police called on them.. Just someone out their window or in their car concerned with what they are seeing (you) down the street or in the parking lot. Not that it should stop you, just don't be flustered/stressed if it happens.
Yeah. Been there. 3 cops pulled up and spoke to me. Had all my ducks in a row so it was no big deal, but could have been interesting for sure. They asked what I was doing, then asked for pictures!

No, I don't have any of the pictures. :(

I'd say biggest thing on private property is when approached by an official then just comply. I've cosplayed in a mall at a store's request, but the security said no masks so I just trooped with my helmet off and no weapons.

In public spaces be sure to have orange tips on your guns. Also seconding having a handler. You can't hear or see well in costume and might escalate a situation unknowingly.

Yeah I’m prepared for something like that to happen. I want to make sure everything is in order and I do everything properly/go through the right channels :)

Yeah. Been there. 3 cops pulled up and spoke to me. Had all my ducks in a row so it was no big deal, but could have been interesting for sure. They asked what I was doing, then asked for pictures!

No, I don't have any of the pictures. :(
That’s both hilarious but also scary. Would have sucked if they had been jerks about it. Glad you went through all the right channels first.

That’s both hilarious but also scary. Would have sucked if they had been jerks about it. Glad you went through all the right channels first.
Arguably, it's probably because I didn't go through ANY channels first, I just went and did it. I'm confident if I had called and told them I could have avoided a lot of problems.

But yeah, could have gone a lot worse.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back