Daflea's Cqb Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
godsarmor said:
so daflea do u want me do make a vid?

That's OK I don't think a vid will help much.. Was looking at FS build but he is not done with the back yet. It will be interesting on how he put the vents in...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not a huge update.. I didn't put as much time in as I would have liked this weekend.

Basically I have worked on the rear of the helm some adding the raised detail. I am torn on some of the detail thought, some rear images I see has a third raised area towards the top where there is the downward pointing area.

Then other pics I see doesn't have it, i am going to include it because I feel it makes the rear look better. Since this is an after thought I have been building up with styrene on top of the bondo to allow for this added detail. You can see where I have outlined in pencil where I am planning on doing this.

I had to order more styrene Friday and it was supposed to ship out today.. You would think the stuff is made of gold because its close to 3 bucks for 10 strips. Talk about highway robbery, it should be more like a buck per bag.

Anyway after I build it up I will add some filler to clean up the mess. So tomorrow I think I will bust out the mortising bits to cut in the two round spots on the back. I need to find some curved buttons to glue in the area I mill out.

Also across the front top area I had to add some more bondo to bring that area further forward. I need to blend the point out of it so it matches better. The thing I have noticed working with this helm is the curves are a pain when trying to match the game look.

I went ahead and got a pic of me wearing it and it seems to be sized correct. I have noticed the the CQB is wider than a lot of the other helm designs. So it doesn't appear to be bobble head when wearing it, cant say to much about my posture lol

101_2815sm.jpg

101_2814sm.jpg

101_2816sm.jpg

On a side note I did get my Power supply and the parts for my z Axis for my CNC machine ordered. Cant wait to get it running because it has been a long waited project so far.

Also I printed out a couple of size testers of the boots and had a question for anyone that has completed there boots.

I scaled it to 170mm wide which was close to my shoe size, so I thought. After assembling today its more on the lines of fitting my son's shoe. He is a size 6 and I am a size 8 1/2. If I make it much bigger it will seem like I would be wearing clod hoppers. I am thinking it will have to be at least 190mm wide to fit..

Just a quick update...

I received my styrene strips yesterday and just in time for the weekend.

So I am back cracking on my Helm and I hope to have some pictures up Sunday evening for everyone's enjoyment

I did purchase the "Art of Halo 3" only to be disappointed that there was not a lot of sketches of armor in the book. Anyway it will make for an interesting read at some point. Oh wait its a picture book duh

godsarmor said:
are you going to add the bumps that are at the top of the helmet ??

Yes I do plan on making the bumps at the top. I had to get rid of them in the beginning because they were miss formed and not really salvageable.

Anyway stay tuned and tomorrow will be a dust filled day.

Doug

OK not a huge update but I managed to finish detailing this are of the helmet. All I have to do is finish cleaning up the mess I left behind.

I ended up help a neighbor's son build a Pinewood derby car, ahh the competitive spirit has resurfaced and I hope he wins. That and I was working on my boots so i hope to put together a thread showing its progress as well.

101_2818sm.jpg

101_2819sm.jpg

Oh and I got my web server online and started the groundwork of putting my site together. Now i just need to get all the other sites I host moved over to the new box...

until next weekends update...

Doug

godsarmor said:
looking real good are you ganna put styrene were the pencil sketch is at? :D

I have seen some references where there is some detail like that, but I haven't decided yet if it looks right.

Spidur said:
nice helmet so far, nice and smooth edging and surfaces, it's gonna look awesome when it is done :p keep it up!

Thank you.. That's what I am working for is awesome lol

nice helmet so far, nice and smooth edging and surfaces, it's gonna look awesome when it is done :p keep it up!

Well after a long break I have resumed working on my CQB helmet, and have put another 6 hours into the project.

So far what I have done is primed the helmet looking for imperfections, and of course sanded some more. Also I have been concentrating on is getting the helmet symmetrical, and as smooth as possible. Of course this leads to more sanding but i feel it has been worth the effort so far. I went ahead and started to add some detail to the front as well which has lead to more sanding. Again this is not a huge update but I wanted to let everyone that is following this thread know its not a dead project.

Also did I mention I did some more sanding on the project.

DSC01440SM.jpg

DSC01441SM.jpg

DSC01442SM.jpg

DSC01443SM.jpg

Doug

Liq said:
the hours are paying off, it will be gorgeous when its finished.

Thanks I hope to get back on the project this week before I head out of town. Also I noticed your in Alabama, do you happen to be close to the Eufaula Area...

Doug

Glad to see you back on it Doug!! You might want to think about doing some more sanding:p . Looks great man!!

Daflea said:
Thanks I hope to get back on the project this week before I head out of town. Also I noticed your in Alabama, do you happen to be close to the Eufaula Area...

Doug

Birmingham, near Hoover area if you're familiar. Oh and ROLL TIDE!

Clockwerk said:
Very nice helmet, great detail, smooth, its going to be a sweet helmet.

Thanks, that's the plan..

mks81 said:
Glad to see you back on it Doug!! You might want to think about doing some more sanding:p . Looks great man!!

Thanks, Ill work on that sanding part lol

Liq said:
Birmingham, near Hoover area if you're familiar. Oh and ROLL TIDE!

Ahh I'm up that way there all the time, you're only like three hours from me. Oh and War Eagle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back