Daft punk Guy helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep sorry as you can see from the step by step we're pretty low tech and don't have access to casting stuff unfortunately! to the guy who asked about a copy of the visor - that won't work unfortunaetly, every helmet is a slightly different shape so neither one of our visors would fit your helmet.

@crowcrow: What did you do to the back portion of the helmet? (Where the wires originally go)
I don't think there's pictures of the back. Unless I skipped a pic or something.

Your gonna need to build a vacuum former. Just youtube it and you'll find TONS of videos on it.

thx bro i know
can you send me your Pepakura file please i love your helmet an i see yours is more easy to construc :D oo and one question about the visor you how can i turn in black??

Hey, sorry not to have been back for so long - for back I had another plastic panel - I was going to vac-form that properly, but I used an off cut of the front visor that went a bit wrong. Then I sprayed it blue like the visor. I was going to put one of those EL sound activated panels in there, but it felt like overkill, and I'd already spent enough.

He's a pic:
6158979995_d9fcda689c_b_d.jpg

NotelyM - vacforming is simple (and really hard at the same time!)

You just get the piece you want to form, place it on the vacuum table, place heated plastic over it and turn on the vac. Here is a good guide:

The hard part if getting the plastic to just the right temperature, and getting the plastic smoothly over the item you want to cast, without wrinkles.

CrowDNS - use headlight tint to tint the plastic - we found it really hard to get this right though - in mine you can see in some pics where I cleaned up a line across the visor for better vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is always time for more sanding - it really is the superfine sanding that makes it look all the better. Mine looks good in pictures and at night, but is nothing like some of the properly perfect ones I've seen online.

I'm currently a bit torn about making another - or repairing that one. Not sure if I can bring myself to do it all over again, but equally I know some many things do to bother doing, or to do differently that it should make it so much faster and better.

In the mean time I am planning a victorian style gentlemans cane to carry at my wedding next year, that will be hollow so it can be used as a hipflask.

Hey - sorry to bring back an old thread, but thought you might like to know that my helmet was featured in the excellent Dark Side of Glastonbury documentary ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jv7f4/Glastonbury_After_Hours/ ) at best it can be described as a fleeting appearance, but hey I made it onto the BBC, and in a doc about Glastonbury, which I love!

All 3 seconds of my sweary, robot helmeted TV fame is captured below for your enjoyment. I'll not embed the video, as the message I had scrolling at mouth height was not very safe for work at all, so proceed at your own risk. I can remember when they filmed it, was about 6am Sunday morning, after a most amazing Saturday night that kjeevah and I spent storming around Glasto minus the other robots, having an amazing time.

http://youtu.be/d_FYx5YIcMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back