Desert OSDT custom variant

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey no rush, most of us have a lot done and still have work to do.(every 1-3 people do.) plus it's almost dead on.

here are some updated pics
the current state of the helmet, still needs a little more work before i mold it.
null_zps39252774.jpg

here are some of the parts that are ready for molding
null_zpsd1ecfa3c.jpg

And the rest of the parts, since i am molding it all, i am only doing 1 of the parts that require 2 identical parts. I also have to redo the thighs, probably gonna try EVA foam.
null_zpsdee3dde4.jpg

Digital Camo Pattern

YO! finally someone has about the same idea as I do. Here's something you could probably do- This is what I plan on doing. Find somewhere (internet or otherwise) that sells ACU pattern duct tape. After fiberglassing and finishing our helmet add strips of the ACU patterned tape. Aligning them as carefully as possible. Then coat the tape in clear protective coating. Thus, you have your ACU patterned equipment.

It sounds silly, but it's just an idea. Its cheap and hopefully effective enough. Good luck on your project though, I'm going to stay on top of this one. :)

I've done some digital camo work on actual firearms with stuff called dura coat, and if I can make a recommendation, it would be to use painters tape.

Get a roll of 1", cut it down the middle after taking a long strip, and then cut little cubes from those 2 strips. Get a nice base color on your armor first, then stick down those little tabs. Hit it with a second coat, add more tabs, and then a third coat. More tabs, fourth color.

It comes out looking REALLY good if you space it out well enough and can picture what the patterns will look like when you're finished. Just remember that actual camo needs to have discernable shapes to it, or from a distance it just becomes one giant combo of the colors you've put in there. Which is why the ACU sucks so badly. I'd recommend a single dark color (black or dark green), a single light color (khaki, light green, light grey, whatever) and then 2 nice middle ground colors.

The tape will build up, but you'll get some great looking patterns. I wouldn't recommend cutting the tape cubes too small either, it makes for more work and you really do lose definition.

I'd post pics, but this isn't the right forum. Hope this helps and feel free to message me if you'd like to see a sample.

Best of luck, build looks great, and I hope to follow suit here eventually.

Since i got home and dismantled this for prep to make molds, I grew tired of looking at every little detail. I took a little break and put this together so i can work on something a little less beautiful and a little more wearable. it needs some trimming and a harness system. heres a pic:
null_zps396ee064.jpg

^^this^^ and also, thank you for your service. Most of my role models when I was growing up, were marine and army members or vets. Thank you sir.

I have strayed away from this project for awhile with all of the issues this site has had. I wrapped up my ROTJ Boba Fett and my ROTJ Biker Scout. Sold the Master Chief and a few other projects i realized i will never finish. I do want to finish this, even if it is just the helmet and end up buying a set of Armor.

I was going to do an urban themed ODST but I decided to stick with the standard. But seeing this has made me really want to do another one (not out of EVA foam) that is urban. This all looks really awesome, keep it up! :D

Good to see you back at it. This was always a great thread. We wouldn't mind a pic or two of what you did build while the ODST project was on hiatus.

Redshirt

I agree with Redshirt, its good to see you back. I still have not built my Desert ODST yet and was wondering if you had made progress.
Hope to see some pics soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back