Dremel Rotary Tool help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 114 sk8

I just bought a Dremel 7300 Rotary Tool and im using it to sand my Bondo, but i dont know if i'm doing this right... Anybody know where i could find a tutorial, or do you know some tips off the top of your head?

what is it you're not sure you're doing right? My general advice would be take it slow. only remove small amounts at a time. its easier to remove a little more bondo than to have to go back, re-bondo, then sand it again. trust me. also, for larger areas, i would suggest hand sanding, but thats just my personal preference. I bondo cars all the time, and once you get it roughed into shape, its easier to get it right by sanding by hand with a sanding block. if you really want to get the curves right, maybe even invest in a durablock and cut a smaller piece off it and use that. or maybe those sanding blocks with the grit on the block itself. Another tool ive seen that would probably be of some help is a 3m product i used at the shop. it was a spongy material like a thin layer of foam with sandpaper on one side. i'll try to find out more about it. its meant for wet sanding but i used it for dry sanding.
I don't know if this has been of any help, but maybe you'll find something you can use in there

I just bought a Dremel 7300 Rotary Tool and im using it to sand my Bondo, but i dont know if i'm doing this right... Anybody know where i could find a tutorial, or do you know some tips off the top of your head?

What attachment/bit/etc are you using? What specifically are you trying to do? Pictures might help...

For what it's worth, I mostly used my Dremel to cut off larger pieces & deburr the nastier bits of resin that were only good for poking & scraping me.

A decent file or rasp can work wonders on Bondo before it has totally cured.

I used a random orbit sander to handle most of the actual sanding i needed done, and then a bunch of elbow grease & sanding by hand.

I've been using a small etching tool to carve details into my stuff but yeah... like everyone else mentioned... slow slow slow. I'm using the sanding tools to round out edges and rounded surfaces. I was going to try one of the small grinding tools tonight in my crevice details to see f it makes them a bit more concave looking instead of looking like a pitted line.... if that makes sense... but yeah... having a multitude of different 'grade' sandpaper is a must for finishing it off.

quick question while on the subject.... anyone try using the dremel polisher to smooth after the ultra-fine sandpaper? I was considering experimenting with it myself...

are you saying smooth the bondo with the polisher? Or the final paint? cuz i would say your best bet would be don't polish until after paint. One, the primer/paint should help smooth it out, plus i don't know if the polish would mess up the paint adhesion.

A dremel is good for doing detailing and getting into small areas, If you are sanding something like a Helmet for example you will either want to hand sand it or use a mouse sander which is a electric palm sander about the size of your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back