ODST Helmet 3D printing help

TomC000

Hi Everyone

I would like make my first cosplay to be an ODST and I'm trying to make a start with the helmet. I downloaded Pepakura and found the right scale that fits for me. :)

So second stage is doing a 3D print of it. Making a complete start of this I have fusion360 installed as my modelling software, I can download solidworks if needed but I'm trying to save myself from buying a licence. haha

So my question is there a 3D model of the rookie ODST helmet that I could download? and if possible suggestion of the most ideal software to use so I can scale it correctly?

I know many steps ahead so taking it slow with hopefully as little mistakes as possible.

Thanks in advance!

There are some paid options out there, but we also have free ODSTs in the Free 3D Model Index:

As for scaling, the paid Armorsmith program by TheArmoredGarage is considered the Go To by many of our members.

As cadet linked above there are some in the free 3D file index, and it’s also worth doing a quick search on thingiverse. There’s a few really nice 3D models on there for free.

Personally for scaling I use armorsmith. It’s about $40 but without it if you have to do even one helmet re-print it justifies the price tag

Test ring method is an option if you are not ready to fully commit to something like armorsmith - great software. Lots of youtube videos on this. Personally, I like Frankly Built's video. I use test rings regardless of what armorsmith tells me, just to check and visualize in real space how everything is going.

The thrust of the method is that you cut the 3d model into "rings" only a few layers thick - 3 is about all you need - at the narrowest area to see if your head/arm/leg will fit through it. They print fairly quick and don't eat up too much plastic.

However, scaling up a helmet just to get your head to fit through the modeled neck hole isn't the end all be all. Some helmet designs - like titlewave's odst helmet used in my profile pic at this time - have neck/back of head pieces that meant to be attached after the helmet is on.

Best of luck!

Hi thanks for the advice, I don't mind spending on the Amor smith as its something you only buy once.
and printing off an ring is a must as an idea. it would end up becoming a nightmare otherwise!

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back