Emile - Halo Reach foam build for PAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you'r worried about the integrity of the foam, you could always reinforce it from the inside. If you hot glue strips of cloth over the seams, even whole sections, you'll be able to add more weight w/o compromising integrity.You could cut out the areas that you would need to get in to like the battery pack and your creeper-cam........I mean your GoPro :facepalm

Ahem - i prefer to call it my HoePro as it is clearly just for recording fema- ok just kidding. I'll look into this! Thanks for the tip

ouch........no prob......

haha was just making fun of myself - i do appreciate the tip for the foam. and a fun fact is that i never even thought about it being conceived as a creeper cam until after i made it and showed it to my brother he goes - 'so... is this solely for recording hot female cosplayers?' and then i realized that was exactly what it seemed like it was for. Doh!

Being in the Pacific, you would get all those hot female cosplayers anyway. Not to say there aren't any over on the east coast.......(CYA for any of them who are listening in), but most of the big cons in the east are in colder weather seasons.

Being in the Pacific, you would get all those hot female cosplayers anyway. Not to say there aren't any over on the east coast.......(CYA for any of them who are listening in), but most of the big cons in the east are in colder weather seasons.

i occasionally wish i went to more east coast cons just so i wouldnt boil alive inside my heat inducing suit!

Freeze or fry, "ours not for us to reason why, ours but to do and die".......take your pick.

Another quick update - the lighting is mostly worked out in the suit. The only real non simple part was the little spine section down the middle. I couldn't work out how I wanted to try to get just the bottom facing sides to glow while not having holes anywhere. I eventually settled on trying to make the whole assembly out of clear acrylic pieces, painting the top and having the sides be transparent still. Then I cut out some holes to sneak in some LED strips.

To reverse back a second, the wiring is...okay. It needs some cleaning up. Here it looks alright. The total count was 6 LED strips &9 LED bulbs and a lot of wires.

jEV4Z4v.jpg

Here's a look at the acrylic sections

SdRWu7h.jpg

I had to snap a picture before throwing the spine section in there

DiwZMdv.jpg

Initial testings led to me finding out that

A) I needed to clean up the acrylic down low better because it got some paint on the sides, blocking light and

B) I suck at wiring. The top bulb popped, I suspect the ground and positive were hugging and exploded

6C9Q7Xq.jpg

Points A and B are made more clear here

SQcSOuL.jpg

On the plus side, I'd look like a walking cop car if I wore my Starlord helmet at the same time

jJa9x8D.jpg

That's all I got! I've done a lot of small things like finish up the neck piece, abdomen piece, mounting shoulders together, finishing the inner thigh sections and adding acrylic and LEDs to all the necessary locations. I'll update that better when I finish those pieces a little better

Quick update - I've made a lot of not-post worthy progress. Mostly strapping, detail work and some other small stuff. I did put most of the suit on yesterday to make sure it fit. Good news - it does, and I can still walk. All steps in the right direction!

Front (keep in mind my undersuit was not on for this)

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Here's the back, I didn't slap the spine piece on.Don't mind my chicken legs, I didn't strap on the shins :-|

IMG_4406.PNG

and lastly, I can maybe become a Boomco pistol modeler some day :p

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Fantastic!!!! looks great........As far as the Boomco modeler...........we all have our own dreams............but think positive.......Suit looks AWESOME.

Fantastic!!!! looks great........As far as the Boomco modeler...........we all have our own dreams............but think positive.......Suit looks AWESOME.

thank you kindly! i'll see if my boomco dreams come to fruition someday ;)

Awesome work on the suit! And as far as I'm concerned with BoomCo: At the moment, I have two disassembled M6 Blasters on my desk, waiting for some kind of magnetic holster thing (still figureing out, how to make it work the best way), some sanding and a nice repaint. And later in the year - as soon as it comes to the online toy shops, so I can order one - this baby will be the next piece to get customized: http://goo.gl/uT9TQ5

Awesome work on the suit! And as far as I'm concerned with BoomCo: At the moment, I have two disassembled M6 Blasters on my desk, waiting for some kind of magnetic holster thing (still figureing out, how to make it work the best way), some sanding and a nice repaint. And later in the year - as soon as it comes to the online toy shops, so I can order one - this baby will be the next piece to get customized: http://goo.gl/uT9TQ5

im in the same boat, figuring out how to get magnets to be strong enough to be reliable for it!

im in the same boat, figuring out how to get magnets to be strong enough to be reliable for it!

I've found some nice & strong little magnets on amazon.de, but they seem to deliver their full "adhesive powers" only, if they are directly connected to some metal. For placing the gun on the armor that means, the gun would need some plane area, where the magnets can be connected to the suit, which would result in changing the outer shape of the gun - I'm trying to avoid this. The other way round, I could let some "connectors" stick out of the armor, that roughly follow the weapons shape and make the connection, but this would make the holstering-process a bit painful, especially when thinking about rifle on your back... So, that's the point where I am now.

Would be perfect to have some kind of "heavy duty magnets", that even stick to some metal, if there are some millimeters and some material between them and the metal... But no experiences with this stuff on my side.

I'll keep you updated. ;)

I've found some nice & strong little magnets on amazon.de, but they seem to deliver their full "adhesive powers" only, if they are directly connected to some metal. For placing the gun on the armor that means, the gun would need some plane area, where the magnets can be connected to the suit, which would result in changing the outer shape of the gun - I'm trying to avoid this. The other way round, I could let some "connectors" stick out of the armor, that roughly follow the weapons shape and make the connection, but this would make the holstering-process a bit painful, especially when thinking about rifle on your back... So, that's the point where I am now.

Would be perfect to have some kind of "heavy duty magnets", that even stick to some metal, if there are some millimeters and some material between them and the metal... But no experiences with this stuff on my side.

I'll keep you updated. ;)

Has anyone tried doing something with electromagnets? Not sure what kind of power you would need but might work. Wouldn't help with any kind of orientation though.

GOOD NEWS ON ALL FRONTS. Well, mostly!

Just about all the little things that needed to get done have been finished and now I can wear the suit. ALSO - I took apart the boomco, and put some strong magnets from Ace hardware in there. I didn't expect much but they work! I'll explain more below

Here are some pictures of me wearing it with my SAW (Courtesy of Shawn Thorsson I should mention. He gave me the kit. It's awesome)

pMTAOzX.jpg

uoEZNmi.jpg

cIDCYlZ.jpg

Now for the gun - I placed magnets on the inner thigh, by drilling through some of the foam, securing the magnet inside the magnet shaped hole, and then making sure magnets still could stick through the foam. Success. I put two magnets in.

The boomco, I took apart (well, mostly) as in, I took all the screws out, pried open the trigger assembly and stuck a magnet right above the trigger assembly. Then I epoxyed one on the inside of the slide so that it would match up with my two magnets inside the thigh. Success! The gun sticks, is easy to pull off and doesn't come off from walking. The magnets are simple ones from Ace called SUPER MAGNETS (aptly named I guess) in a yellow and blue packaging. I got ones about 1/2" in diameter. They're simple, they were inexpensive, and they work. No complaints here. I primered the pistol and tested it before actually painting it because I didn't want to mess up the paint

eE4qTa9.jpg

So as for Emile, the grenades sag, the back spine isn't done (at all) and the armor lock module I'm making isn't done. But the front is pretty much done. I also want to make a better visor down the road. But for now - yipee!

Oh, I also need a Reach shotgun. Back to the shop!

Nice! Looks sick and that is really cool about the magnets :)

The boomco, I took apart (well, mostly) as in, I took all the screws out, pried open the trigger assembly and stuck a magnet right above the trigger assembly. Then I epoxyed one on the inside of the slide so that it would match up with my two magnets inside the thigh. Success! The gun sticks, is easy to pull off and doesn't come off from walking.

So you used at least 4 magnets - 2 at the thigh and 2 inside (which means, the magnets do not connect directly) the gun, right? Sounds, perfect. In this case I just have to find stronger magnets than the ones I've already tested with... :thumbsup

By the way: Have to say it again and again... Stunning work on the suit...!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back