Emile - Halo Reach foam build for PAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you used at least 4 magnets - 2 at the thigh and 2 inside (which means, the magnets do not connect directly) the gun, right? Sounds, perfect. In this case I just have to find stronger magnets than the ones I've already tested with... :thumbsup

By the way: Have to say it again and again... Stunning work on the suit...!!! :D

Yes! the magnets are probably separated by about half an inch in total (I drilled out some of the foam so that it was a closer fit) and the boomco obviously isn't very thick. I was pleased to find out it worked well. I was even more surprised that store bought magnets would be strong enough. But I had some laying around and they work!

Also, thanks for the kind words!

Well the suit is done, but now I finally got to test it out! We held a 405th costuming panel on Saturday this weekend at Silicon Valley comic con. The panel had a great turn out which was astounding because the room number didn't even correspond to the room number listed on the program guide. Anyway, the suit worked out great with only one or two blemishes. One being my grenade belt is kind of heavy and may require a bit of a rethink as to how to mount it and two, my neck piece was a mess. the balaclava kept riding up and I'm debating sewing it onto my undersuit to keep the bottom from flaring up.

Either way, the convention was a blast, I was glad to see some 405th members there and even another Emile who has an outstanding suit! Met a few legends including Stan Lee and Adam Savage and although I've met them before, got to see Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk at the convention as well. I'll be part of another 405th panel at Wondercon this coming weekend and hope to see anyone who can make it there!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Very cool!!! Super Jealous. Where was The Hyneman? Suit look FANTASTIC!!!

You say that you already met Adam Savage and Stan Lee like it was nothing!!!!:lol
Anyway this was a really beautiful build and I cant wait too see more from you!

It wouldn't be a real con unless there was some intense rushing involved, right? Wondercon is around the corner and I needed something more appropriate than my boomco pistol. Monday I thought to myself 'yeah I can make a shotgun in a few days'

wrong
WRONG

I'm not even done assembling it and we leave Friday morning so this is going to be tight. I'm still semi hopeful. The shotgun started in life from 3/4" PVC (1" in total diameter) that I had laying around. I also had an abundance of 6mm and 2mm craft foam from Emile's suit. I also had a fair bit of MDF around from making the buck for Emile's visor. So away we go!

FullSizeRender[4].jpg

The black foam is the 6mm foam that's wrapped and glued around the pvc. The pvc pipes are separate by nearly 1/4" rounded blocks of mdf. I tried to put the blocks in pieces that wouldn't get in the way later.

All the detail is either added with the grey 2mm foam or 'etched' with my hot knife or dremel.

FullSizeRender[3].jpg

The MDF grip is made of MDF because strength. It was driled into the PVC so my handle doesn't pop off while I'm holding the thing out. I used leftover picatinny rails from my grenade launcher build for the top rails. It's not the prettiest build, but I only had a few hours each day after work to tackle it. If I can assemble and seal it tonight, I can paint it all tomorrow. Crunch time!

OKAY, before I head to work, I have sprayed on 3 coats of plastidip, and 2 coats of primer on top of that (I know plasti is technically a primer, but I just feel better this way). I've got maybe 7 hours after work before leaving for Wondercon. This surely means I'll be in a car with a smelly shotgun. I'm hoping it will fit in a sealed box so it doesn't smell too bad. Emile needs a little touch up inbetween coats of paint. Sooo here's to twiddling my thumbs until I can get back to it

FullSizeRender[5].jpg

Try hitting it w/ a heat gun for a little bit.....or put it in a really hot room. Seal it in a box, put the box in your car....leave it in the sun to bake for a little bit.....little salt and seasoning.....presto cake.....I mean shotgun!!!

Try hitting it w/ a heat gun for a little bit.....or put it in a really hot room. Seal it in a box, put the box in your car....leave it in the sun to bake for a little bit.....little salt and seasoning.....presto cake.....I mean shotgun!!!

Finished the shotgun today around 5pm and clear coated it and left it outside to air out for a bit. might put it by a window tomorrow for the drive. sorry i missed your previous post - i appreciate the kind words! the hyneman was not there unfortunately

omg please come here and make armour for me *.*

very flattering! luckily, i had no real building talent or prowess when i first started. i firmly believe anyone can do it! and if you need any help or tips, i can help with that :)

very flattering! luckily, i had no real building talent or prowess when i first started. i firmly believe anyone can do it! and if you need any help or tips, i can help with that :)

Don't worry on that front........I will be picking your brain.......

Wondercon 2016 is completed and I have returned home after putting my Emile suit through rigorous testings of bumping into everything, jumping off of ledges and making silly poses! The 405th photoshoot was a blast, and the booth was a great place for us all to hang out and catch up.

Here's a few pictures from the weekend

Marissa Russo - image (2).jpeg

2016-03-26 15.39.54.jpg

2016-03-26 16.03.34.jpg

kristel choy - P1020474.JPG

and lastly, Noble team survives! Well...at least 4 of us did

2016-03-26 15.25.46.jpg

Hope you all had a happy Easter and if you were at the con - Hope you had a blast like I did!

You guys look FANTASTIC!!!!! what happened in the 3rd picture? Did you miss the memo? Everyone is checking the time but you........you ruined the picture......

You guys look FANTASTIC!!!!! what happened in the 3rd picture? Did you miss the memo? Everyone is checking the time but you........you ruined the picture......

i know right? i dont even remember them saying 'everyone look at your watch' i just remember looking around after going '..did i miss something?' aw crap!

Go back and take it again.......and AI's shouldn't be playing w/ guns.......:behave

Aw no ODSTs?? HERESY!!
But nah it looks fkin awesome, very well done :D

unfortunately my ODST costume is resting on a mannequin. he's a bit beat up! we usually have a pretty high ODST turn out now that you mention it

A buddy on here pointed me at a reddit link of someone posting my Emile armor to r/photoshopbattles. Some of them were hilarious

gBkoebZ.png

2a1KcUy.jpg

LzK1XR9.jpg

Anyway, dusting the 2 week cobwebs off soon here and getting Emile down to LA in a few weeks. Woohoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back