Experimenting With Mud Glassing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mud glassing is absolutely fantastic. I use FG mat in the large flat areas and cloth everywhere else. The end product is so tough if you go thick enough that my friend cracked his hand when punching my chest plate. I warned him! Its a bit heavy, but totally manageable, and a million times easier that regular fiberglassing. I wouldn't ever rondo without the glass. It is too flexible and prone to cracking. FG is a key step!

Roadwarrior said:
The mesh tape? Well, it's a self adhesive tape so that's a huge plus, I usually use 1 to 2 layer's of it so the rondo has more to grab on to, here's a pic:

[attachment=15867:picture 918.jpg]

Oh. I have some of those. This is gonna sound really noobish but Im kinda confused. Do you slush the rondo then put the mat, or do you resin a little stick the mat on the resin then rondo over?

Last edited by a moderator:
llinformerll said:
Oh. I have some of those. This is gonna sound really noobish but Im kinda confused. Do you slush the rondo then put the mat, or do you resin a little stick the mat on the resin then rondo over?

i resined outside... then once completely cured i slushed rondo, placed FG on the still liquid rondo, then put a bit of rondo (or you could just use resin) on top to completely saturate + smooth over sharp points

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey you think you could just mud or rondo the outside so it would be super strong plus you could detail it and you have to do only one coat?

I think that would make it easier, cheaper, stronger, more time efficient, and you skip a step.

for detailing the outside you would want to use a 4:1 ratio bond:resin (as seen in ben streeper's videos), and use the bondo hardener. this creates a different type of rondo, which is easier to sand and detail with.

and you cannot just rondo the outside like it were resin and expect it to be strong, because for helmets you need a very thick layer of rondo, with the fiberglass support to have a helmet that you can drop from a height. for you to have enough mud on the outside of your helmet, your helmet would look like a big grey blob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back