Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Palmer) Build [+ more]

So are you air-brushing, spray-painting or actually paintbrush painting the hex pattern?

So are you air-brushing, spray-painting or actually paintbrush painting the hex pattern?

By hand. :D Using brush.
Spray-painted didn't look good to me.

On the picture on the left - brushed by hand with a brush and sprayed on the right. I didn't really like the effect of sprayed. It was just an experiment, so I didn't care.
For the final, picture on the right - as it's the suit I'll be using I go more carefully, but it's all brushed with hand using sponge brush. Yup, have to fill every single hex... But I'm satisfied with the result, so I have the motivation... should finish it in a month, LOL.
DSC00809.JPGDSC00813.JPG

When is your deadline? do you have a dead line? looks great. Fantastic, even!!

When is your deadline? do you have a dead line? looks great. Fantastic, even!!

Initially I wished to have it completed by April 6th, but yeah - not even halfway done - there is a convention I wanted to go, but I can't anyway.
What my real deadline is Gamescom - August 18-21. I want to go there, so I'll have to have it finished by then. I still have about 4-5 months to go... So I'll surely finish it by then. :)

April 6th? why wouldn't you have it ready by then? you are pumping out pieces like they were off an assembly line......what do you have left?

April 6th? why wouldn't you have it ready by then? you are pumping out pieces like they were off an assembly line......what do you have left?

Well, no way. xD
I have not a single armor piece finished yet. o.o Pretty much - nothing. o.o
Everything it work-in-progress, more or less.
Thigh pieces aren't even hardened yet, just pepped. ^^"

Alright. Today work's results.
Finally painted the remaining soft parts and to be honest I'm very happy how these came out. What I'm not happy with is the photo. Came out very crappy. :/
They look so much better in person. v_v

As a bonus - I experimented and tried doing a plasma burn on the undersuit from a plasma shot. I can't really say, is it a good or bad idea?

DSC00816.JPG

I thin they all look amazing in the picture so I can't imagine what they look like in person.

As usual, they look FANTASTIC!!!

I thin they all look amazing in the picture so I can't imagine what they look like in person.

Haha, thank you. xD

As usual, they look FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks. ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Also, today I did some touches to the finished armor pieces.
Something was really bugging me - I weathered them, made scratches and damage... but they looked too clean.
I forgot to do some dust, dirt and mud! Mostly dirt and dust.
So, today I corrected that. Everything is dirtier now, but also on the shoes and lower parts I did some mud, mainly on the shoes. :)

DSC00821.JPGDSC00822.JPGDSC00823.JPGDSC00825.JPGDSC00826.JPGDSC00827.JPG

Looks fabulous. As always. When ready, this build will be frightfully good, no doubt about it.
Question : where did you dig the hex stencil up from ? Hex pattern isn't something I'm aiming to in include just right now, maybe for the 2nd suit/undersuit that I plan for end of the year.

I've found some hex stencils at http://deathraydesigns.com/product/hex-pattern-airbrush-stencils/ but I was wondering If you have something more locally available.

It looks like you will be able to get ready for Gamescom :)

This is looking amazing! But one thing can't quite figure out...how did you get that paint effect on your armor pieces? With all the paint chipping off and stuff? It looks like genuine metal.

Looks fabulous. As always. When ready, this build will be frightfully good, no doubt about it.
Question : where did you dig the hex stencil up from ? Hex pattern isn't something I'm aiming to in include just right now, maybe for the 2nd suit/undersuit that I plan for end of the year.

I've found some hex stencils at http://deathraydesigns.com/product/hex-pattern-airbrush-stencils/ but I was wondering If you have something more locally available.

Thanks! I'm doing my very best, all I can and even more. xD
I bought small stencils online in my country on a website similar to eBay.
It's quite small, as you can see on the photo below. Also it isn't made from metal, it's a material used for pads under beers - in Poland they call it beermat, never heard of it earlier. xD
But I got them cheap, I bought 3 or 4 to get the same price for shipping, paid like 5$?

DSC00835.JPG

It looks like you will be able to get ready for Gamescom :)

I really hope so or I won't forgive myself - finished or not I'm going! XD

This is looking amazing! But one thing can't quite figure out...how did you get that paint effect on your armor pieces? With all the paint chipping off and stuff? It looks like genuine metal.

Thank you very much! Wow, I'm genuinely very happy you say it imitates real metal. That means my work was done right and the desired effect is there. :D
I had been asked few times about how I paint my stuff... and I'll do a tutorial soon on that. ;)

A sneak peek, I'll be using the butt piece to turn it from this to that:

DSC00838.JPG

Also, here is a comparison of how the shoe looked before, when it irked me as it was too clean.
And how it looks after I made it nice and dirty, lulz. Now I'm very happy - all I wanted to add was dirt and dust. Just a little bit of mud, some small splashes. I didn't want to make it like I was swimming in the mud.

shoe.JPG

Thank you very much! Wow, I'm genuinely very happy you say it imitates real metal. That means my work was done right and the desired effect is there. :D
I had been asked few times about how I paint my stuff... and I'll do a tutorial soon on that. ;)

View attachment 25050[/QUOTE]

Okay cool. :) I tried earlier by painting on some gunmetal as a base coat and ripping pieces of tape and placing them, and then spraying on the color of the armor and peeling off the tape. It looks okay but I'm not sure if that's how you did it or not.

View attachment 25050

Okay cool. :) I tried earlier by painting on some gunmetal as a base coat and ripping pieces of tape and placing them, and then spraying on the color of the armor and peeling off the tape. It looks okay but I'm not sure if that's how you did it or not.[/QUOTE]

No. I didn't do it like that.
On the left, the buttpiece is what I use as a base. All my pieces look like that. I paint everything on top of it and it eventually turns into what looks on the right.
The buttpiece on the left is just pure base coat - underneath is just primer I used earlier. Everything I'll do with it will be painted on top of it. ^^

I've seen many people use this technique of doing gunmetal as base coat and then covering with tape or silicone or something and then peel it off. Other people use the "dry brush" technique.
There are many techniques for painting. :D

Lol, earlier today you posted something, and I was reminded that a couple of weeks ago I asked you about doing a paint tutorial! Awesome work as usual! Can't wait to see what else you got in store for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back